1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac for Baron Davis? (Update from Sporting News)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

All I know is Ron Artest better not be involved.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

New article...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519165

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As long as we're not trading Artest, i'm for it. Baron when motivated and healthy...is quite simply a beast.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i think they can, mobley didnt pass his physical for the Knicks so thry just agreed to taking him

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I know Baron Davis has a long contract, but that guy can play. He'd be a great addition if it happens.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No better way to piss off Mavs fans!

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'll take it if they through in an uprotected first!!!!! Otherwise, I'll pass.

8. Sooner423

Yeah, they can take him just for a salary dump. The previously offered Davis/Kaman for Kidd package could be traded for T-Mac's contract. Big risk, but could be worth a shot.

9. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

5 year 65 Million. We are trading #1 for #1 before the deadline tomorrow. I'll welcome the new #1 with open arms.

10. HombreDeHierro

we'd be dealing with another ailing oldman by the end of his contract...

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good find. I think it's worth noting that article was dated today and the writer even speculates the Clippers might consider taking on T-Mac in such a scenario.

I, myself, wouldn't do this if I were calling the shots. Just saying it's an interesting (and somewhat tempting) idea that has definite boom or bust potential.

12. Raven

Raven Member

His contract is too long. Pass!

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Artest is probably pumped at this point. Now Artest at times is our go to option and is going to looked upon for big scoring nights. He will probably get resigned by the Rockets because he has proven to play hard each night and fits in our offense very well when Tracy isnt on the court. We should trade Mcgrady so we have cap room to resign Artest and Wafer next year. I think Morey would be doing us Rocket fans a service by getting Baron Davis. The guy has proven to be a beast come playoff time and might have been the best player in the league when Golden state was in the playoffs. He is obviously not in the greatest situation with the Clippers so it would be nice to see him in a Rockets uniform. The only concern I have is, what about the physical that must be passed. Maybe rules will allow him to not have to participate in one.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Davis + Camby for Tmac + Brooks is a virtual salary match (this year).

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How do you know he'd be like Tmac?

Tmac is the exception not the rule. Players play well into their 30s and are still productive, hell there is a LONG list of players who still produce good play well into their 30s and Baron isn't evne 30 yet.

Players like Nash/Kidd/Shaq/Camby/Kobe will be one/ Celtics Big 3

If Baron loves it here, we can get 3 to 4 good years out of him.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

only if they send back novak!

17. worzel gummidge

A David deal would mean either Camby or Kaman as well to make it work.

McGrady + Dorsey for Davis + Camby/Kaman

Davis has 5 years on his deal. It doesn't seem to be the kind of contract the Rockets are in for given his age and injury history.

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

What most of you guys aren't taking into account is that Tracy's career may be over. Trading for anyone decent at this point is a win-win situation.

Baron Davis, while injury prone, is much more durable than Tracy. Also, it's interesting that he only suffers those injuries during the years on bad teams. Baron tries hard when he believes there's a chance to win. On the Rockets, I believe he will play hard.

When people use statistics to justify the worth of a player it really irks me. Sure, Baron is shooting a poor percentage this season, but it doesn't mean that he's done for good. Whoever said he was a "worse Steve Francis" has obviously not watched Baron in his early days in Charlotte or in GS. He plays big on big stages and is a clutch performer. Baron tries hard when he needs to, not necessarily a good thing, but he'll be put into a good situation in Houston. And when Baron tries hard, he is a top 5 PG, which is more than the Rockets have ever had, and enough for us to compete with the big boys in the West.

19. Sooner423

Kaman has a beastly contract too. If it's Camby and Baron, I do it. If it's Kaman, that's a tougher decision.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd be down with this. Baron would be a huge upgrade at PG.