1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

T-Mac should take a backseat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Nov 1, 2006.

1. compucomp

compucomp Member

pfffttt.... if what Yao did is an offensive foul, Shaq commits offensive fouls EVERY PLAY. Those fouls were totally phantom.

2. compucomp

compucomp Member

Sure, he might, by taking 40 shots, while the rest of the team scores in single digits, and the Rockets LOSE.

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Always? WTF are you talking about? How large are the sample sizes of your stats on Yao's spin moves and those in which he hooks his defender? Let's see what you can come up with.

I am sure other posters can find more videos on Yao's spin moves, but this video alone is good enough to bust your "always" BS.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk0MPyiJBbc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk0MPyiJBbc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Maybe I shall simply claim RocketsMac always tries to bring down Yao when his boy TMac has a subpar game?

#103 wnes, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

well, I think u misunderstood my post.. see, when I said he "always" (which I didn't mean as literally 100 % of time, I meant it as in "the majority of time") I was addressing his spin move TOWARDS THE BASELINE where he catches the ball, doesn't dribble, and make this quick spin dribbling with his left hand and using the other arm (the right arm) to protect his dribble.. since it's a quick aggressive spin move, most of the time the right arm goes violently into the defender to cause what is known as a "defender hook" which is a famous automatic offensive foul call..

I didn't mean that every time Yao makes a spin move (spin moves have infinite types and ways to do it), he hooks the defender.. I actually love his spin moves.. actually, most of his play comes from nice spin moves then fade away or hook shot.. I was just talking about this specific spin move when he is to the left of the basket and he spins toward the baseline .. I bet u everyone who watches rockets game notices the hook which, if u think about it, is not significant, but that's the way they call it in the NBA and u have to adapt to that..

btw, the video shows only one case of the spin move I was talking about, and it was against Collins from NJ nets.. it's really hard to have a good look at it because of the poor quality of the picture but Yao actually uses his right arm to protect his dribble but it was not considered an offensive foul because Collins was a step behind because he didn't expect the move .. (now that Yao does it more frequently, it is probably included in every scouting report)

like I said, I wasn't trying to bring down Yao by any means.. I Know my fav player Tmac didn't play well and that doesn't mean I try try to bring down our great center which is one of the biggest keys for wins.. but I just want to let everybody know that it wasn't the referees fault that we lost.. it was the poor team effort and poor preperation for the game..

5. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeated anything..

It's one game guys, remember the time when T-MAC was in a slump for a couple of games and then and all he did was drive and finished with like 26 points against the Clippers with a nice FG%. He knows what he's doing. I liked what I saw from him last night though he could have played much better. He was quick and explosive and was obviously attacking with his 13 free throw attempts. I agree he must have shot much better and there is no excuse but you have to admit some of those shots were desperation shots or shots trying to make a run going coming back from a 19 point deficit. There is no excuse for his poor shooting but T-MAC knows what he is doing and I have no doubt he will rebound. Remember he was 5-11 at the half and no one can discredit the fact that went to line a bunch and set up teamates beautifully with 9 assists.

Yao no doubt should have gotten more shot attempts last night since he was ridiculously efficient from the floor but I dont think it really had to do with T-MAC. Like mentioned before Yao was in foul trouble so McGrady thought he had to get himself going when Yao was not on the floor to try to catch up.. Not to mention Yao's touches should in most cases be lesser than McGrady. It just goes that way, Yao wont get 25 shot attempts a game unnfortunatly just becuase they'll double him in the post forcing him to pass out of the double while McGrady has the luxury of screens, picks and others etc. Now if Yao gets the same amount of shot attempt as the last game in the next game then that really needs to change since just 12 shots is not going to cut it and they must force feed the ball into Yao for at least 16-20 shots a game so he should be in a rythm.

Let's all just forget about the last game, nobody outside Yao or T-MAC even played halfway to a decent game. Our defense gave Utah whatever they wanted and our offense forced uo too many shots with horrible execution and not too mention the amount of fouls called which made Yao into foul trouble. We have to have liked the way we rallied against them in the 4th quarter and I'm expecting a much better effort defensivley, offenively and most importantly fro our role players against Dallas. Go Rockets!!

Three Words-81 MORE GAMES :)

6. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

I hear alot about the our lackluster offense but we DID give up 107 pts, right? I mean where was our consistent defensive pressure? Obviously back here in Houston. Pretty embarrassing to let the Jazz go gonzo with their flurry of firepower. :rolleyes:

7. Chronz

Chronz Member

I dont know man he did hook Okur on one of them and the other 2 came when he put it on the floor when we were tryin to establish a gameplan in the 2nd half.

Either look its not as simple as giving Yao more shots. I agree he should shoot more and Tmac should shoot less but last nigh was an example of a game where Tmac was the only guy who could create for others and find a shot for himself. Its not that he didnt try and set Yao up. You have to give the Jazz credit they played Yao perfectly and Tmac really hurt his % by chucking shots in the final minutes.

I was more disturbed by the play of Alston than I was with either Yao or Tmac. I really want him to be our PG but he cant play the way he did yesterday

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

ONE GAME!

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Uhh...that's my video so I feel I have a bit of credibility when I say that it's almost entirely irrelevant. In fact, the only move in there (the spin on Mourning) that is relevant, actually hurts your argument. It's quite apparent that Yao's right arm swings back to push off of Alonzo, which = offensive foul.

10. Chronz

Chronz Member

Seriously

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Geez, there was a bodily contact, but hardly an offensive foul, let alone a "hook," as RocketsMac claimed.

12. ClutchCityReturns

Well you posted the video to prove that Yao doesn't "always" hook on his spin move, but the video shows otherwise, if anything. He does it 9 times out of 10 and definitely did it last night.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The video doesn't show he hooked his defender when he made his spin move. I am talking about the one at the 2'36" mark.

14. ClutchCityReturns

Actually if you slow it down you can tell but it's hard, but like I said, I made that video. I have footage on my computer from the baseline angle and it clearly shows his arm across Mourning's back.

15. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about dude?

This man has 9 years of stellar play and you are overanalyzing this one game?

Take you BS somewhere else

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

THANK YOU.. ClutchCityReturns...
    btw, that's a cool video.. even though Hakeem and Yao have totally different physical characteristics and playing styles, u managed to find a lot of similar moves and situations.. :cool:

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Guys guys! Slow down! :mad: T-mac made bad decisions, but he is still trying to regain his trust for the drive, the fire he had on drives is not there right now.

Why?

Because last season he felt flat on his back on a drive during practice and played only a handful of games healthy. You all know how to drive, but if you have an accident its gonna take you a while to go full speed again, right?? Give him time hes just being cautious.

18. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

ya ... a lot of you get way too carried away with one game. don't worry guys. it'll take time to for our team to gell. just dont go and blame our best player for every game we lose. tmac had an off game. every1 was missin shots in the first half and that reminded way too much of last year but we'll get it together. calm down ppl.

btw ... any1 hav a clue about bonzi's status?

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

From that PopcornMachine's GameFlow web page, it appears TMac had his best stint, in the 2nd quarter, when he was not playing at the same time with Yao. The entire 4th quarter was the worst for TMac, where he shot 1-7, including 0-3 from downtown. During the same stretch, Yao attempted 1 shot, and made 1.

Pretty depressing facts for both Yao and TMac fans.

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Dude, that paragraph is pretty close to traitorous in my eyes. You'll never hear a Spurs fan say, "Manu always takes 3 steps when attacking the basket, and it's an automatic travel." Or a Mavs fan say, "Dirk always flops. He doesn't deserve those freethrows."

Yao is one of the most victimized players in the league by the refs (definately the most skilled whipping boy around) and to point out everything he does get away with is just really lame.

While you're at it, why don't you also point out that Dream travelled on the Dreamshake?