1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SXSW

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Feb 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

very Very bang up job...

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Any of y'all go to see Jeff's show?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Dunno if there are any fellow electro fans out there, but as mentioned previously I went to SXSW primarily to check out a set from Boys Noize. Well not only was it a great night, but I ended up getting to meet him! This was a totally starstruck moment for me and my girl and made the night really special.

Pics or GTFO? ;)

[​IMG]

I also checked out The Rise of Science while I was there, and they put on a heck of a show. Well worth checking out if you are looking for something new.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this 99er did.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I saw La Riots, Steve Aoki and MSTRKRFT.

Electro enough for ya?
    <object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWtahZipKSg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWtahZipKSg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

a 99er standard review is required

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I only got to see 2 songs cause it took me 30 minutes to find parking down congress! :mad:

Jeff was jamming the bass guitar. It was texas-bluesy rock n roll from what I heard.

laid back crowd, lots of people at gueros outside, perfect weather.

Jeff showed more energy than Thom Yorke. ;)

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They are one of my favorite new-ish bands. I am glad to hear they deliver the goods live. Let's hope they come down to New Zealand.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Have you checked out the new Junior Boys or Royksopp albums as yet? These are milder electro, but some of my favorites.

10. Mr. Brightside

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Yep, that's about right. GREAT (and I'm not using that term loosely) live band.

Man, kudos on that picture. It's badass!

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've been calling for Wilco to get a headlining slot. I know they've played it 4 or 5 times, but if anyone deserves it, they do. A great American band.

I hope it's not Jane's. I like JA, but I don't see them as a closing act for ACL.

When you say "country acts", what do you mean? I was hoping for a Hayes Carl set this year.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Kings of Leon is already a done deal.

Jane's Addiction would be an awesome closer. I'm really hoping C3 can pull it out and get them in.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh yeah, I love the new Röyksopp album. Check out the Boys Noize remix of Happy Up Here, it's a good piece. It's on Röyksopp's myspace page.

15. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

C3's country music guy broke away to start his own gig. There really aren't that many folks left at C3 that are versed in the Country or Altcountry scene....it's just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure it will affect the lineup...it is definetly affecting what bands they are looking to sign and promote.

Personally, I hope they keep the Americana music in ACL. To me, this is one of the differentiators that makes ACL better than some of the other fests I go to.

More blues would be cool as well

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

sums it up perfectly.... great job, man.

17. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Just a quick PSA. If anyone is interested in hearing more of Corb Lund and his very good and widely varying music, or The Rural Alberta Advantage, The Handsome Furs, King Khan or any of the other Canadian bands, they generally all have a lot of tracks on line at CBC Radio 3.
    http://radio3.cbc.ca/play/band/Corb-Lund-Band/Hair-in-My-Eyes-Like-A-Highland-Steer/
    http://radio3.cbc.ca/play/band/THE-RURAL-ALBERTA-ADVANTAGE/The-Dethbridge-in-Lethbridge/

Just as a bit of trivia, MSTRKRFT is Jesse Keeler who was the bassist half of Death from Above 1979. The drummer, who switched off with Max Weinberg in this Conan appearance, is Sebastian Granger now of Sebastian Granger and the Mountains.
    <div style='font-family:arial;font-size:12px;text-align:center;'><embed allowFullScreen="true" src="http://crackle.com/p/Music/Death_From_Above_1979_Romantic_Rights.swf" width="400" height="328" quality="high" scale="noScale" FlashVars="id=1473878&amp;ml=o%3D9%26fc%3D8%26fp%3D1%26fx%3D" wmode="window" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><p>From Crackle: <a href='http://crackle.com/c/Music/Death_From_Above_1979_Romantic_Rights/1473878#ml=o%3d9%26fc%3d8%26fp%3d1%26fx%3d' title='Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights' style='text-decoration:none;font-weight:bold;overflow:hidden;text-overflow:ellipsis;word-wrap:break-word;'>Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights</a></p></div>

http://radio3.cbc.ca/play/band/Sebastien-Grainger-and-The-Mountains/Who-Do-We-Care-For/

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'd like to make this my facebook photo

19. Mr. Brightside

I didn't take this photo. It's from Brooklyn Vegan. There are a whole bunch more, but some of them are NSFW like this one below.

[​IMG]

#79 Mr. Brightside, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  20. Mr. Brightside

Did anyone catch Explosions in the Sky set? Did they have alot of new material?