1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tailgating Advice

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Jimmy Chitwood

Howdy yall, I'm going to be tailgating at NRG for the Texas A&M vs. Arizona State game in early September. I've never done it at NRG before, so I figured the best thing to do would be to ask the pros (that's you people). I've looked at the official tailgate rules, but I was looking more for pointers.

I'm trying to get somewhere between 20-30 people, so one of the main things I don't know is whether or not it would be best to get one or two parking passes.

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

2. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

IMO one parking pass is too small for 20-30 ppl, but then again a lot of the fun of tailgates comes from going around to the others.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

For that many people, I'd say 2 passes for comfort. The spaces are small to begin with.

On a related note, what is proper etiquette as a tailgate attendee. I have the image of everyone sharing food with all comers. But in my experience, it felt weird to just walk up and mingle. It almost felt like crashing a party. If there are different types of tailgates, how do you discern the welcoming from the private preferred?

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Best advice to save money and maximize space for a large group is to get there early and use one of the many grassy areas. You can take up as much space as you’d like there. Blue Lot 22 will probably be the best Tailgate lot for this game. The east end of Lot 22 has a grassy area. Just across the drive lane is another grassy area in Lot 21.

I have one of the coolest part-time gigs around. I'm a Tailgate Ambassador for Texans games. Not sure if I'll work this game, I usually just do the 10 Texans games where I'm in Blue Lot 21 since 2010. We walk in small groups meeting with the different tailgates. Of course we get offered plenty of great food and before halftime we're off duty and can go in and watch the game or hang out with our tailgate friends for drinks.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's better if you know someone there and see if they say "grab some food" instead of just walking up to a random tent and making a brisket sandwich.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think I would ever do that. Do people actually do that?? Any time I've been at a large tailgate party, it's because I was invited.

We crash a fraternity tailgate every year at the SHSU/sfa game (at NRG), but that's only because a good friend of mine invites me. Even then, I don't really feel comfortable enough to immediately start chowing down on all their food and beers unless someone offers it to me. And I always ask if I can donate some $$ for the trouble.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You'll need at least 2 parking passes I think. That's a lot of people.

That many people are buying tickets to the game?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

As others have said, that's a lot of people. I recommend at least 2 passes. Show up early, get a spot along the grass / walkways with trees. You get more space, and can sprawl out a bit more.

I'll be there for the Battle of the Piney Woods game.

9. Jimmy Chitwood

So I called someone at NRG and she said there aren't any large grassy areas in the lots. She actually said I'd be better off buying THREE parking passes. I'd really prefer not to spend $150 just on parking.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

She's a good sales woman selling parking passes. Large grassy area on NE corner of Blue 22 and NW corner of Blue 21 and a 15-20 foot wide strip of grass running along the entire east end of 22 and west end of 21.

The link to the map below makes it look like there's only parking spaces but use Google maps with satellite view. Large trees cover the grassy strips on the sides but you can clearly see the large grassy areas on the corners in satellite view.

https://nrgpark.com/parking-map

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lots Blue 21 and 22 are best for tailgating. My company has eight spots for Texans games and that accommodates a trailer, a few vehicles, and plenty of room for tents and people. We're always in Blue 21 but they're considering some new area that allows you access 2-3 hours earlier.

12. Jimmy Chitwood

What's the best way to get TV service in the lot?

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member