1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SXSW 2008

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Feb 8, 2008.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

I didn't but a buddy of mine caught them. He said they put on a really good show and recommended them to me. I found some tunes of theirs today and dig em.

2. Mr. Brightside

I didn't know the full Cut Copy album leaked as yet. I checked What.cd and Stmusic.org and see they only have 4 tracks available. Which site did you get the full length album from?

Are you talking about the So Cosmic mixtape or the the actual So Cosmic album with just Cut Copy songs?

3. Mr. Brightside

Last night, around 12AM I saw the lead singer of Dead Confederate just walking around by himself on 6th street. I asked him if he was part of the band, and he said yea he was and said no one really recognizes him on the street. Only sometimes back home. He was a nice guy though. His name is Hardy.

I think this band is going to break out soon, as many people said their shows were the highlight of this festival.

4. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

SWT...did you get into the M. Ward/J. James show? I missed out...even with a platinum badge. Still caught the MMJ show at the IFC party at the Parish Tuesday night and the showcase on Thursday...but would have loved to catch 'em at St. David's. The sound in there is amazing.

My favorites for the week (some I'd heard, others not so much):
    Felice Brothers
    Earl Greyhound
    Anathallo
    Frontier Ruckus
    Bodies of Water
    Bowerbirds
    Yeasayer
    Ravonettes
    MGMT
    Okkervil River
    Matt & Kim
    Soundtrack of Our Lives
    MMJ
    Drams

Not Feeling so much (all made this list, b/c I like their respective music, just wasn't feeling it live):
    Joseph Arthur
    Maps & Atlases
    Dead Confederate (was hoping for big things)
    Black Mountain (See above...Dead Meadow does it better)
    Rouge Wave
    Old 97's...not a good set at New West Party

Didn't get into even with Platinum Badge:
    M. Ward
    J. James
    Vampire Weekend
    Black Keys
    Dead Confederate (the first time...that showcase was right before REM)
    Ravonettes (official showcase, caught earlier day show)

5. Mr. Brightside

My highlight this year was seeing Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters) at Central Presybetarian Church. Other standout acts for me included:

The Tough Alliance
    Cut Copy
    Bon Iver
    Jens Lekman
    The Whip
    Atlas Sound
    Pigeon Detectives
    Matt and Kim
    Yeasayer

My lowpoint was missing the Handsome Furs concert. I actually got inside the Bourbon Rocks venue, but didn't realize the concert was going on outside on the patio. I was inside watching another band the whole time thinking Handsome Furs were just delayed. When I realized my mistake, the show was almost over. They only played 6 songs I think, and I only caught the last 1.5 songs. Kind of ruined the whole day after that.

Tokyo Police Club were great as usual. I liked Tapes N Tapes new material as well. Matt and Kim are always a riot with some of the most intense fans.

Another band I was really impressed with was that Iranian act, Hypernova. I thought it would be a gimmick act, but it was surprisingly very good. It has a Joy Division/Strokes sound to it. Definitely worth checking out. http://www.myspace.com/hypernovamusic

I was able to see every artist even before they had the showcase during those free day shows. So even if a showcase event was packed, I usually had seen the artist the day before during a free day show.

I realized you really don't need a badge or wristband to enjoy the festival, even if you are there the full week.

The festival really dies off on Saturday. I know that alot of people show up just for the weekend, but I would strongly recommend someone who is planning on attending SXSW to take some sick days and catch Wednesday and Thursday. The whole mood is different on those days and there is alot of excitement. It just feels really deflated on Friday night/Saturday.

On the whole, I think the lineup was better last year, but I enjoyed the festival as usual. I think I saw around 40 shows over the 4 days.

Rant: I saw this fat police officer giving people tickets for jaywalking. I mean, WTF. It seemed at first like he was just picking people at random. I was actually standing at a corner near the convention center waiting for someone, and in the 15 minutes I was there he gave out 3 jaywalking citations. But curiously all three of the citations were to minority groups (an Indian guy, black guy and an Asian guy). I wanted to stick around and see if he was targeting just people of color, but I had to go. Seemed kind of odd in that there were literally a hundred different people (mostly white) who jaywalked that intersection, and he would just pick out those three.

Anyways, I love Austin. The people are so nice. So much good food, music and a very laid back atmosphere.

#65 Mr. Brightside, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

austin is always laid back. wonder if that cop was really doing that though

7. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

South by South...WEST SIDE!!
    [​IMG]

8. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Member

Me as well. I was under the impression that Downtown was a sort of 'no jaywalking' zone.

At any rate, I was suprised by the larger crowds during the Interactive Fest & smaller crowds during the music fest. I never could figure out why...was it the ever increasing number of day shows? I think so.

9. percicles

percicles Member

I use Soulseek for all my electro limited edition only on vinyl stuff. There was a copy of In Ghost Colours on a few days back. I grabbed it but it was at 96 bitrate. Probably a rip from their myspace.

I did grab the Boys Noize remix of Lights and Music way back in December from there.

10. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't get a chance. was it the same night as ice cube?
    too many freaking people at the parking lot across the street.
    decided to grab some food/beer afterwards.

I saw this band called South on friday. also saw grupo fantasma,del show at auditorium shores.