1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tanking for a top 4 pick is not how it used to be.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Apr 8, 2021.

1. WestendMassive

Can anyone explain to me why OKC can swap Miami's pick with ours instead of theirs?

It wouldn't be so catastrophic if we ended up having to swap #6 for #9 if that's how it fell, but swapping #6 for #18 would be a massive problem for H-Town.

saleem likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Although I don't fault him for being pushed to do the deal, I sometimes wonder what was the hurry? I don't remember anymore, but were OKC that close on trading Russ elsewhere? I wonder if Morey could of asked Tilman to wait to prevent losing precious draft capital.

HP3 and WestendMassive like this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

It is what it is. There’s nothing we can do about it.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This draft lottery is going to be stressful as hell.

5. WestendMassive

And it's not until June 22 so we will play out every conceivable scenario in our heads before then

ashleyem and ElPigto like this.
  6. WestendMassive

Tankathon is scary af too. Sometimes we get #1 and it's all gravy but look at this for a nightmare scenario

[​IMG]

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, Tillman overrode him on the coaching situation and that was the last straw for Morey.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden and Tillman were probably pushing to make this happen as soon as possible. I doubt Morey would be in a hurry to trade for a player he didnt want and with compensation.

9. vince

vince Member

I know, right.

I saw an article by OKC, how they are hoping the Rockets end up with the worst record, as this draft is 5 guys deep who are rated as star players. So, they could end up with the #5 pick in the draft, and how the percentages are worth the risk.

Houston fans aren’t the only ones wanting a tank, so too are the OKC Thunder fans.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Olynyk is the real price for tanking....

fattz and RustyHarden like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have no idea. If we fall to #5 it goes to OKC.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

What choice do we have other than praying for the ping pong balls going our way?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wait. There's a lottery?

WestendMassive likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

The Rockets won a coin flip for the right to pick Hakeem. Had they lost the coin flip, could they have picked Michael Jordan as a consolidation prize?

In this coin flip, it’s either a bona fide blue chip talent, or a late first round flyer... Not the coin flip of the past.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

The league changed the odds to persuade hardcore tanking. But that’s not the main problem.The main problem is the pick swap with OKC. Without that the worst you get is the 5th pick if you have the worst record. In a 5 deep draft like this, the consolidation prize wouldn’t be too bad.

16. OpportunityCost

If we get the #9th pick I hope we can draft Bouknight.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Cool site. I had us in the top 4 8/10 times. Number 1 1/10.

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Can’t believe Morey the analytical genius didn’t put a top 5 protection on the pick.

fattz likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They own their own pick and Miami's pick in this draft. When we traded for Westbrook, we gave the right to a pick swap to them as part of the deal. This pick swap basically says this :

If the Rockets do not land a pick between 1 and 4, OKC gets the right to swap either their own pick or Miami's pick, which OKC also owns, with the Rockets' pick. As it stands, since OKC's own pick will be higher than Miami's pick, there's no way they're going to swap that pick to the Rockets, so they'll swap Miami's pick instead. In essence, OKC would keep the 2 most favorable picks -- the Rockets' and their own, while the Rockets would end up with Miami's pick.

If the Rockets land a pick between 1 and 4, they would keep that pick and OKC would keep Miami's pick (and their own).

20. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

[​IMG]