1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Take JWill with the #1 draft pick? Are you nuts?!?!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Okay,

We're over halfway through the season and MANY people thought we should take the most NBA 'ready' player with the number 1 pick and solidify the 'best' backcourt in the league.

Hmmm. I wish I could do a search and find out who all those Yao naysayers/Jay jock-riders were, but it seems that the bullsfans are finally seeing what Jerry Krause should've known...

The link won't work, but the popular opinion from those chicago fans 'in the know' are pretty much the same:

Can't shoot from the field
    Can't shoot free throws
    Can't defend worth a crap
    Can't get the hole as easily as in college(no kidding :rolleyes: )

His numbers aren't a 'bill walton' HORRRRRIBLE, but they certainly are not respectable for a #2 draft pick:
    9.2 points, 5.3 assists, 3 rebounds, and 1.4 steals....37% fg's , 56% ft's! :eek: in almost 30mpg.

As much as we bash Rudy and CD for some of their coaching and GM decisions, you have to applaud them for their great patience and willingness to work with the chinese government to bring Yao to Houston. They could've taken the easy road and drafted JWill to avoid all the 'red' tape, but they saw the greatness in our Yao(even though almost every sports writer couldn't) and did whatever it took to bring him here. Enjoy your player Chi-town! Because we'll sure enjoy ours!

PS: Choke on that GB! :)

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

A few months ago there was a Nets fan that came into the Rockets chatroom (I think his username was Michael Vick) who swore up and down that Jay Williams was a better PG then Steve Francis and ran an offense better then Francis and used Jay Will's triple-double against Kidd as proof. Man was THAT a long time ago!

3. carayip

carayip Member

Well sure Yao Ming is better than Jay Will.

But don't write Jay Will off as a complete bust yet. I seem to remember that Baron Davis averaged similar numbers like Jay Will in his rookie season and he became an all-star.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

but remember the hornets hardly played davis his rookie year unlike JWill who has played some significant minutes

5. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Jay Williams is definitely not a bust. He is like a Gary Payton. Payton struggled when he first entered the league. He should be similar

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

FYI: That was probably NYKRule.

Right now I have a hard time believing that Jay will end up as good as Payton or B.Davis, especially after he had such a successful college career.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Jay Will will still be a top 5 PG. He reminds of Marbury, with better shooting range...

But I wouldn't take him over Yao, mainly because Yao is a big man.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Davis was still recovering from an injury and was not 100% his rookie year.

Although Terry also had a bad first year and is now putting up a respectable 19 and 7...

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I agree payton wasn't that great when he first came into the league, but he shot 45% from the field and 71% at the FT line.

The argument on the bulls boards is that JWill can't shoot from ANYWHERE. :eek: Thats got to suck if you are any type of player, especially ones that are suppose to 'dominate' coming straight out of college. :rolleyes:

And his D is worse than Steve's...if that's possible.

Actually his assists to TO ratio is better than SF has ever had :( , but which PG's A/T in the league isn't?

Of course he'll improve, but the 'most' NBA ready? :rolleyes:

It would be great if someone did an article on the idiocy of sportswriters, that way they'd have SOME accountability for the crap they write.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, the only person I can recall that thought Jay Williams was worth the #1 pick was was Duke Vitale...

11. James23

James23 Member

jwill does shoot like baron davis, but davis is a much tougher player driving to the basket and defending other point guards, especially bigger and stronger ones. i see jwill as an average player who is going to be a 15 pts, 5 assists, 38 fg% guy.

dick vitale is moron. he suggested the rockets trade francis and draft jwill. worse, he compared yao to larue martin. y'all can read his article -> http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn020522YaoMing.html

12. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

There were others, believe me. Chet Coppock of Sporting News Radio, for one. I listened to his show (that aired on Saturdays) leading up to, and following, the draft. He lambasted Houston for drafting Yao. He seems like a person who practices 'result-based' analysis in that he had Yao pegged as a bust, so he's going to accentuate any negatives he can find while conveniently explaining away or rationalizing the many positives. I at least have respect for the pundits who come forward and admit they made a huge mistake of comparing Yao to players like Larue Martin and Shawn Bradley.