1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Take Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by n8dagr8, Apr 19, 2012.

1. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Thank you, somebody that doesn't just listen to the hype machine and has done a little bit of research. This guy reminds me very much of Brandon Roy coming out of college. He isn't the greatest athlete, but has an excellent feel for the game. If asked to distribute the ball, he has the capability to get others involved. I do worry about his size, but considering the fact that this board is all for Austin Rivers, you might as well go with the guy who has more experience, can play a bit of D, and can actually handle combo guard duties. He wouldn't be a bad pick late in the 1st round.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

the problem with us taking Rivers is that Lee is not that tall..we'll be crushed at the SG position

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

a) you're a genius. clearly you don't listen to hype. everyone else does. no one else watches games--only you do

b) "this board is all for Austin Rivers"--seems like we've had plenty of detractors in this thread.

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I reached with that second comment, but there are a lot of people on this board that are for drafting River's solely based on the hype produced by the media surrounding Rivers.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

How can you say that people are just looking at hype?

There's no way you can know for sure if someone has done research of not! You think just because they agree with you, they must have done their research...

I've watched/followed Austin rivers since his junior year of high school. But because I disagree with you, I must only listen to the hype!

There's really not even that much hype about him. About half of the mocks I've seen have him going between 13 and 16. But then again the guys that get paid for that sort of thing probably just put him that high because of the hype, right? I doubt they do any research

6. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Look, I have no problem with people wanting to take River's with one of our picks. I DO have a problem making their selections based solely on what ESPN and SI feeds you. Again, I respect your opinion and I am by no means attacking your opinion on Rivers, but all this talk about how we need Rivers to sell tickets and give the Rockets some "media shine" is plain dumb. I never said Rivers didn't have any talent. If you go back and read my posts, I said he can be a solid pro, but I don't see how he is a player that the Rockets need at the moment and I list my reasons as to why I believe so.

Again, I respect your opinion on Rivers and I apologize if that comment came out as offensive.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Nothing offensive, it's all good.

Ive gotten a little agrivated with other posters over the same thing regarding Meyers Leonard and I just don't think it's fair to say someone isn't doing research because they disagree with your opinion. I understand that wasn't your intention, but it comes across that way.

I'm sorry I took some of my agrivasion with other posters out on you!

Regarding Austin rivers, I think we would be dumb to not take a shot at him if he's availible! If he had stayed in college another year, he would be a top 5 pick in next years draft, you can't pass on that potential in the mid first round! Plus he brings excitement and hope to a team that's had very little to look forward to the past 3 years, if that brings ticket sales and media coverage, then that's great but just the possibility of him reaching his full potential I think is worth taking a shot at him.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Enter stage right, Jeffrey Taylor.

9. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I say no to Rivers. In my opinion, he's more of a one way player exactly like someone we already have, Kevin Martin.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This team needs a scoring wing very bad and Austin Rivers can be that guy. If he plays up to his potential he definitely fills a need for this team.

11. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

You do know that Austin Rivers is not a "wing" right? And you do know that he only stands about 6'4" and doesn't really play much D? Austin Rivers is a SG and if the team is looking for a scoring wing, Austin Rivers is definitely not the answer. I stated earlier that the team needed more athleticism to go with size at the 4 and 5 positions.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

2 guards are wings, traditionally. I don't think Rivers is all that, but his height is irrelevant in terms of scoring. Monta Ellis is 6'3", Terry is 6'4" and both can score the lights out and neither play D. Those who advocate for picking Rivers think he can be Terry-type player.

13. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

A wing implies that the player can cover both the 2 and 3 positions. Think of it as a "scoring forward. Lebron, Kobe, carmelo are examples of wings. To have height to score is irrelevant.t but having height and size to play and guard opposing SFs is extremely important. Couple with the fact that he is already a tweener at his given position having him guard opposing 3s would be a disaster. Ellis and terry are NOT wings they are tweener 2 guards or SGs trapped in PG bodies.

14. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Also, last I checked we already had a guard that was capable of scoring points and not playing any defense. Considering the fact thay rockets fans flame him (Kevin Martin) every chance they get, why would they want to gamble on another player that is essentially going be asked to spell him. That completely baffles me.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Seems like we'd be better off taking that long, versatile Vandy kid.

16. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

From Tom Penn (former Blazers and Grizzlies Exec): " 6'9" doesn't equal star Power Forward in the NBA. 6'11" equals star Power Forward (potentially)."

^^ He said the above last month when he was asked about Thomas Robinson's potential as an NBA'er.

I think I speak for lots of Rockets fans when I say I'm tired of undersized big men who play hard. Because....regardless of how hard you play and how big your heart is... nothing can make up for a lack of size. Nothing.

Well, unless you're the second coming of Charles Barkley.

So, I say no to Jared Sullinger...no to Royce White....no to any 6'8"-ish or 6'9"-ish big man we have a shot at in the draft. Undersized guys in the frontcourt only get you so far. I'd like to think most Rockets fans would be sick of undersized guys as well.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

All a "wing" is is somebody that plays on the wing, a 2 or a 3.

And I don't understand the Kmart comparisons...? Rivers can create for himself AND others, Kmart has to rely on others getting shots for him. Kmart is 6'7, rivers is 6'4.

Rivers has potential to be a decent defender with his athleticism and really plays nothing like Kmart...

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is a reason why he is a FORMER NBA exec.

19. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on a couple of points.

First, a "wing" player is a player that can play BOTH the 2 and the 3 positions. Emphasis on the BOTH. If you don't believe me, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingman.

Second, while Austin Rivers does possess the ability to create shots for himself, he has never shown the ability to create shots for others. More often than not, he is looking for his OWN shot. He is a SG in the most traditional sense.

Third, I compare Austin Rivers to Kevin Martin in that they would in essence have a similar impact on the game in that they both possess the ability to score, but have little to no impact on the defensive side of the ball. You are correct in that Austin Rivers and Kevin Martin are different types of scoring threats and if anything Kevin Martin is a far more efficient scorer.

Last, but certainly not the least, is the fact that Austin Rivers is already considered a tweener at his position, which doesn't bode well when you are going against bigger, faster, and more athletic "wings" in the NBA. The fact that as you mentioned Austin Rivers is smaller than Kevin Martin certainly doesn't help your case in that regard. Having the "potential" and being "able" to play defense are two different things. Does Austin Rivers have the potential to play solid defense? Sure. A lot of players have the "potential" to play good defense. Does he play good defense? No, and that's putting it nicely.

Austin Rivers is a SG in the purest sense. He isn't a "wing", nor is he a "combo guard". To be a "combo guard" you have to possess the ability to play the PG role, which he does not do.

20. jogo

jogo Member

I disagree. See here http://www.allstarnba.es/players/players-by-height.htm

Boozer 6'9"
    David Lee 6'9"
    Kenyon Martin 6'9"
    Zach Randolph 6'9"
    Chris Webber 6'9"
    David West 6'9"

All former all-stars and there are more at 6'9". If Sullinger is 6'9" I think he's obtainable around 6-10 picks and I make a hard play for him.