1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tank Revisited - the situation has changed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Choose a new course. Wait no longer. Choose a path. There are too many ok players on this team. I did not renew my season tickets because this team isn't going anywhere. Trust me - right about now, fans could not care less about the team. Attendance will suck if you win 20 games or 42 games.

GO BIG or FIRE SALE/PLAY THE KIDDOS/TANK

Yes, we have heard this before. BUT -- before, we did not have Lamb, Jones and Donuts to develop (Jones does nothing for me). We have to find out what we have.

GO BIG -- Push for some combo Dwight/Deron/JSmith. Doubt it works, but I don't mind trying. If it doesn't, blow it up.

FIRE SALE/PLAY THE KIDS/TANK

Lowry - Nash will declare. After that, deal Lowry for unprotected first or limited protection.
    Lee - SnT somewhere.
    Scola - package in deal or amnesty. We don't need Scola taking up minutes or helping us win.
    Camby - forget about it.
    Martin - Deal as expiring to a contender.

Gogi - Sign him. He's still young enough.
    Asik, McGee, Gordon -- go for it.
    Play Lamb. Parsons. White. Marcus Morris. D Motie.

I'll watch the kids play. I'll watch the kids lose. I'll monitor their progress.

DO NOT BRING BACK A DAMN 40 WIN TEAM.

For the first time in years, we had a hard time giving away our tickets. It wasn't worth the effort to go to the TC to watch live. Worse, I prefered to watch Storage Wars over the Rockets games.

For the record, I'm a Morey supporter. Most moves have been minor, but successful. We don't know of any deals he turned down that he should have made. The things that have not worked were justifiable risks. Nobody bats 1.000.

But the situation has changed. We now have a nucleus of young talent that must be allowed to grow. If you really want to be a champion, GO BIG or LET THE KIDS PLAY.

1 person likes this.
  2. allanivan

allanivan Member

5 stars thread!!! We need young talents and development from them. Scola, Martin and lowry needs to be traded for young talents or future picks. I'd rather watch young'uns developing instead of very predictable results and players performance. Mcfail does not have an offensive system to help team win more games.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

But Lowry is a young talent

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I understand your feelings that we should do one or the other, especially with the new talent (ESP montj and white). However, I do think based on
    the various rumors it seems like Lowry, Martin and scolds have been heavily shopped and are basically gone. They're just trying to get as close to 100 cents on the dollar as possible. It may be they need to take 50 cents, but they're holding out as long as possible to maybe get 80 cents. For example, plan a is Dwight, plan b maybe Bynum, c is Gasol, etc. I have. I doubts they will be gone but if you're getting lowballed you need to work some more to get as much value back as possible. I think if they whIff on their main plans they will rebuild.

5. allanivan

allanivan Member

See u have to choose between lowry and dragic! Based on the contract situation, we need try to keep dragic and trade lowry for more value for this team. I'll do the same if the contract situation is other way around, keep Lowry and trade dragic

6. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

This is clearly what is happening. Lowry was a piece in the trade for number 5 and is a hopeful piece for either Dwight or some other trade, but he's clearly gone unless the rockets only get lowball offers (40 cents) for him.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. If no significant deals/FA signings are made this offseason, BLOW.IT.UP. I will be perfectly happy watching the young guys play and hopefully develop.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks, but everybody knows this. We should have ditched it all the moment Yao's foot gave out (AGAIN) vs. LAL in 2009. Scola should really not have been re-signed. The Martin add was a good add, and would have worked better if Yao had a future, but he didn't. Leslie thought he could milk the YaoCow a bit longer, won't allow Morey to tank, and Morey's good enough to keep a starless team respectable and we have the current situation.

There's not really that much more to say than that. You have various idiots running around claiming that since Morey isn't a jock, it something something Rudy Gay is on Kevin Durant's level blah blah fail fire morey - that's irrelevant.

Those people are idiots, do not listen to them, in fact, if you see them walking down the street, cross to the other side, as they may be attempting to chew gum and inadvertently veer into you, causing contusions and fractures.

1 person likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

what if the young guns manage 44 wins? What happens to the Panzers?
    will the interentz melt down?

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with your phylosophy but you keep Lee because he is so young but let the rebuilding begin.

Front Court Starters:
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Royce White
    Chandler Parsons

Why this group? This is a very high ceiling front court. DMo and Royce could be the best passing big men coming into the league at the same for the Rockets ever. Yao was considered great. Sampson and Mcray are probably the best pair of passing big men to come to the Rockets at one time up to this point. DMo and Royce have a chance to be special.

On the offensive end of the floor these two have a chance to become a nightmare for other teams. Both players have advanced low post skills. Both players are exceptional passers. DMo might be the most offensively polished 7 foot rookie coming into this season. Royce is not only the strongest Rookie by far but he attacks the basket like Charles Barkley and passes like Larry Bird.

On the defensive end of the court Chandler Parsons is already an elite defender. Royce White is not a player I want covering most players away from the but from what I've seen he's a pretty good defender in the post. He is strong and can not be moved off of his spot. I would actually see him defending most of the centers because of his strength. I just don't know about DMos defense but from what I've seen the kid hustles his ass off. I think DMo has more than enough athltisism to step on the court and guard the stretch 4s in the NBA.

In transition is where I think this group would excel at imeadiately. When Ralph Sampson came into the league it was said that he had the best outlet pass in the league, now enter Royce White. For anyone that has not not watched any of the Royce White videos do it, the man is a magician passing the ball and has a couple of lethal outlet pin point across the court passes. We already know Chandler Parsons can run and I think we have all seen the videos of DMo by now. Personally I have visions of Royce grabbing the rebound and leading the break. When I think about Gogi running with that group the Rockets could be one of the best running teams in the league.

Rebounding is another area this group could excel in. Royce is an excellent rebounder. DMo drastically improved his rebounding this year. Once both these guys learn the NBA game I could see both of them averaging 9+ rebounds a game.

Starting Back Court
    Goran Dragic
    Jeremy Lamb

If Goran continues where he left off last season he is the player we want at point guard for the better part of the next decade. He's one of the best finishers in the game with a very good 3pt shot and very good defense. Jeremy Lamb may take a couple of years to develop but he shot the highest percentage of all shooting guards in the Draft inside the three point line making 61% of his 2pt shots. He is going to have his problems with stronger shooting guards posting him up until he adds some muscle to his frame but he should still be a good open court defender. along with Motiejunas and Royce, Lamb is a very high ceiling guy.

Reserves
    Marcus Morris
    Patrick Paterson
    Shaun Livingston
    Courtney Lee
    Marcus Camby
    Terrence Jones
    Omar Asik (free agent)
    Sergio Llull (next season)

Fire Sale
    Kevin Martin
    Luis Scola
    Kyle Lowry

All were good players but for different reasons it's time for them to go. I'm a big Scola fan but he is not going to be relivent when this team is a contender again. Lowry is never going to be happy going back to a reserve role. Martin is over priced, grumpy and injury prone, he made since with RA as coach and Yao as the center but those days are gone.

Rookies
    Donatas Motiejunas, Royce White and Jeremy Lamb are all very high upside guys. This could be one of the absolute best rookie classes of any team in the league, of course as with all rookie classes it's just potential at this point. I think Royce Whit will become the Rockets leader at some point as I see a lot of Alpha Male in him which is something the Rockets have missed since Hakeem.

Start this group now and let them get through their growing pains. The Rockets might struggle to win 30 games this coming season but they will be a lot of fun to watch and in a couple of years this could be one of the best core group of players in the NBA. In the mean time maybe they can get something better than the 14th pick in the draft next season.

1 person likes this.
  11. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

So...

Free Agency hasn't started yet...

12. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

yea I didn't renew my season tickets this year either. I am still gonna go to some game no matter what tho. But really the Rockets have been so disappointing that I can't stand to watch them sometimes.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with the OP on every point except that the situation has changed. We should have done this two seasons ago. And if we had, we'd be watching considerably higher quality young talent develop this year. Still, better late than never.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

If the young guns manage 44 wins, everyone would be ecstatic. 44 wins with the young guns would be the floor not the ceiling.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

THIS!

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, and have for the last few years.

Let's hope the team does as well.

DD

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Going young and playing the young guys is not tanking, it's building for the future. When I hear the word tanking, I think of players and coaches not trying to win. I want to see the young guys trying as hard as they can to win. I want to see McHale trying to win as many games as possible with the players he has available. I want Morey to acquire as much young talent and as many draft picks as possible. It's not tanking, it's just building a team that can compete for a championship for years to come.

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

In my original post, I refered to Jones as a high potential player, but mean nt Royce White. Jones does nothign for me.

I say that the situation has changed b/c I don't fault management for hanging onto the hope of yao and tmac's health. As is painfully obvious, it's damn hard to find star level players and when you have them, you ride it until they keel over. You could argue that they should have blown things up last year. But they didn't have as many gotta-play youngsters w talent.

Frankly, look at San Antonio. You can argue that their window is closed. Their guys are still effective, but they can't beat OKC or Maimi. But I don't fault SA for riding theiir guys till the end.

19. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

And next years draft should include several actually good big men.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

San Antonio won four championships with those guys. That's an entirely different situation. Very few, if any, people were suggesting we trade Olajuwon because his knees were shot at the end of his career. To the contrary, most of us were very disappointed he wasn't able to end his career here. He had earned that right.

Yao and T-Mac is an entirely different situation. And I'm not upset they let Yao ride it out until the end. That's fine. But I agree that they should have began the rebuilding process (even with Yao still on the roster) as soon as he went down in the 2009 Playoffs.