1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac: More Interesting (Bad) Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

These stats apply to just last year..........

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So the rockets are at their best when Ron is leading the charge? That's cool with me.

3. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, what my numbers say is that when T-Mac has a big game Yao and Artest score less than their season averages. That's not a problem with Yao or Artest having a big game.

What's more when T-Mac has a big game the Rockets are 7-5. When Artest has a big game the Rockets are 12-2. When Yao has a big game the Rockets are 20-5.

T-Mac's hurting the team. How is up for debate. The fact that he is shouldn't be.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, my suspicion is that Ron--although he can lose it and play too much isolation basketball--is actually pretty effective in catch and shoot scenarios. Look at the first Dallas game, and this last game against GS. Yao and Artest can co-exist. When T-Mac has a big game the other two from the big three suffer.

5. fmp087

fmp087 Member

It's not that black and white. I think badgerfan's main point was win percentage when scoring 19 or more by given player.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

I have a question for you.

When Scottie Pippen was here... did you have faith in him all the way?

7. fmp087

fmp087 Member

By McGrady's contribution do you mean his personal stats or team ball and winning. I'm not sure, but wasn't it the year he became scoring champion and the team went on to win 19 games. Then he came out and said he quit on his team.

I don't know about you, but if I ever had a teammate at any point in time that said he quit on the team (being the best player on the team), I could never respect him as a teammate or basketball player. Quitters will never be winners.

8. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Always been a fan lived in Houston my whole life but didn't start following the Rockets closely till JVG 2nd year. So at that point in time I would have never considered it. Yes I would beacause I wouldn't have had a reason not too.

9. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

T-mac slows the offense down, slows the energy and ball movement down.
    I think this is what they call hustle factor and lack there of.

The superstars get it going quickly and facilitate, he waits for that to come to him.

10. joesr

joesr Member

they could say the other way around....apologist....

11. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

They certainly could and do..........

12. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Yes, both. His personal stats were the only reason the team succeeded in 2002/2003. cause it sure wasn't his teammates leading the charge.

He was actually scoring champ twice, with the first year being 02/03. Magic went 42-40, with the next best player besides Grant Hill who only played 29 games, being Gorden Giricek or Drew Gooden, and I beliee that he had Detroit, the eventual champion on the ropes, basically with McGrady leading the team single handedly. His stat line was 32/6.5/5.5 with a .457 FG%

As for the second scoring title, yes that was a 21 win team, with those stellar future hall of famers Juwan Howard, Drew Gooden, Deshawn Stephenson, Tyrone Lue, as the remainder of the starting 5, then you have those just miss the hall of famers on the bench, like Zaza Pachula, Kieth Bogans, Steven Hunter and Adrew Declercq rounding out one of the best rotations in Basketball. His stat line was 28/6/5.5 with a .417 FG%. He was carrying the entire load, and although I did not watch many Magic games, my guess is that he was doing all that with constant double/tripple teams.

You actually have to have a decent team to blame the best player for its failings, but there was no team. Most of that team would not even be the 12th man on the current Rockets team in either year.

But alas, it is McGrady's fault that the his GM could not put a decent team together after investing so much money in Grant Hill only to have injuries kill any chace the team had to succeed. While we are at it, I guess the current economic situation is his fault, along with global warming, and any other things you can think of.

As for McGrady saying he quit, I won't defend that, although I understand it (see hall of fame teammates noted above).

But please tell us, weren't you excited when we traded for him a few years ago? I am sure you will say no (but secretly you actully were very excited), which makes your last statement a complete farce.

13. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

That is a pretty stupid remark "McGrady gets no help". Yao is averaging more points than him! How about "Yao gets no help??"

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Please, trade Tmac already.

15. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

lmao...tmac just avg 15 pts so artest and yao can get 20+

16. TForThree

TForThree Member

I heard Michael Jordan and Hakeem's playoff numbers are pretty impressive as well, do you want them to play for the Rockets NOW? ;)

17. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

I am a Rockets fan and since T-Mac plays for Rockets, I am a T-mac fan. If Boozer or Okur plays for Rockets I will be a fan too. We have big3 not big1. With his fg%, we can not afford T-mac jacking up shot after shot and scoring 30+ a night with a poor fg%. We have Yao and Ron. We do not have 1 man show like Miami(Wade), Cleveland(LBJ) or Lakers(Kobe, Pau is a sidekick). If T-mac scores a bunch with a good shooting%(not like LBJ or Wade), let him shoot.

I am not a T-mac hater. I am waiting for our 3rd championship not a
    " T-mac only " show where he scores 13 points in 30 secends once every 3 years.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Excellent thread, badgerfan. The numbers are DAMNING.

19. earth

earth Rookie

You claimed "No argument was made I simply post a postive T-Mac stat line regarding Mcgrady in the playoffs. "

Badgerfan just listed some data concerning the win-loss ratio, and it looks reasonable. You refute his view by listing data of some superstars.

Have a look at your replies to the Rox fans who doubted your post. Clearly you have an arguement, however it is not for houston rockets.

20. landryfans

landryfans Member

When Yao has 19 points, it is not a big game, slightly below his average,

When Yao > 25 points, 10-0 (A*)

When Yao> 20 points, 17-1 (A*)

When Yao FG%>60%, 13-0 (B*)

When Yao FG%<46%, 5-9 (B*)

Original poster use 19 points to include more games from Big3, for Yao, 20 points almost like a magic number this season.

---------------------------------------------------------

much more details from, if you read chinese:)

A* Yao's record up to date

http://bbs.hoopchina.com/483127.html

B* Yao's stats 40 games analysis

http://bbs.hoopchina.com/483127.html