1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking the Charge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fuzzybear, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/the_art__tking__chrge_2010_09_27.html

It might just be me, but - one thing I have noticed is that it has become a lot tougher this year to take the charge. Officials are either swallowing their whistles more, or calling the block on a lot of questionable calls up to this point.

In a sense I feel like our entire defense has generally been dependent on the charge in place of the shotblocker, and that has been traditionally how we have been able to get away with small lineups in the past.

I would love to find stats that back up this claim, but nothing out there seems to have a total of offensive fouls drawn, but just observationally I've felt that we have lost this advantage over teams this year.

2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Good observation.

3. RocketMania1991

When your offense and defense are largely being relied on by the whistle then you should probably go a different route.

Good teams shouldn't need to rely on the referees to make the difference.

1 person likes this.
  4. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i agree. officials have swallowed their whistle this year...but they dont hesitate to call a tech when they see somebody frowning :rolleyes:

Good thread man. :grin:
    repped

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://hoopdata.com/teamstats.aspx

See CHG column, which is offense fouls drawn. We were 1st last year. We are 13th this year.

Also, we are 19th this year in blocks per game, and 26th last year.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Thanks for the info durvasa - naturally you would be the person to go to with this kind of question.

It's a pretty big difference:

3.1 CHG a game drawn last year (League Avg 1.8)
    1.6 for this year (League Avg 1.6)

looking at the stats, it seems a lot of the teams which drew large numbers of charges last year have decreased along with us.

GSW 2.3 to 1.6
    IND 2.3 to 1.1
    NYK 2.3 to 1.7

some have increased (wonder what Milwaukee is doing to go from 2.7 to 3.6).

Small Sample size sure, but it's a pretty drastic change for us to be sure. Without charges, Shane and Chuck are probably hit the hardest. It's probably why I am pointing them out more than ever this year.

7. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Interesting stuff...looking at charges drawn per game, there were 20 teams last season that averaged above 1.5 drawn per game. That number has decreased to 15 teams this season.

Similarly, there were 9 teams that drew over 2 charges per game last season. That number has decreased to 4 teams this season.

Also, the league average for charges drawn per game was 1.8 last season, and this season it is 1.6 (the lowest average in the last 5 seasons).

All the data points to either less attempts at drawing charges (unlikely) or referees not calling them as much.

#7 HeWhoIsLunchbox, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. Rocketfanatic2

Good observation and good find durvasa, you beat me to it. Would it be valid to say our team might not be as tough as before. Could it be a coaching issue?

9. PeppermintCandy

I wonder if it's a matter of the Rockets not getting the calls or if it's because they're not attempting to draw as many charges this year.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe they're just paying more attention to what really is and isn't a charge.

I think we've benefited from sliding under players after they've left their feet in the past few years. I wouldn't consider those charges.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks to me like they're just not in position as often to draw the charges.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think teams are also going at our weaker defenders more and they don't draw charges very well, or at least not at the rate Lowry, battier, and chuck get them.

13. txtodd

txtodd Member

RA also hasn't been going to Jared. He led the league in charges drawn last year.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Bingo. When your historic #1 ChargeTaker (Battier) relies on watching tape and pre-determining offensive players' tendencies, and he is noticebly slower and the officiating gets offset slightly to the offense...someone like Battier is not going to have the same value.

And I can't prove it. But my guess would be Lowery is/was #2 ChargeTaker and that's a lot harder to replicate as a starter.

As for Hayes, his mpg are down slightly. So even if he's taking the same number per minute, the overall per48 drops.