1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

T-Mobile G1 vs Iphone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by crimemastergogo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. crimemastergogo

Google came up with a new phone.

Will it be better than the Iphone? How many of yall gettin it? Is it worth 179.99? + 35/month for the internet & text messages?

Heard you have to buy the text messagin plan separate for this phone, it doesnt get included on the regular family text plan..

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

welcome to the beginning of the week :p

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=154139

i want it, bad.... but since im still under contract till March? they are charging me $299 :( so I'm going to wait till Jan/Feb to get it since I'll be 22 months in my contract and I can get it for $179

as for the data plan, its $25/unlimited with 400 txt msgs, or $35 with unlimited txt, at first there was a 1 gig cap, but they did away from that, for now....

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'd consider switching if T-Mobile allows tethering for the data plan/phone. AT&T/Iphone specifically prohibit this. There was an app that made it onto Itunes for a few hours until someone noticed.

An actual QWERTY keyboard would make text/bbs'ing much easier, and there is the advantage of not having Apple babysitting every application for "quality control".

4. Michael Phelps

iPhone is better IMO. I own an iPhone 3G, and yes I am biased. I don't care though, I think it's better.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like the slide out keyboard. But it all comes down to how well the Google/Android OS runs on the phone. Personally, I prefer windows mobile.

6. blink

blink Contributing Member

iphone wins and it's not even close. maybe android's next phone will come close but not this time :eek:

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Considering the G1 isn't out yet, I don't think we can make the comparison. I do like the G1's potential though. Since I have T-Mobile, I'll probably be getting one.

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

is it true there is no headphone jack on the G1? I regularly watch my slingbox on my treo when I go out of town. (sitting at the airport etc). I don't think I could do without it. I'll wait for generation 2's. I def will pick one up instead of an iphone once they work out the kinks.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Kinda. They don't have a regular headphone joke. They have a combo usb jack used for headphone and charging etc. Kinda lame. But the old iPhone did that too.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I'd wait until at least the next Android phone, with Android, there will finally be a competitor to the iPhone that can be better than it. This one is the first release so there will be some kinks, plus, I don't like the design of the phone at all.

11. pchan

pchan Member

iphone is definitely the better hardware.

But Android can turn to be the superior OS.

It depends on what's more important for your purpose. I am stuck with t-mobile so I have no choice unless I wait for the new blackberry.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

As a first gen iPhone user, I can tell you that your statement is incorrect. The 2G iPhone does have a headphone jack, but it's recessed. Rather than buy an adapter, I just shaved off the plastic around the plug on of my headphones to make 'em fit. You can't do that with the G1. Furthermore, good luck listening to music AND charging your phone at the same time.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I think the G1 could be pretty good - certainly I expect good things from the development of the OS. You'll probably see a lot of cool creations as more people develop for it.

Don't like the actual design of the G1, though. And the OS will be pretty new. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Certainly, though, if you are locked in with T-Mobile, it should be a top option.

The original iPhone has a headphone jack, but it was recessed meaning only the apple headphones worked out of the box and you needed a small adapter to use others.

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The G1 is a baby step in Google's attempt to takeover the mobile market with Android which is open OS platform so anybody can make apps for it unlike the controlled content by Apple and the iPhone. I know will an Android phone maybe the much sleeker Samsung and I have the confidence in Google to make this best phone on the market. Everything Google engineers touch these days becomes the golden standard. The idea is that in about a year the real potential of the platform will come to fruition when creative developers start introducing innovative apps and tools for devices using Android. Its like when Firefox went mainstream, once you are on it there is no going back. Google is trying to create a new market for mobile devices to act as secondary PCs, something other like Microsoft and Palm have failed to do so.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The G1 is intriguing, but I'm in the camp of it being too unproven. Like the slide out keyboard, however. My wife and I need new smartphones and have been looking at them. The iPhone is up there, as is Blackberry (wish the Bold would come out!), but I'd have to learn more about the G1. Also, T-Mobile doesn't have the coverage my current provider (Verizon) has, from what I understand. Not sure if AT&T does, either, although I know someone happy with it.

Still looking!

16. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I have TMobile and was pretty disappointed after Ike not to have cell service for 4 days. A friend who stayed with us during the storm never lost her service with AT&T. FWIW

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

18. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

t-mobile already retracted the 1 gb cap
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/...-1gb-data-cap-takes-a-more-friendly-approach/

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Then let's go G1!

Realistically, whomever can provide flash support faster and better should win the bout. With Apple's SDK out, it's a pretty fair contest, but then again, all the nerds of the underground can unite and write the OpenGL necessary to compile flash, that or Java. What I find to be hilarious is that a jailbroken iPhone has the JRE up and running but it's not really there on a legit one.

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I have an iphone...the ease of getting and sheer variety of user created apps is what sets it apart for me. I'm sure the other phones will have something similar...but I like how straightforward it is on my 3g.