1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-mac getting his killer instinct back???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ABTRocketfan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

Since T-mac has been back he has been a great closer and is really not allowing us to lose the close games. We were losing lots of close games earlier on and T-mac wasn't really taking over now he is and I have a lot more confidence in us winning the close ones. Another observation that I have made is that T-mac needs to play big minutes to have a good rhythm throughout the game and especially in crunch time.

2. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He's a closer when his shots are falling and a chucker when then don't.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Over/under prediction when a YOF will come in and post about how he is crippling Yao's game...

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he was only 8-19 before he took those last 2 clinching shots so he wasn't "on fire" by any means.

i thikn b/c in the first 3 quarters, we ran the offense and he didn't do a lot of 1-on-1, he didn't expend a ton of energy. going into the 4th, he has the legs to drain those jumpers like he did.

in the 9 games since he has been back, he has hit 2-3 HUGE shots in the 4th EVERY game, including the utah jazz loss.

i think the role players stepping up (more people in double figures), him not having to do a lot of 1-on-1 have helped him tremendously.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yeah.....I pretty much have to agree with that. Actually I have to say that it was during the early part of season when Tmac was at his best closing form in year because he was actually attacking the basket-and he actually looked like the old Tmac then. But now he's playing more efficient basketball and being more selective with his shots. As long as he doesn't take 25+ shot attempts with less 44% FG then I'm content along with the usual 5+ assists

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

He found his will that he imposes on the game

7. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

He just doesnt want to be traded...He could have done this before. Tmac is the leader of this team, but Yao is the centerpiece.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

What killer instinct? :D

Man this is not worth asking right now, only thing that matters is if he has a killer instinct in playoffs because he always seems to lose it there.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Quick!!

Somebody photoshop a Tmac version of a poster from the movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back"

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Umm....going to have politely disagree with you there buddy.
    The playoffs is usually the time when "sleepy, doe-eyed" Tmac becomes "Dunk on (Insert name or Shawn Bradley)'s ass" Tmac. People who just assume because he never gets out of the first round that he doesn't do well in the playoffs. The last time I checked, he has the 3rd highest scoring average in the playoffs, along with averaging 6 rebounds and 6 assists (granted in only 27-29 playoff games). Kobe's killer instinct also had something to do with losing to the Suns with a 3-1 series lead too ehh?

11. t_mac1

last yr was the first time in the playoffs where tmac played "subpar" and yet he still put up 25, 5, 7. but that's subpar for his playoffs standard.

no one guy can win a series by himself. jordan couldn't do that. kobe can't do it. tmac can't do it (if we were in the east like lebron's cavs, then hell yes). in the west, it's just too tough. hopefully, the improvement of the team can make the game easier for the tmac in the playoffs. u shouldn't worry about tmac when we get to the playoffs. it's the role players.

12. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

yes, he did. rockets do need defense and shooters are excessive.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish he would get his defense and hustle back......

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

TMac coasted through much of the game. He played well, but seemed to be on auto-pilot, as if he could turn it on at will. He had his shot falling this game, but too often, you let a team stick around, they'll bite you on the ass.

Unless you like that sort of thing.

And it's not so much that TMac coasts as it is that the ball movement and the fast break just DIE.

So, glad we won these past three games. But Indy, Milw, and Minnie should have never been in the game. I don't care if they were road games.

15. t_mac1

mac was 8-19 before making the last 2 shots. i wouldn't say he had his shot falling ALL GAME.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yes, we are better with him in the game.....period.

17. jasona88

jasona88 Member

Its his new shoes...

18. MeatAndPotatoes

Beat me to it. That has to be hard on him having to put up with all the media and so forth sticking that in his face. So he never made it out of the first round. Last time i checked, you needed a pretty damn good team to get out of the first round. What our record was without tmac last year, says what kind of team tmac had last year...

19. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

T-Mac got his luck back! He hits late jumpers in the last few games against weak teams. If he did not hit those late jumpers, his team loses.

The good thing for jumpers is that you score fast if you are hot, like the one against Spurs. The bad thing for the jumpers is you cannot count on it, especially in the playoff 7-game series, unless you shoot more than 50%. If you shoot less than 50per cent, or say if you only shoot 45 per cent, you will miss more than you can hit. So if a team only relys on late jumpers, that team will never win a playoff series.

20. t_mac1

kobe is a career 45% shooter; in the playoffs he's a career 44% shooter. :rolleyes:

i guess those 3 rings must come from somewhere. oh, he has a team where they don't rely on him all game and he has his energy to dominate the 4th.

that's what the team is doing now with tracy. he's not looking to go 1-on-1 all game and only score within the offense in the first 3 quarters. that's why he has been able to do well in the 4th in EVERY game he has been back, not just the past 2 games.