1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talks heat up between Jordan, Bucks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Houstone, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Houstone

Houstone Member

Takeover talks involving Michael Jordan's ownership group and the Milwaukee Bucks have intensified in recent days, raising the possibility that Jordan could be in charge of his own franchise as soon as July, league sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

The growing sentiment around the league is that Jordan is only interested in a front-office return to the NBA if he has full decision-making power with his new club. Sources said that is why Jordan is pursuing the purchase of the Bucks from Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.) -- with commissioner David Stern serving as an intermediary -- instead of taking Robert Johnson's offer to join the expansion franchise in Charlotte.

Jordan's negotiations with Milwaukee are "very hot," according to one league source. Kohl is openly trying to sell the franchise, reportedly for at least $170 million. Even if talks with the Bucks break down, sources said Jordan is adamant that any team he joins would have to afford him final say on all basketball decisions.

Jordan did not wield that influence in Washington, even during his 21 months as the Wizards' president of basketball operations from January 2000 to September 2001. After a two-season unretirement, Jordan hoped to reclaim his presidential post, but Wizards owner Abe Pollin instead dumped Jordan on May 7.

Jordan lives in northern Illinois, about an hour away from Milwaukee.

While Johnson is so eager to bring Jordan to Charlotte (Johnson says a contract could be hammered out "in five minutes"), Jordan would never have a stronger say than the owner. It is believed Jordan is willing to invest at least $50 million of his own money -- a departure from Jordan's previous reliance on the worth of his name and reputation in exchange for an ownership stake -- to secure operational control.

The Bucks and the Atlanta Hawks are the only NBA teams known to be available for purchase at the present, but Texas businessman David McDavid signed a letter of intent April 30 to buy the Hawks, the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers and Philips Arena from AOL Time Warner. McDavid's exclusive negotiating period to buy those properties expired over the weekend, but spokesman Greg Hughes told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday that it's simply "a complex deal that requires a little more time."

Jordan has been linked with the Bucks since late last month. The link only grew stronger during the NBA Finals, when NBA commissioner David Stern volunteered that it's "his strong sense" that Jordan will be back in the league by the start of next season. Asked specifically about the Bucks as the June 6 interview session was ending, Stern said: "I would love to see that happen."

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1569946.html

2. smackpeddler

smackpeddler Member

Excellent post Sir. I believe that MJ will make a good owner. He has never had full control in the past. Good luck MJ, maybe he can re-sign Payton

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I heard this on the radio today and was quite suprised. Its like this came out of nowhere.

I don't understand MJ's motivation sometimes. This is very confusing to me.

4. SLA

SLA Member

And then......HE RETURNS TO PLAY!

Gary Payton. Sam Cassell. Toni Kukoc. Michael Jordan. Oldies All Star Team.

The Bucks will be screwed even more if he buys them...why Milwaukee??

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Go away Mike. Please go away

6. silentfan

silentfan Member

Egos never die.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The same qualities that made him a great player are making him a bad former player. The guy just won't quit.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Can't a guy just be laid back and retire with his millions? Gimme a break. I hope he doesn't do to the Bucks what he did to the Wizards...

9. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

Can't a guy do what he loves? I only wish i loved what i did for a living that much. Jordan obviously can't play anymore (at least at the level he would like) however i don't see anything wrong with him trying to stay involved in other ways, coach, owner, VP etc. The man has a passion for the game, how many of you would pass up the chance to own an NBA team? Also Jordan just as much good if not more than bad for the Wizards.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

How the Grinch stole basketball.

11. silentfan

silentfan Member

Jordan already proved he is not a good GM with the job he pulled over at the wizards. He hand picked his players and coach then later turns around and bad mouths them after every loss (it seems). It's not a coincidence that soon after jordan got FIRED his hand picked coach got FIRED. Jordan will foul up the bucks just the way he did the wizards. The best he did for the wizards was put butts in the seats when he was a player (and played for cheap) to offset all the wrong he did for that franchise--the effects of which will last years. He probably set them back about 10 years or so. Jordan might be a good coach but we'll never know because he's already said he doesn't want the day to day pressure and blame from being a coach...guess he's too big and bad to do something like that when he can be an owner somewhere...

12. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

I don't know how long you've been watching basketball but maybe you've forgotten the state of the Wizards before Jordan got there (i.e huge, ridiculous contracts and yet the team was dead last). He almost managed to get them into the playoffs twice and given more time would probably have done it in the next two seasons. He's not a great GM but he's definetly not bad either, but there is no way in hell you can say this team is worse off now than when Jordan arrived. The problem is the media as usual hyped him up and hence everybody expected miracles. The fact of the matter is it's a new job for him and he will make mistakes just like everybody else.

13. silentfan

silentfan Member

well every decent coaching prospect avoiding that place like the plague, even when they were offering the most $$$ and ownership. That doesn't sound like a salvageable coaching job if you look at how the coaching prospects dissed it. Barely getting into the playoffs in the leastern conference is not an accomplishment. That just means they sucked less than the other teams that year.