1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac has already missed over a seasons worth of games...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Feb 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

...since he was traded to the Rockets in 2004. 84 by my count and sure to climb, it just startled me to look at it that way. We're missing an entire season+ of highlights, scoring, dunks, passing, whatever, of T-Mac in a Rocket's uniform. That's pretty amazing, especially considering what we're paying him per year to have had those court-side seats for an entire season+. What would that come out to, some $20M?!? Wow... I'm a big T-Mac fan, and I wish him the best in his attempt to rehab his knee, but I can't help but feel cheated by looking at his career with us from this perspective...

#1 forchette49, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i wonder how the wizards fan feel about gilbert arenas.

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

It happens. Not just McGrady.
    Happened with Yao too.
    Injuries happen man.
    No one to blame.

4. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

I think all this McGrady bashing is getting quite old. Just give the guy a break. He's on our friggin TEAM. Dont you want him to get healthy so we have him for the playoffs?

5. forchette49

Great point, we just need to keep reminding ourselves no matter how frustrated we get with T-Mac, there is always Arenas.

Arenas joined the Wizards the season before T-Mac came to Houston. Arenas has missed a total of 161 games by my count in a Wizards uniform, 161 and rising. That's nearly 2 full seasons, with 1 extra year with his current team, WOW!

To add insult to injury, Arenas was extended this past July for 6 years, $127M. He turned that offer down and instead took 6 years, $111M to help the Wizards re-sign Jamison. Again, wow...

6. forchette49

"I'm a big T-Mac fan, and I wish him the best in his attempt to rehab his knee..."

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Not that its his fault, but Yao Ming actually missed over a season's worth of games (86) the last three years. There is no question that this team has had terrible luck with injuries.

That said, think about guys like Elton Brand, Nene, Kenyon Martin, Arenas, Jermaine O'Neal, Andrew Bynum, etc. and you know we are not the only ones dealing with this stuff.

Heck, Amare Stoudemire literally missed an entire season a few years ago. That's the risk with guaranteed contracts. You're almost inevitably going to pay guys a lot of money to sit at some point.

8. onreego

onreego Member

Ron sat nearly a whole season when he played for the Pacers, and it was his fault. The Rockets just like collecting players that cant finish a whole season. I found it interesting that some people around here wanted Corey Magette so bad.

9. rocketsmetalspd

That is just the point he will not be healthy in time for the playoffs. TMac will be ready next season but why wait till next year.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And nearly every game he's missed has been due to aches and pains or personal issues, rather than actual injuries.

Yikes.

11. deemac98

deemac98 New Member

The sad thing is we are gonna need the guy. Even though his numbers are down it's hard to turn away 15 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4 assts. Really the guy isn't choosing to sit out. People outside seem to think these are aches, coming back from knee surgery these aches feel like injuries everytime you bang it. We need to stand behind our guys man.

12. ibm

ibm Member

a wow from a member like you, durvasa.

but i guess what you said is true. :eek:

13. durvasa

Perhaps my memory is failing me ... how often has he missed games with legitimate injuries? Sometimes its an ankle tweak. The back pain I'm sure was extremely uncomfortable for him, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as an injury. As for the knee, I don't even think the Rockets consider that to be an injury.

McGrady has rarely been injured in his career. He basically said that in his interview on Wednesday. That's what makes all the missed games so remarkable.

14. ibm

ibm Member

lower level of pain tolerance. that's the explanation offered by jvg multiple times when he was coaching. with the absence of other valid ones, i'd take that for now.

but your observation is unique and reasonable, compared to many others'. did you sorta have a change in heart with mcgrady, like i did a couple of years back? :cool:

15. durvasa

I continue to defend him if I feel he's being unfairly criticized. Maybe I'm bipolar. :)

I want him to succeed so bad, so when people suggest he's a loser and a lost cause that doesn't sit well with me. At the same time, when you constantly have to make excuses for a player it gets a bit tiresome.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah that quote stuck out to me the most.

17. ibm

ibm Member

i like that. same thing i do with yao. yao's 7 years have not panned out as i expected or hoped. i am still a big fan and try to defend him whenever i see unfair criticism of him.

as a fan of a sport, it's hard to be fair and objective. but we should all try.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

That is because a lot of the idiots on this board think because you're 7'6 that you should dunk everytime and block everything in sight. They don't see how difficult it is to be 7'6. I guess they don't realize Yao is the only guys at that height to have any type of major success, even though it is a small sample, it is a reason that sample is small.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Everytime I think of McGrady, I think of how lucky we are to not be stuck with Arenas.

Not defending the guy, but damn that bigass contract is going to hold Wizards back for at least another 3-4 years. Lucky for Arenas and the Wizards, his off-court actions still keep him as one of NBA's favourite little puppies.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

I honestly wonder how this board would deal with Arenas, with some of the stuff he says though. Like earlier this season when he said something about getting the number 1 pick would be good because they can find a Tim Duncan.