1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac and Francis never expected to be Teammates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by poprocks, Dec 19, 2007.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1907dec19,0,6420086.story

Key players in Orlando Magic's blockbuster trade never expected they'd be teammates

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

HOUSTON - On Tuesday, the Houston Rockets wrapped up practice by shooting free throws, preparing for tonight's game.

Tracy McGrady was toeing the line on one end of the court and Steve Francis was at the line on the other.

Could the world really be this small?

Well, yes.

Down the hall, Dwight Howard could be seen inside the Rockets' exercise room after the Orlando Magic's practice at Toyota Center. He was bench-pressing a whopping 310 pounds -- symbolically lifting the weight of a Magic franchise that was once placed on the shoulders of McGrady, then Francis.

When the lifting got too heavy for T-Mac, the Magic -- five days after drafting Howard on June 24, 2004 -- traded McGrady to the Rockets in a seven-player deal involving Stevie Franchise.

Francis couldn't even raise the bar in Orlando, so to speak, and he was gone in a flash. As the country song goes, he took the long way around to get back to square one, in Houston.

"I never thought after being traded for Steve there'd be a chance that we'd be playing with each other," McGrady said. "It came around. He's a great teammate, a great guy."

McGrady never wanted to leave his Auburndale roots and the Central Florida area, which he considers home.

Francis never wanted to leave Houston, which he considers home after playing his first five seasons as a Rocket.

Their short stays in Orlando -- T-Mac four seasons, Francis a season and a half -- ended tumultuously. McGrady feuded with management while Francis feuded with then-coach Brian Hill, but the confluence of controversies gave birth to Howard and nurtured his stardom.

Despite McGrady's presence, the Magic finished with the league's worst record in 2003-04, but it earned them a future as they selected Howard with the No. 1 lottery pick. Orlando then turned the team over to Howard after miraculously unloading Francis' baggage and burdensome contract on the New York Knicks.

Now McGrady watches Howard in amazement. He gushingly refers to him as "a freak," adding, "I'll be shocked if there's another Dwight Howard coming around." But when told he had the chance to stay and play with him, McGrady deadpans, "No. Never. Not at all."

He jumped at joining Yao Ming rather than to try co-existing with then-General Manager John Weisbrod and waiting for an 18-year-old high schooler to blossom. McGrady said he can't help but think what could have been in Orlando if he had received more help and had not had a falling-out with Weisbrod.

"Yeah, I think about it," McGrady said. "Me and my trainer talk about it all the time. I love that gym [Amway Arena] down there."

He's now 28, married and with three kids, seemingly all grown up.

McGrady admired rebel Charles Barkley and he, too, once said anything on his mind. He's more measured and thoughtful, but the twinkle returns to his eye when asked if he'd ever consider returning to the Magic when his Rockets' contract expires after the 2009-10 season.

"They don't have the same management anymore, right?" McGrady said, through more twinkles.

Of course, a T-Mac reunion with the Magic is far-fetched, fodder for Internet gossip. That is, unless the Magic were to trade Houston-native Rashard Lewis to Orlando for McGrady.

Lewis still has a home in Houston, with no plans of ever selling. His dream was to be a Rocket and he has a Rockets jersey in his closet with his name stitched on it -- a recruiting gift the club dropped on his doorstep when this summer's free-agency period began.

McGrady is certainly frustrated, again finding that he doesn't have enough assistance on a 12-12 Rockets team.

He can't lean on Francis, who turns 31 next month. He has faded as fast as Penny Hardaway, another meteor.

"Of course I've definitely aged," Francis said. "I do different things now. But it's not for the worse. I definitely can go out there and get buckets at any time."

The reality: Francis is averaging 5.5 points and 3.0 assists -- a far cry from the 21.3 ppg and 5.7 apg he recorded in Orlando in 2004-05.

The Knicks traded Francis to the Portland Trail Blazers in a draft-day deal this summer. The young, rebuilding Blazers wanted nothing to do with his waning skills or mood swings. They bought out the remaining two years of his contract he originally signed with the Rockets, paying him $30 million of $34 million he was owed.

He pushed to return to the Rockets, who signed him to the veteran's minimum as a free agent.

"Hell, no, I didn't want to leave [Houston]," Francis said. "No smack in the face to Orlando, because I enjoyed the time there. But it felt great to have the opportunity to pick which city I would go to. I'm just coming back in a different role here.

"To be here with T-Mac, a prolific scorer, it's all good. I'm happy to be home."

2. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

so now we can stop talking about a feud between them, right?

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

its obviously just a cover up. we all know tmac hates steve for sitting in his special chair :D

that said if t-mac wouldve stayed in orlando...wow what a tandem he and dwight howard would have been. no disrespect...but T-Mac + Dwight Howard sounds a lot more intimidating than T-Mac + Yao. dwight also complements t-mac much better than Yao. he's just relentless. those passes t-mac zips to chuck hayes? dwight would slam them down all day.

4. rocketsmetalspd

T-Mac still has the twinkles for Orlando. WTF is that all about, don't tell me he wants to play for the Magic.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

That's because Howard sounds a lot more intimidating than Yao.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm not too wild about T-Mac's tone in the interview. He's my favorite player on the team, so I'm not trying to hate. But the hint that he kinda wouldn't mind going back to Orlando after his gig with the Rockets is pretty disturbing. 1) There is some implication that he wishes he had a supporting cast like he would have at Orlando (i.e. his present teammates are not good enought for him again) 2) Shouldn't he be planning to be on a championship team by 09-10 and never want to leave the Rockets, like the Spurs or something? He acts like this is just a gig that'll be over in a couple seasons and then you can move on to the next one. Well, presumably if you're on a team like the Spurs or Pistons that doesn't happen. But T-Mac only sees the little ol' Rockets, who he doesn't think will be doing anything special around 09-10.

I know people are going to say "He was just kidding around!" But great players don't even flirt with other teams. If they do (Kobe), generally it does NOT help the team they are presently on.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is the article writer talking about? Trade T-Mac for Rashard Lewis?

He's writing fantasy not a factual sports article.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How about, like ... now, then?

9. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Yet he tells the Chronicle he has no special feelings left for the Magic. That could be a bogus interpretation, except for his reminiscing and wondering what could've been or could be, and the blatant comment, "They don't have the same management anymore, right?"

Every day is becoming harder to take this guy's act.

10. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Tmac probably feels betrayed by the Houston fans after all the chanting for Steve. I'd consider leaving as well when my contract was up. This isn't that hard to believe.

I was disgusted when they brought Steve back, simply because I felt it was a slap to the face for Tmac. I'm surprised others don't see it the same way.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Maybe he should grow up...

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Haha...I thought the exact same thing.

Man this T-mac hate is really getting out of hand....it's exactly like 03-04 all over again when people were hating on Steve. I remember Steve was being blamed for anything that went wrong in Houston from our smog problem to being one of the fattest cities. It is really sad to see :(

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

These guys are professional athletes. not some high school teenagers. I'm sure T-Mac does not care that the fans are chanting for one of his teammates. He knows Steve is loved here. This isn't some jealous drama reality show show going here. These are grown ass men. You obviously aren't if you feel this way.

How is it a slap in the face? We had a chance to had talent while making the trade we made earlier look like we got T-Mac for free. The only negative from signing Francis is that he is not playing well right now.

14. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Is this a general overall comment from the BBS as a whole that is just embedded in this thread, or is there a specific event on this that caused you to state this yet again? You seem to be throwing this out there where it doesn't exactly apply, and providing no examples or replies that back up your opinion and refute the "T-Mac hate" that you speak of.

15. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I am the choir, and you are preaching to me. Good points.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Come on, people. It's from an Orlando paper. Things are obviously written in a skewed manner. It reads like a puff piece anyways.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

They're twisting it to seem like McGrady wants to jump ship again. Magic are going to get teabagged by the Rockets.

18. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

You think the Orlando Magic would do a McGrady for Lewis & Nelson Trade?

19. rocketshopeful

T-mac does has a habit of wearing out his welcome. What you are seeing happening is pretty much what happened in Toronto, and Orlando. He is getting called out by fans for his effort (or lack their of), and dedication to the team.

Small things say alot. He had plenty of opportunity to step up as a leader in houston, and then fans would not be calling for his head.
    It boggles my mind how much god-given talent that he could use to be one of the best players in the league, yet he doesn't put in the effort to perfect his skills.

Perfect example of this is his free throw shooting. He has one of the sweetest looking strokes when he shoots his jumper. His performance at the line seems to me like a simple lack of practice.

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

you guys need to get a grip and stop spreading ridiculous rumors. "t-mac hates francis blah blah blah".... this board just loves spreading rumors and conspiracies, pretty soon we'll be sina pt 2.