1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac, Carter big names on the block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ths balla, May 8, 2004.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

T-Mac, Carter big names on the block

By Chad Ford
    NBA Insider
    Send an Email to Chad Ford Monday, April 19
    Updated: April 19
    9:37 AM ET

Maybe it's time for David Stern to recruit Donald Trump. In the first season of the popular reality show The Apprentice, Trump took his interns to meet the venerable George Steinbrenner, who gave the kids tips on everything from buying a World Series to firing a manager. Trump was grinning like a Cheshire cat the entire time. Steinbrenner may know a thing or two about kicking people to the curb, but he has nothing on the Donald.

The NBA could use some of the Donald's expertise. These days, it seems GMs are launching the soon-to-be-trademarked phrase, "You're fired!" on a weekly basis.

Everyone knows coaches are the first to go in the NBA, and a record 18 have been run out of town over the past year. With as many as eight more poised to get the ax this summer, GMs are running out of heads to roll.

Are the player's next? The signs are pointing to an emphatic yes. Already we've heard more trade rumors in April than we usually hear at the trade deadline. The kicker is that the names being bandied about aren't scrubs with little market value -- they are marquee players who stumbled badly on lottery teams this year.

McGrady. Carter. Iverson. Brand. Abdur-Rahim. Allen. ... You're fired?

The list is a who's-who of talented underachievers, and it doesn't stop with them. With the exception of the Utah Jazz, who have no real stars to trade, every lottery team is flirting with the idea of trading one of its biggest stars this summer.

Who's on the block? Who's most likely to be traded? Where could they be heading? Insider has the answers ...

Can anybody get the rest of the insider info, cause i would love to hear something about tmac coming here?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thanks for the laugh chad!

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Everyone is following the Denver model. Scrap your underachieving "stars" and start over with a low salary cap. Then get guys that you really need.

Too bad we were still under the "pay any free agent as much asnecessary" model when we signed guys like Cato and Mo Taylor.

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

so you're saying you have better answers right?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

But no one here is getting paid full time to write up crap like this. If people have to pay a monthly subscription fee to read what I write, I'd certainly want to come up with more tangible stuff than the rumors that insider provides.

6. SamFisher

No.

I, like a lot of other people here, know that Chad Ford's "Insider" info a lot of the time consists of idle speculation and Real GM trade checking; not a lot different than what you'll find on this board.

Despite the fact that it's a premium service, the content is not premium.

Do I do have better answers? No. Could I make up a bunch of stuff and muse at length? Sure.

But it's not my job to.

7. yipengzhao

how much is the insider fee?

8. SamFisher

Too much to pay no matter what it is. There used to be a cheat where you could get in by typing the name of any big east conference school and then bigeast as the password but they closed it off.

9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Eh. It's $5 a month, but it's worth it to me for two reasons:

"My Insider" which will take your teams and get all the articles about them every day from a lot of major newspapers (and even some not so major ones).

Free ESPN The Mag subscription.

10. yipengzhao

did they give you one of those 100% polyester "fleece" pullovers too? i have to say... not the greatest deal in the world.

$5 bucks is reasonable... considering I pay like half of that a year on ESPN the mag anyway. just depends on what you expect.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah i have a subscription i got a year of ESPN and Maxim together for 24 bucks which is not a bad deal.

Insider might have some good things but with the new MyESPN thing on the right where you put your teams etc it brings up everything i need about local teams or just teams i am worried about. I would rather save 5 bucks a month and just watch ESPN News and Sportcenter to get gossip.

12. yipengzhao

yeah just every once in a while they have a link for insider that intrigues me and i wonder. but probably it's not worth getting a subscription over.

damn... you have a good deal. i should consolidate my subscription like you did because i actually get both too. although i think i got my maxim for like 5 bucks or something.

13. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

What? Francis is not on the list?

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Not being on a lottery team, no, Francis is not on the list.

15. sup123

sup123 Member

No Francis, whats going on here.

16. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I still think this would be a great trade:

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Still agree.

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can get ESPN the magazine free at freebizmagazines.com. Just pretend you're an executive. You're president of "bedroom enterprises" and you keep a lot of "important" people employed ;). You'll get cabling monthly and finance today and other crap like that, then you also get the free consumer mags for a year. You have to cancel when or before the free period runs out and remove charges from your credit card. I've done this with too many magazines - I spent last Sat. killing subscriptions to Sporting News, Maxim, FHM, Stuff, ESPN, etc. Three years now, so far not a penny charged.

Edit - insider isn't worth the money. The "articles" show up at Realgm too. Realgm actually has much lot better links to local sources and national trade speculation. Chad Ford isn't particularly insightful. Devaney does a better job at Sporting News.

#18 pasox2, May 9, 2004
    Last edited: May 9, 2004
  19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

dont bring VC's injured butt here.:mad:

T-Mac on the other hand is acceptable.