1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Systems Admin [Help]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckkky, May 29, 2013.

1. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Calling out all Systems Admin to help a fellow clutchfans member. Me! :p

You have an open spot on your team for a systems admin position. Your manager asked you to be part of the interview process as a technical interviewer. What type of questions would you ask me? What type of troubleshooting scenario should I know for you to tell your boss I am a good fit. What are common terms I should know by heart if I had so much experience in systems admin?

Thanks guys!!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What was the last emergency in which you were involved, and how did you help solve it?

What is the first operating system you installed?

Some of the users deleted a bunch of files that were really important. What do you do and what do you say to the users?

:eek:

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Can you go into a little more detail on the qualifications for said Systems Admin? It's a pretty broad title.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

Based on your past threads......... NO.

:p

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Didn't you quit your job?

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sys Admin could mean pretty much anything in the IT world. Need specifics of the job duties.

When I'm involved in technical interviews, I always ask at least a few scenario questions that don't really have a right/wrong answer. I'm really just looking to see how someone thinks and what their troubleshooting process is like. A simple example would be, "you get a report that multiple users are getting a 'Service Unavailable' error when they try to hit your corporate intranet. What steps do you take to troubleshoot?"

#6 Harrisment, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Yes I did. Now put 2 and 2 together. ;)

8. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Are you gay?

2 people like this.
  9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

LMAO!!! Repped

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Based on your answers to Harrisment and my question, I believe it would be prudent for you to dress like a zombie and tell the interviewer that you like turtles.

11. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I think I bombed the technical part. Got 50 right and 50 wrong.

Would you still hire me????

12. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

stayed up day and night to study for weeks then when they asked the questions, its there but I couldn't get it out or remember the small details. FML...

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Without googling, can you tell me all the layers in the OSI model?

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I love sausage pizza!

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait its a network admin or a systems admin job?

If I was asked to be a technical interviewer I would look at their resume first and see what areas of the job they are weak in and ask them questions in that one area to see how weak they are. They stuff they are more proficient at you can be pretty sure they will know well, but if they are not strong in an area that is applicable to the job I'd like to know how much training they would need from either myself or another one of the sys admins there.

Like the others - your question is pretty broad - would you be administering a specific area (dc servers, db systems, pbx etc) or just like more of desktop items?