1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tactical Shooter for PS3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nolen, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I turn to the wisdom of Clutchfans for help.

A couple of years ago I loved playing through Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for PS3. It was different from any shooter I had played before, in that it emphasized realism. Running while firing made accurate aim near impossible. Walking or running, guns blazing, into any room or area with an entrenched enemy meant instant death. A single bullet would often kill.

You could control up to two other groups, ordering them where to go and when to open fire (or not open fire.) I loved this part. To win, you had to be patient and employ good tactics. Stealthily pick your positions to gain the best cross-fire. Pin down opponents with suppressive fire before advancing to a better position. Set up ambushes.

I didn't realize at the time that this was a genre of FPS, a "tactical shooter." Up to that point (and since) I had only played cinematic run-and-jump reflex-based coordination-based shooters. Also fun. But I am really jonesing right now to play a tactical shooter again, but when shopping on the playstation store the descriptions don't make it clear whether a game is a realistic tactical shooter or not.

Clutchfans, can you give me recommendations for what realistic tactical shooters to play on the PS3? I would love to play something where I can also command other squads, and pre-plan before going into action. I've read that recent releases of some of the classic tactical shooters like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon have drifted away from their realistic roots- is that true? Should I try to find older games? I don't care so much about groundbreaking graphics as I do quality of gameplay.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Might be wrong, but don't think there are really a lot of games in this genre (and like you pointed out, games that were like this have started to become less like them). SOCOM was the big name tactical shooter (3rd person though), but it has apparently gotten more casual over time (never really played them myself, so can't comment on that). There were 2 SOCOM releases on PS3 IIRC (plus MAG, but not sure how tactical it was), though neither got high marks (but...probably comparable to BIA reviews). Some games are adding more tactical elements to their games, but probably not quite to the degree you're talking about.

I've not really looked into these games, so someone can correct me (or add more info), but that's the general sense I get.

3. jae713

jae713 Member

Aren't the Tom Clancy titles tactical shooters. I think Rainbow Six Las Vegas is like this. Don't hold me to it though.

4. RC Cola

5. Nolen

I am indeed already a supporter of Takedown- because I followed your link to it several months ago! Thanks for that, RC!

I just hope my janky 3 year old laptop (2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM) can actually play it. I guess I should know better than to expect to play a 'serious' FPS on the playstation... PC is probably where I would find this kind of action. But I find the $$ investment for good PC gaming to be so large.

For the time being, I'll see if I can get PS3 demos of Raibow Six, SOCOM, Ghost Recon, and see if what fits the bill.

6. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Ghost recon advanced warfighter is great. Play on a hard setting and you die quickly if that's what you want.

7. Poloshirtbandit

Socom 2 was great. I played socom 3 and whatever came out after that and both were meh

8. RC Cola

Takedown will be released for PS3 (possibly with some concessions, but still). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you (i.e., you don't HAVE to play this on that laptop). Though PC would be a better platform for this.

I thought you might have backed it, but wasn't sure. :)

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Really liked the Tom Clancy games early this gen.

Haven't played them lately, but put a LOT of time into them years back.

GRAW1 and GRAW2: These are very tactical, not "guns blazing" AT ALL, so they may be what you're looking for.

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 to me, are right in between the slow tactical-ness of GRAW and something like Battlefield or Call of Duty. Basically it has some cool tactical elements like organized breaching of rooms, but some run-and-gun is still possible.

The more recent Operation Flashpoint games were pretty decent as well, and are probably skewed even more towards hyper-realism than GRAW is... only problem is the AI can occasionally be really dumb.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

(...apologies to thread for going totally off-topic here, but didn't want to make a whole new thread about it...)

Okay RC, you're head Clutchfans game nerd. Do you have a DS or 3DS? Because I just bought one. Had to play the new Fire Emblem game everyone's raving about.

I've never had a DS or 3DS. What are the must-buys?

11. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think the framerate is much better on future soldier than ghost recon 1 and 2. That was my previous grip with the earlier games. I don't really feel its 60 fps but its a lot better than the predecessors.

12. RC Cola

Don't have one yet, but I'll probably get one soonish too (primarily for SMT: Soul Hackers and eventually SMT4).

Just going off of impressions (can't say anything is a must buy since I haven't played anything):
    Mario/Zelda/Nintendo games (of course)
    Castlevania games
    The World Ends With You
    Professor Layton games
    Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    Scribblenauts
    DQIX

Those are the games I'd likely check out first. I'd probably check out the SMT games too (and maybe a few other niche games), but not sure if their quality is better than what else is out there (I just want to play SMT games).

13. Nolen

Thanks for the help, everyone!

@RC- for some reason I assumed Takedown was for PC only! Alrighty then. I'm already a backer and lined up for a copy of the game, so I know I'll be playing that. :)

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can not do a kickstarter and promise Xbox or PS3, because they control the consoles and what gets approved, however that does not stop you from applying after the fund raise.

DD

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

+1 for all of the Tom Clancy games.

16. RC Cola

Yeah, I think they were careful about how they worded things. Basically "we'll make the PC game, then probably consoles later." But it was more or less assumed it would happen (and it has). Plus it was something like "we're funding the alpha to prove to investors" kind of thing, and not a "fund the whole thing" kind of project. This was right after the big Kickstarter surge IIRC (after Double-Fine), so maybe some of these rules weren't quite in place (I know Kickstarter has added/tweaked things over time).

I'm not sure if you get a console copy of the game if you backed the project. IIRC, another project sent out PSN codes (maybe XBLA codes too, not sure).