1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[T-Mac Video] Do you actually remember this move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jun 3, 2011.

1. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Thats's When Tracy was the best player in the League. I wish it had lasted longer and we had got a championship out of it.
    Just shows you how much he carried the Rockets(not sayin Yao didn't help) in his first years with them. Look at the supporting cast Keith Bogans who else is out there:rolleyes:

2. Chronz

Chronz Member

Bulls/Rose fans always complain about having to start Keith Bogans, well he played 32MPG for the Rox alongside Mac, he was even a part of his rotation in Orlando.

Uhhhh... what? Re-read what he proposed. Lowry,Kev,Mac,Scola,Yao.

Why are you speaking as if this is some indictment on any individual players ability to lead? Have you seen the list of great players to lose series up 3-1? If HOF'ers like Kobe, Doctor J, Wilt, Sir Charles, Goodrich, Ewing, Gervin, etc... have all lost a series up 3-1 then why so much emphasis against Tmac? The only thing thats proven was that Tmac had a 5-6 year prime run that coincided with one of the weakest supporting casts any star has been crippled with, bad contracts and all, hes led several teams (not all) as well as any player could have given their talent base.

Whenever someone mentions a 3-1 defeat I always ask them if they would rather have seen their team lose in 4/5 (Melo style) than push a clearly superior team to 7.

I was hoping for more too but what he gave the basketball world during the peak of his popularity should be well regarded, there is too much evidence (MVP rankings+All-NBA Selections+Statistical Supremacy) to disregard just how good he was at the top of his game. If you think you had it bad, imagine being a fan of those clearly inferior players, would you trade however much god given talent you think Tmac had for the pleasure of knowing you have a hardworking fringe All-Star?

If you focus solely on his career in Houston, your right, the only series he played about as well as you could ask was vs Dallas. Not so much in the other series. He ceased to be an upper echelon player by that point so the expectations should be tempered.

I will never fault a player for choosing to partner up with a superior teammates (Which you forget that Grant Hill was), with the ADDED benefit of being close to home.

Nobody has ever claimed he was a perfect player but I dont see any evidence towards leaving Toronto for Orlando as being among those bad decisions unless your saying he should have known Grant Hills career as a star was over.

Agreed

OK lets take a walk through this alternate reality, he was suppose to forgo the chance to play with the next great bigman for the sake of playing with this teen and hoping he pans out before his own body breaks down.

Dwight becomes an All-Star year 3, a superstar year 5 making the Finals that same season. Despite Dwights best wishes, Tmac simply couldnt wait for the rebuilding process, he was in a win now phase of his career. TBH he could have gone to Indiana, San Antonio, or Phx but he still wanted a challenge and Houston was always his #1 choice.

Had he stayed in Orlando they make the playoffs year 1, Dwight gets some experience and possibly develops faster, Mac sits out the next year due to injuries, comes back with one final semi-elite season and by the time Dwight is ready to take them to the Finals Tmac is at the Microfracture stage of his career.

Pretty sure all of them were going to leave at one point had they not gotten what they wanted, they got what they wanted, so they stayed. Tmac made the right decision going to Houston. The best decision would have been Phx/San Antonio

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if he had any say in the trade, he wanted out and we wanted to trade Francis.

it wasn't his 'decision', they could have not traded him.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i remember that, ive tried to tell people about it before, it just doesnt sound as amazing as it looks. his turn around jay was pretty

5. tinman

Supporting Member

sorry we're not nostradamus, but this is pretty easy.

we already know what happened in the past.

we all know toronto and orlando both advanced much further in the playoffs post mcgrady. that's not an opinion, it's what really happened.

the alternate reality is the ones in the minds of the tmac fans.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah i remember that game. Risky move but he pulled it off which was sick.

7. Garner

Garner Member

This thread is still chugging along.....?

It is going to be a very long offseason.
    :(

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Do you even like basketball?

9. Chronz

Chronz Member

You didnt follow the entire saga the way I did, he had all the leverage being that he was threatening to opt out come seasons end, then after the fued with the newly appointed Weisbrood he had to go, problem being no team would give up anything significant if they didnt get assurance that he would sign the extension (which is why he signed one the minute he landed in Houston). Standard operating procedure for trading superstars is for both sides to give the other a list of viable destinations. There were 4 offers that met the criteria, Phoenix (Marion+Lottery Pick), Indiana (Artest+Jackson), San Antonio

You cant base past decisions on unpredictable outcomes like the break down of 2 elite players (Yao-Hill). Again, he chose to play closer to home ALONGSIDE a SUPERIOR STAR. That was NOT the wrong decision.

Choosing Yao over Dwight was not the wrong decision because by the time Dwight becomes the player Yao was, Tmac is far more broken down than he already was, possibly sooner considering he has to shoulder much more of the burden.

I never disputed that it occurred, Im disputing the conclusions your drawing from these facts.

Can you provide any reasoning to this statement?

10. tinman

Supporting Member

You're right,
    Maybe I'm giving too much credit to McGrady thinking he could have helped Toronto and Orlando if he stayed.

He could have sent them fishing in the first round like all his teams.

11. Chronz

Chronz Member

No he definitely could have helped Toronto considering those were his peak years, what I AM asking for is for that you deduce a logical reason for Tmac to say no to the chance at playing with a superior player AT HOME. As for helping Orlando, well he wouldnt have much time to get anything done and considering where Yao and Dwight were in their developments I can understand why he went with Yao.

How is any of that the wrong choice? Oh because you foresaw the end of Hill and Yao right.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

No just a player who doesn't get along well with team management/coaching and maybe teammates everywhere he goes.

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Lol

This troll said that Lebron didn't quit on Cavs because he left as a free agent but T-Mac did quit on Raptors because he left as a free agent. Welcome to the troll's world, homies

OMG, what a douchebag

2 people like this.
  14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

what was initially created as a thread for us fans of basketball to marvel at this spectacular play has been transformed into a disastrous attempt by tinman to negate the greatness that is tracy mcgrady, similar to the failed attempt by william travis to lead the texian troops to victory against santa anna and his men at the battle of the alamo. i am appalled.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

No I said had he stayed with the Raptors, he could have helped them against the Sixers.

You remember that 7 games series? it wasn't a first round series.

However, he didn't, so that was a lost opportunity.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, it gets really annoying when there is always a hater lurking.

Not sure why we can't let fans have thier own opinions.

Drove away The Black Knight, who I thought was a very good poster.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

black knight got banned. I have no control of that.

all threads have conflicting opinions.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I have some quotes from TRACY MCGRADY.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...acy-mcgrady-wishes-he-never-left-orlando.html

McGrady was asked if he and Vince Carter talk about playing together.

“We talk about it. What could be. What could have been back in Toronto. We always, yesterday or the day before vented a little bit.”

Do you think about what could have been if you and Dwight played together?

“There’s no question. There’s no question. Dwight needs to understand that it’s not me. I think he thinks that I didn’t want him, want the team to draft him. No. I didn’t, that wasn’t the case. Me and the GM at the time was bumping heads. I had to get out. … And everybody saw what happened with him. I hope all the Orlando fans know it wasn’t just me wanting to leave. Why would I want to leave my hometown.”

[​IMG]

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm pretty sure this thread is about whether your remember this move, not whether you remember what he said/did/ate/smoked/drank etc.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

tinman taking this thread off topic! there's the bbs hangout for that!

let's all get back on topic and talk about how sick this play was!