1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac: More Interesting (Bad) Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is Dallas 'rebuilding' with Jason Kidd? They got him to win now. This will be his second year in Dallas (Again) so lets not rush to judgment on that trade just yet.

Though I like what NJ is doing.

2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

To those who hype up McGrady's playoff numbers... don't you think he "elevates" his game in the playoffs at the expense of his teammates and team chemistry? I mean, I don't see how its good for the team if he coasts thru the season,and lets everyone gets accustomed to their roles, and then suddenly tries to take more shots in the playoffs.

Kobe scores 30PPG during the season and is always counted on to be a big time player... he does the same thing in the playoffs.

Lebron is a walking triple double, scores 30PPG and is always counted on to be a big time player during the season... and he does the same thing in the playoffs.

McGrady routinely coasts thru the season... shows less than 100% effort... and then tries to "impose" his will in the playoffs...

Maybe that's why he's never been past the first round.

3. mbiker

mbiker Member

No, it means that his low shooting percentage is one the reason why his teams loses. Tracy thinks he is helping out his team by being a one man show and scoring a lot of points. Unfortunately, he keeps jacking up low percentage shots, and forgets about the team concept.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Mostly losses. Go back and read my original post--the Rockets do worse when T-Mac scores 19 points or more in a game.

5. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I don't know if we are talking about the same player. The player I have seen doesn't shoot enough and passes too much. Van Gundy and Adelman both say that Tmac is a great playmaker and passer. He's been accused of being too unselfish not the other way around.

6. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

No, he was supposed to take his 21 million dollars and realize the responsibility a max contract brings to him. He should play hard 100% of the time. He should rehab hard and properly after an offseason surgery, instead of trying to use regular season games to rehab at the expense of his team.

People aren't on his case because of his down numbers. They are on his case because of his lack of effort... and because he slacked off in the offseason instead of rehabbing his ass off like our other max player.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

He hasn't been accused of that by people on this board.

8. macfan

I agree with you. He should not score between 19 and 30. He should score 30+.
    When he scores more than 30, the rockets win 90% of their games.

9. macfan

I am not talking about people on this board. I am talking about knowledgeable people, those who have coached him

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

He's scored 30 points once this season, on a loss to Portland. That means that this season when he's scored 30 points or more the Rockets have lost 100% of their games.

11. macfan

There you go. I just proved how silly your stats are. You just drew another famous conclusion based on one game of an atypical Tmac season.

I repeat that the Rockets have won 90% of their games when Tmac scores 30+

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

What does atypical mean in this sense? Michael Jordan at 40 is not going to the same force that he was at 20. In terms of McGrady's play now it makes sense to talk about his gimpy body now and not his younger, stronger self.

We want to talk about this season, with this year's cast and this year's coach, because we want to get past the first round of this year's playoffs. We know how all the old playoff series went.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy's last 3 coaches
    -Doc Rivers - current coach of the champs
    -JVG - coach of the knicks that went to the nba finals, assistant under riley
    -Rick Adelman - one of the best coaches in NBA history, 3 nba finals, many conference finals

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This might have been relevant in 2005 but not now. Or are you one of the nuts claiming that Tmac will "turn it on" in the playoffs and become 25 years old again?

15. mbiker

mbiker Member

Tracy is a great playmaker and passer however, when he runs his style of offense compared to what the rest of the team is running it is selfish. Adelman’s offense isn’t stand in one spot when you don’t have the ball. Adelman’s offense isn’t hold the ball for 10 seconds either. He has been playing under Adelman for 2 years now, why is he still learning the offense?

16. macfan

You can talk about whatever you want but if you're going to use numbers use them in a way that make sense. When I show you my numbers and then you show me yours, what it tells me is that Tmac has been injured this year and when he is healthy and aggressive he helps the Rockets win.

Beyond that, there's no other conclusion can be drawn off the numbers you presented.

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, what I take away it that T-Mac's body is breaking down and he's a lot older than 29 physically. It makes zero sense to take stats from when he was 24 or 25 and use them for the current, broken down version of T-Mac.

Unless you have access to a) a time machine or b) the fountain of youth you can toss those old stats out the window.

18. macfan

I am not taking stats from when he was 24. My stats are cumulative. What makes zero sense is to accept the conclusion you draw, because the sample is too small and the sample is tainted by the fact that this year's Tmac does not represent the player he is.

The statement that he is broken down is your opinion. When did he break down? Was it during the 22 game winning streak? Was it after he scored 40 on the Jazz in the playoffs?
    The facts say that he is coming off an injury and that he's not anywhere close to 100%. They don't say anything about him being broken down. That is just speculation on your part.

19. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, T-Mac's stats this year are exactly representative of the player he is--this year. Regardless of the reason, whether it's his knee "injury" or just general deterioration of his body, he's a gimp.

20. macfan

No sh$$. I am saying I don't need to look at the numbers to know he hasn't played well, however to say that Tmac hurts the team is crazy. What your numbers say is that a hurt Tmac doesn't help the team as much as a healthy Tmac, but I don't numbers to figure that out.