1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac should take a backseat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Nov 1, 2006.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Lamar Odom is the type of guy that fits perfectly into JVG's system, or any system, for that matter.

At this rate, I wouldn't hesitate if a trade is proposed.

2. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Thats rigth...Hakeem never got respect from the refs early in his careen..guys like robinson and ewing got calls night in and night out that hakeem wouldn't....some of it had to do with Hakeem's style of play too..he was a finess player but still got hosed....The other guy mentions that hakeem always hooked and elbowed his way to the basket is a bunch of BS...

3. dreammvp

add in a B!%$ slap for you, and I'd do it...just to get the slap in there....Do you just post things like this to see if anyone will respond to you comments?

72 hrs ago we were talking championship and now people want to trade TMAC. JVG needs to do a little bit of coaching and try to make TMAC make better shot selections and make sure he and the other players on the floor are keeping Yao involved when he is hot. We put so much emphasis on this first game that when we lost, everybody is jumping off the deep end trying to suggest changes. We have the players, we just need to adjust a few things and give them time. After we beat the Mavs tonight, everybody will be ready to crown us champs again...I hope ;)

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yao needs to be more agressive and stop letting little guys dig the ball out.

5. johnrox

johnrox Member

if you were the gm, what would you offer?

6. Astockmarketgod

Tmac dosent need to take 24 shots or take the most shots on the team... to be the leader of the team... he already is...and will be until he leaves or retires

what he needs to do is keep the role players from turning into scrubs...

keep Yao from turning back to timid, weak soft, Yao

and get rid of peoples perceptions that he can't lead a team to a Championship...

I seriously doubt when Tmac left Orlando... where he could have jacked up 20 to 30 shots a game...

that he would head over to Houston hook up with Yao...just to do the same thing...

eventualy he had to know Yao was going to come into his own and dominate like he has been lately...

7. Rockets Dynasty

Apparently I'm the ONLY Hakeem fan with true memory recall.

Hakkem fouled BEFORE he even got the position or the ball.

For real are you people living in a dream world?

One of the reasons Hakeem was so amazingly phenonmenal and one of a kind was because he was by far the toughest, meanest and most physical guy down in the post.

He hit people on their arms, he elbowed he hooked all BEFORE he even made his damn move.

Now you have the balls to act like i didn't watch hakeem play?

8. m004378

m004378 Member

Tracy "the borkeback" McGrady :D I already said this in another post, he will never be the same T-Mac again.......at best, he will just be another G Hill.

9. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Kim, I have just this one question for you.

You said that you would like the coaching staff to throw out the Reggie Miller-esque elbow/wing curl for Tmac. Why? Because his shot from midrange isn't as good as Reggie's, and there are no offensive rebounders on that play. Fine, that's a sound argument.

But there's one problem. You took Tmac's midrange stats as a whole, including shots where he created for himself. Low percentage shots, fadeaways, contested jumpers, open shots, the whole gamut of them.

However, since we're on the subject of that play, all the other shots become irrelevent. We're talking about Tmac, curling off a downpick, and getting an open jumper from 17-19 feet here.

Since you've always did very well in your past analyses, may I ask then, can you provide concrete stats of Tmac's shooting numbers on that play?

This might sound a little hyprocritical, but I've watched almost every Rockets game for the past 2 seasons, and rarely, and I mean RARELY do I recall that play failing. I don't have the stats, but from an observer's standpoint, I can tell you that, that particular play has a bout a 65% chance of netting the team 2 points.

So why throw it out?

10. slickrick

slickrick Member

The man is just rusty at the moment he will come around

11. kjames44

kjames44 Member

This entire thread looks very dumb after one game was played...guys on this board need to relax and enjoy the season more. The Rocks are going to be fine and there are nights when Yao will shoot "lights out" as evident by his performance last night against the Mavs and there are nights when T-mac will do the same. He played 24 minutes and really wasn't needed but he's going to find his rhythm and everyone here that is currently complaining will be saying "man T-mac is the greatest...blah, blah, blah..."

T-mac already said that he feels Yao is the best in 5 in the league and Yao definitely opens things up for him as a slasher and outside shooter. Thank God will have other quality players because there's no way this team wins in the past with T-mac scoring 8 points!

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's the problem with stats. I would love to be able to have the success rate of every play, but unless I have access to all the video from the last 2 years, that would be impossible.

I find it cool enough that more than 3 years ago, there were not any stats available to the public to show shooting percantages from floor areas, so this is as good as it gets until I get a job with synergy sports or the NBA for inside access.

Let's say Yao is out of the game, then I wouldn't hate running that play very sparingly. The main thing is it's a play to run when T-Mac is already on fire. In addition to the offensive rebounding problem (because misses on medium jumpers are almost a sure defensive rebound), and the ineffeciency relative to a Yao post up, the other big beef I have with the play is limiting T-Mac to a Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton type player, and I think that's not smart considering T-Mac is so much better. T-Mac can post up and of course I've already stated T-Mac is a great decision maker off of the Pick N Roll, which also gives him an open mid range jumper option.

So I would think that a midrange jumper off of a pick n roll would have a similar success rate to a midrange jumper off of a curl and catch...not stats...impossible to back with stats for now...but it seems like sound reasoning to me...and especially if T-Mac is on fire...he's hitting his midrange jumper without regard to how the shot is created.

But yeah, just my opinion...and at least with Yao, I don't think he has to be on fire because it's not just shooting touch that helps his efficiency, it' his general post dominance.

13. wingz0

wingz0 Member

That's precisely the logic I was going by. We're on the same track, the key thing is success rate of baskets. You claim that Yao's success rate with a shot in his comfort zone around the blocks or near to the basket is higher than McGrady's success rate with his midrange shots. That's fine, I can't dispute that, because stats don't lie.

But stats can be misleading too. Think for a moment, if you take away all his other midrange shots and just limit the stat samples to the shots he takes as a result of that play, what if the success rate for that particular curl play is actually in the high 50s or even 60s percentage-wise? Would it be wise then to actually milk that play as much as possible till the defense finds a way to adjust then?

You've shown that Tmac's midrange shooting isn't as strong as many make it out to be. And I agree. I'm a big fan of his, but one thing I absolutely detest about Mac sometimes, is his reliance on his athleticism to get "good" shots. I'm sure you know this too, but how many times has Tmac launched a jumper coming off a curl, kicking his legs wildly, drifting left, drifting right, only for it to clank off the rim?

So if that particular play actually gives him a clean look at a shot he can knock down more than half the time (which from my observation, he can), why not milk it and milk it somemore, especially now that he's struggling to create his own shot from the field?

14. dreammvp

I never said you didn't watch Hakeem. I just said your opinion is BS about Hakeem being a physical player. He was more of finess player. Thats my point. He got alot of touch fouls that Yao gets. That was my only point.

15. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

hell yeah I can say it.. it's either that u never watched Hakeem play and you are just inferring stuff from the way people talk about him, or you are just playing around..

Hakeem's can be described as being everything EXCEPT for physical.. physical means that you are like SHaq, you post the guy up and you dunk on his face and he cant stop u because u are as big as heck, but Hakeem was only 7'00 !!! the guy was unstoppable because he was THE QUICKEST center to ever play the game and his moves were so fast and smooth that nobody could stand in his face..

please, go to youtube.com and search for "hakeem", watch a couple of videos, try to analyze them well, then come back and say "well, I didn't mean physical as in physical, I actually knew what I am talking about"...

16. Astockmarketgod

RocketsMac

but im refering to when Shaq first came into the league...

Shaq was my favorite player but even I knew he was creating alot of offensive and defensive fouls...

I did watch the playoffs...

I have no doubt Shaq is getting the same calls as Yao is now...

how convienient, when Shaq can choose to retire any time soon...

but Yao is just starting to become dominant...

17. chonox

chonox Member

just at the nba site, wonder if TMACS new TMAC 6 shoes will take a dive in sales due to his performance LOL, they obviously aren't helping him out much