1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by shastarocket, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would said it's smart and was expected, just not sure when. Automation can happen anywhere, and if you got that process in place and the machines to do so, you want to be in every major regions. Shipping cost and logistic is a b*tch.

2. dmoneybangbang

That's from 2008... however the graph was mainly used to explain the general situation between the two countries.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Bush did it exactly and you got 911 in return.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt the PRC will invade Taiwan anytime soon. Further while yes the PRC can overwhelm Taiwan it will be done at great cost in lives and devestating the economies of not only the PRC and Taiwan but the whole Asia region. Even though there is sabre rattling and rhetoric on all sides most people in Taiwan are happy with the current status quo and the PRC is willing to live with that and play the long game. The economies of both countries are pulling closer together and now with direct flights many other ties are strengthened. It is very likely that some sort of union will be formed based upon those ties than rather an outright unification.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

This is why trade is so important, war is less likely when countries are entangled in economic activity as you suggest.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Good point. Hopefully Trump can explain this to the Russians. Also, he should jump into his time-machine in order to explain this to Germany, France, and Great Britain circa 1914 - you know, I hear they didn't have any entangling economic activity back then.

7. dmoneybangbang

Lots of nationalism leading up to world war 1 and 2 too. There is no one idea solution to promote peace and prosperity however historically trade between nations prevents war.

The main reason I have been so anti trump is because his campaign rhetoric is reminiscent of nationalism of the early 20th century.

8. Cohete Rojo

So, no trade with Russia, because?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because their leader hacked in and stole documents from American citizens and organizations, killed and imprisoned political opponents, journalists who dared to criticize him, has attacked and interfered with democratic nations in Europe, and supports a dictator who has committed war crimes and uses chemical weapons agains his own citizens. Those are only some of the human rights violations of which they are guilty.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

The NY piece today confirmed that this is a power play on Trump's part.
    Would there be a war between China and US or invasion into Taiwan. Highly unlikely/
    Would there be a trade war between China and US? All out trade war would be highly unlikely. Skirmishes here and there are very likely. The Trump camp will play the shame and blame game. In most cases, China's responses will be much calculated and pragmatic.
    Would this benefit the US more or China more? Weirdly, this may help China get on the right track and force them to deal with domestic issues, which can make them more competitive in the long run.

To me, the key to the US is not just these temporary and short term gains, but also fundamental issue in Education and competitiveness in the global economy. Hillary's policy investment in the people was on the mark, IMO.

11. Cohete Rojo

Are you talking about China or Salafi Arabia?

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Your question was about why not to trade with Russia. I'll let you figure out which nation I'm talking about.

But if this is a misguided attempt to say that we are trading with Saudi Arabia, and China so why not Russia, it doesn't compute. I'm against their human rights abuses as well. But neither of those nations are propping up a middle eastern dictator that is using chemical weapons on their neighbors like Russia is. Neither of those nations are have invaded their democratic neighbors. Russia has.

If you want to make a case about sanctions against China and Saudi Arabia, I'll check it out. Your question was about Russia. Is it your position that if other nations are as bad as the nation in question it's okay to keep them going and help their economy with our trade?

13. Cohete Rojo

You mean Abu-Bakr Al-Bagdahdi? The Wahhabi-terrorist leader of ISIS? I wouldn't call him a "dictator". Nor would I say that Russia is giving safe haven to the highest ranking clerics of the Wahhabi sect of Islam. Yes, they have invaded and bombed a democratic country, but then again the US gives safe haven to the leader of the failed 2016 Turkey coup.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What? There is no U.S. policy aiding and trading with ISIS. U.S. troops are currently risking their lives on the ground to combat ISIS. Have some respect.

Again you keep bringing up Saudi Arabia. I'm not now, nor have I in the past defended their human rights record.

15. Cohete Rojo

Al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, this past year said that Iranian Shiites are less than dogs and that they are apostates (which is code word for acceptable suicide bombing targets).

Oops, sorry, that was actually said by the top Wahhabi imam, who happens to reside in Salafi "15 out of 19 9/11 hijackers" Arabia.

Besides, China has completely invaded, occupied, and overthrown the government of Tibet, and they have called the Dalai Lama a "wolf in sheep's clothing". Also, China has attempted to undermine territorial integrity of South China Sea nations of Vietnam, Philippines, and especially Taiwan, by essentially invading their territory.

I do get it: after two decades of post-Soviet expansion of NATO and the EU, Russia became upset and used the Ukraine riots as a platform to repel US- and EU- backed interest in Eastern Europe. What I don't get, is why the 1980's did not call up Obama to warn him about this. Or why he mocked Mitt Romney when he addressed the issue.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Saudi Arabia and China in response to me. I'm not a supporter of their human rights abuses, or support for terrorist sympathizers. So bringing that crap up in no way excuses Russia for what they've done.

Perhaps it's telling when you asked about Russia, and received an answer, you refused to concentrate on Russia and kept bringing up China and Saudi Arabia.

17. dmoneybangbang

How was that implied?

Who will blink first and ease of the reigns first? Have you already forgotten Obama hit the reset button with Russia in the early days of his administration? That was 8 years ago and what has happened since?

It would be in our best long term interests to have meaningful and significant economic trade with Russia but how will we end this coldish war we have with Russia and China so we can achieve it?

18. Cohete Rojo

I contrasted and compared the three countries. They have the same faults. Yet, you continue to oppose trade with Russia, because?

19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

More political moves by both sides.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-china-idUSKBN1400TY
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ld-trump-says-us-doesnt-have-bound-one-china/

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member