1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Takeaways from Stone’s media availability 1/17/21

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 17, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's best to keep it that way. He's been traded, it's just time to move on.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Of course Stone is going to say Harden wanted to go elsewhere while still in the bubble because it fits the narrative of what Fertitta has pushed ever since it was reported Harden wanted out.

Several times Harden has alluded to the reasons for leaving and in the few times he spoke as a Rocket and as a new Net, he mentioned the Rockets losing their GM, their head coach and one time mentioned Monte McNair as gone.

I personally am not giving the benefit of the doubt to Fertitta. After he bought the team the level of dishonesty went up in the organization from “creative math” to “We will pay the tax” every year, to their denial of substantiated claims... the Rockets organization now is very careful to scapegoat anything that can be viewed as an indictment of ownership.

At this point we just have to hope ownership learned from their mistakes and it is better going forward.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Really interesting. He will likely be more vocal moving forward. Sounds like they kept the relationship with harden alive for a potential future return (and to keep harden from verbally bashing the team on exit).

I like him. Can we keep him mom?

4. Nook

Nook Member

It was in no ones interest to burn any bridges. It isn’t like Harden hates the city of Houston or his time as a Rocket. He would have far preferred winning a title in Houston and at 31 doesn’t have much time left.

It only got as nasty as it did because they didn’t trade him and didn’t appear motivated to be in a hurry until Harden escalated the situation.

He will go to the Hall of Fame as a Rocket and is the second best player in team history.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Christ on a biscuit stop it. Dude quit he basically admitted it and fans are like "well he didnt mean it". He plays his ass off first game for BKN. No problem getting 30 lol He threw games so he could say "we dont have a enough I told ya so". That is a fact.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It also makes sense that Harden would want to portray the situation as he only wanted to leave once all these other guys started jumping ship. Better optics for him. Makes it appear less like he “quit” on the team, whether that would be a fair characterization or not.

I think Harden is smart enough to know that the franchise was not heading in the right direction as constructed and he probably gave clear signals about it soon after the end of last season. He didn’t need to see Morey leave to come to that realization.

anchel likes this.
  7. riddlebug

riddlebug Member

Normally don't post but the reactions to this press conference are ridiculous. He did the best deal he could with hand dealt. Hes already proven he has an eye for talent with his off-season pickups. People just need to relax and give him a chance

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good on Rafael.

The homers were misleading with the hope Harden would be staying.

Stone and Harden were adamant.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

my takeaway is @Clutch asked the best two questions

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Most interesting thing I took away was the intent to use that TPE. Whether that’s in conjunction with another deal, to gain an asset, to fill a hole created by dealing PJ or Oladipo...just thought that was interesting.

Bo6, Deuce, lilbird20 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

That is possible as well, but there has been no credible source that Harden asked to be traded prior to Morey saying he is leaving... and seeing that the HC, GM, McNair and Westbrook all got out of there as soon as possible it makes perfect sense why Harden didn’t want to stick around.

Deuce and HP3 like this.
  12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he decided last year. nothing this team could do. I hope he gets his title in NJ. Hell, maybe they can trade Kyrie for Russ and them boys can get their chip together.

The Rockets extended the situation to maximize return. I like it. Your dark side hate is not enough to sway me vader.

#32 studogg, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

So much better than Morley.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He didn't say that ... he said the immediate trade could have been due to energized other parties to the trade
    • The question already established that they'd been working on deals way before the Harden comment.
    • So, he was not denying they weren't already in serious discussions
    • He merely denied that Harden's comments made him "accelerate" the deal.
      "It didin't affect *ME* at all. [Maybe the other parties.]"

don grahamleone, DCHAMP, BigM and 5 others like this.
  15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Harden wanted out before then. Remember the whole "it's him or me! "Trade Chris Paul! We traded him for who he wanted and he still left. Nobody is to blame but James as far as why he is not here. He has been not wanting to be here. Harden only Fans are still in disbelief. This man did everything to leave not the other way around we didn't push him out. It's time to let it go, he's gone.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

'No problem'.

17. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I thought Harden said he never spoke to Stone before..

DCHAMP likes this.
  18. Rockets4Life13

Why would he adress it at all if he didnt believe it ( in case some reporter asked, ignore my comment)

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

A lot of PR bs, just what I'd expect from someone working for Tilman.

However, as long as he gets us through a good rebuild, all is forgiven.

Also, Dipo is almost good as gone at the deadline so I wouldn't get too attached. He wants the max in the off-season and I doubt we give it to him. With our TPE, I suspect we'll get back a bad contract for Oladipo while getting more picks.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't.