1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac: More Interesting (Bad) Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding us how old you are. Why do you associate Rockets lack of success since 97 with Tmac?

2. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

I am not a t-mac apologist, merely a fan of the Rockets. Why does everyone have to get so personal?

I would not diagree that Shaq is the better player, so not sure why that makes a difference???

I also said in my opinion, I have a right to that last time I checked...

Now to your Orlando point, the second best player on these McGrady lead teams was Juwan friggin Howard. If you honestly believe that McGrady could have won it all with that level of talent, as I think you are implying in your reponse, well then....

By using your Orlando fans analogy, I think pretty much every one on this board would say that Hakeem is the greatest player in Rocket history, right?? However, does that mean that Moses Malone, Clyde Drexler, and Charles Barkly are chopped liver? I guess those guys were never in ____ (best player in their respective time period in the league).

Just because Shaq is the best player in Orlando history, does not diminish McGrady's contribution.

As for his Houston day, I would say he has played pretty damn good. Maybe not the same as his Orlando days, but he has maintained a pretty high level, despite his weak body.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like McGrady, when he is trying hard.

I just don't like posts that have been proven erroneous time and time again as an example of something positive.

DD

4. redao

redao Member

maybe this season is more important than last season or TMAC in 2002-2003?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know right?

It is like "Hey maybe we can sign Jay Williams now" he was great at Duke.

All that matters is performance THIS year......I don't care one iota for the past....when talking about performance RIGHT NOW.

DD

6. wheelmi

I agree he is not as good as past years in 2009, but I believe that injury is the primary driver. Maybe I am the eternal optimist, but I think he will regain his form when he is physically healed and regains his confidence.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Why don't I run some numbers for Michael Jordan while I'm at it? I understand Jordan's not signed right now, the Rockets should be able to scoop him up.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good. then you shouldn't be offended.

if you were one of those looney fans, then you think Tmac was better than Shaq, kobe, lebron, jordan, chamberlain...

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

That's the problem. My guess is that the reason his numbers go up and everybody else's go down when he has big games is because he's camping the ball. That's an issue that's got nothing to do with his (physical) health.

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Where did you come up with 19 points for the base? Just an arbitrary number? Why not 20? Why not 19, and 5+ boards and 5+ assists? Why not take into account if it is raining outside, or the price of gas. I hate dumb stats like this, so misleading.

11. dbdb49

dbdb49 Member

RINGS DON'T REALLY MATTER TO THESE GUYS THEY WANT TO MONEY

THE OLDER GUYS DO LIKE T-MAC KOBE GARNETT

12. duteman

duteman Member

Yes helping mcgrady = make 80% of your shots that you get out of a only 5 shots you get a game and playing 4 on 5 when on defense

13. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

All thresholds in statistics are "arbitrary" to some extent. I picked 19 because it seems like a reasonable cutoff point. Do you have some argument to offer up that 19 is a bad choice or are you just blowing smoke?

14. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Ok i guess you don't understand what I was trying to say. Guys on here are harsh on McGrady. He is human. Michael Jordan had bad times. Kobe Bryant had bad times. Shaq had bad times. I wasn't on here at the time but I'm sure Dream had bad times.

What im trying to say is guys are ready to give up on a guy who is hurt but when he proves people wrong then what are they going to say. Not one NBA player is going to put up great numbers every game and every season unless your name is Wilt Chamberlain.

Look at the Spurs stats and tell me how Duncan, Parker and Ginobli's numbers are. Im sure all 3 of them didn't average 20 ppg while all 3 where playing together. Guys are saying when McGrady plays Yao and Artest's numbers drop. That is going to happen. You are going to have to sacrifice a lot to get to where you really want to be.

15. wheelmi

I don't think he is better than any of those players as thier resume is better over their respective careers in my opinion, but I do think there was a period of 3-5 years that he was in their league, and with a whole lot less talent around him. However, he was unable to sustain that due to his body, and at least in part because he is not as tough mentally.

Wheels

16. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

No, but I think he's better than Steve Francis who he was acquired for.

BTW, these so called fans that think he's better than those people reside in your head. Your hate is so intense that you create imaginary enemies.

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It's not just Yao and Artest. When T-Mac makes a significant scoring contribution the Rockets have a lousy win-loss record. The whole team's scoring average drops compared to what happens when Yao and Artest have big nights (especially Artest).

18. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

God forbid anybody be optimistic around here. I just can't be so angry and hateful like you. If I were I wouldn't be able to be a fan.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Naw, I was just giving you a hard time. I would have thought 20 would be a better number... but I'm OCD. lol.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here you go Scully:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=161179

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4173844&postcount=47