1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac for Baron Davis? (Update from Sporting News)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Feb 18, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

[NY Daily News] T-Mac for Baron Davis? (Update from Sporting News)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...nets_fall_to_rockets_11488_next_loss_may.html

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Love Baron......but that's a very hefty contract.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat, hefty contract and all.

4. platy

platy Member

wow , we have to be real desperate, not to mention dumb, to even consider this

5. astros148

astros148 Member

i swore i thought it said lebron lol not baron. tooo much day dreamin

6. BrooksBall

Baron's making $11.25 million this season and his contract goes up 900K each of the next 4 seasons. Depending on how the economy goes, that may not be so bad in a few years.

Resign Artest for 3 or 4 years at about $10 million per and Yao for whatever he asks for and build around those 3 guys.

You gotta pay for talent one way or the other and only a few teams will actually land a stud in 2010 free agency.

Baron comes with risks but he's a winner and he's clutch.

The Clippers would have to throw somebody else in the mix to make the numbers work. I heard they weren't trading Camby but if they were willing to add him to the deal, it's a no-brainer.

I'd be psyched with this rotation:

BD
    Wafer
    Artest
    Scola
    Yao

Brooks
    Barry
    Battier
    Landry
    Camby

The only way I can see us getting around the McGrady knee issue is if doctors said he didn't need surgery, which they've apparently said repeatedly. It would be a quirky situation and the Clippers would have to be that desperate to unload BD's contract for whatever reason.

#6 BrooksBall, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. BrooksBall

I have a feeling this is what Solomon was talking about.

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

this is already post on another thread but isn't Tmac untradeable now that he's listed as "Out for the Season" by ESPN news?

9. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

I'm curious.. what's the NBA regulation for trading injured (can't pass physical) or injury reserve list players? Is there any chance we can still unload tmac?

I would do this deal.. remember the clips have to throw someone else in too to make up for the ~10million or so in salary difference, so we might be getting even more talent.

10. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Technically, he's still tradable before the surgery and a lot of doctors have said that his knee is fine so he shouldn't have a problem passing the physical.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Baron, but I would pass up on it not only because of the length of his contract but also because of past health issues.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

Baron and Camby for Tmac works.

13. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I would only do it if we could get Kaman.

14. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Baron AND Camby? I'll do that. We get our PG and a defensive presence in the key.

15. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

well i mean.. he could always purposefully tank the physical to deny the trade.. is there any way a trade could occur with the physical waived or "currently injured" being okay?

for instance.. could a team trade right now for someone totally KO'd.. say...Michael Redd (out for season.. no way in hell he can pass, or even try to take, the physical), but well knowing and accepting he is injured? Or is there some NBA regulation preventing this?

16. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

or Camby but he is listed as untradeable...

17. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

if we could get Camby with him in a trade for Tmac then we should absolutely do it. I rather have Camby over Kaman.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Hahahaha, this whole situation is really funny if you look at it.

We all know what happened before yesterday so I'm not even going to bother writing about that but let's just look at the last 48 hours.

First, there are the rumours of Tracy for VC that pop up on ESPN. Next thing you know, coincidentally ;), the Houston Chronicle website comes with an article about Leslie Alexander standing by Tracy and he will definetly not be traded and there will be news about the situation within the next few days. What follows is a season ending surgery for Tracy reported on ESPN, ensuing with a report about how there have been trade talks about Tracy for Baron Davis. So much for staying loyal to your little superstar Leslie !!!!

I wonder if any team would've been stupid enough, had Tracy not decided to have surgery and just agree with the doctors, to trade for him. Have these teams not seen Tracy play ?? Would've been an okay trade regardless, even though I do not like Baron.

19. BrooksBall

This deal has us adding 3 wins:

[​IMG]

20. BrooksBall

It wouldn't be a basketball move for any team taking McGrady's contract. It would be similar to the Chandler deal where management is just trying to save money.