1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Susan G. Komen removes funding from Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by nef2005, Feb 3, 2012.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Like I said, the outcry was understandable and based on the above info, there's definitely something worth taking them to task about.

My only point was that as a charitable organization, they do have a responsibility to ensure that donor funds are used appropriately. To quote twhy77:

Additionally, the response was, in my opinion, disproportionate when assessed against the body of work SGK does and the decisions justification. SGK's income statement from FY2010 reported $311 million dollars in revenue. If twhy77 is correct in that only $640k is being affected on grounds that some find dubious, I dont think its legitimate to undermine the litany of research grant programs that SGK funds through their various fundraising efforts annually because of a solitary, ill-advised decision thats already been reversed.

2. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

But it can just as easily be said that PP put politics over cancer on this one. They are still going to do referrals and screenings with or without SGK's money. I think its common sense for SGK to not even touch PP, say that's a separate issue that's toxic on either side and separate from what our mission is.

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

They made the choice to separate from PP and you saw what happened. SGK was the one that started the political trainwreck. As I stated before, they received harsh criticism within their own ranks. A top exec stepped down because of it. Local affiliates were infuriated. Hell, it wouldn't have been as bad if they would have just been honest and have come out as a pro-life company. Instead, they hid in the "federal investigation" smokebomb and everybody saw right through it.

Eye on the prize

[​IMG]

What a waste of unity and positive energy over the abortion issue.

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

It doesn't have to be over the abortion issue if they would have framed it right. Just say, we don't want distractions, this isn't a pro-choice/pro-life thing. I know a ton of people who don't give to SGK because it goes against their conscience.

5. ChievousFTFace

Except that partnering with PP can help with early detection. Choosing to stop giving grant money goes against SGK's primary objective. Pro-choice/life has nothing to do with breast cancer. If your friends can't donate to SGK, then that is their choice based on religious convictions... Something they are free to have.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is a fundamental difference in beliefs. My belief is that life begins at conception. Once conception happens, a baby is created and develops starting at that point. Apparently your definition is when the baby is born? Let me tell you -- babies are alive inside the womb. They have heartbeats, kick, smile and move. I'd bet good money you don't have kids of your own, because you see these things for yourself during the pregnancy.

Now this is just straight up disgusting. Who the hell are you (or anybody) to decide that they believe a baby won't have a good life, even before they're born? That should NEVER be the determining factor.

By that logic, why can't I go kill somebody you've never met? It won't affect you at all.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do whatever you can to maximize your funding or make your operation less stressful; I'm not paying for someone else's cancer meds so I can't judge how they do it.

8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Bigtexxx.

Just curious,what you consider conception?

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

A free society will sort this thing out.

Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion mill in the country. Now we know Komen gives them money, and people can factor that into their decision to donate to them.

PP getting taxpayer dollars is another matter...

And as that video someone posted shows, PP does not do mammograms.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

So, it turns out that the staunchly Anti-Choice VP of Komen was the driving force behind denying breast exams and pap smears for underserved women...simply because she hates Planned Parenthood.

Shocking...

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Time to donate more $$$ to PP.

12. bigtexxx

Question for the pro-baby abortion crowd:

Would you fund planned parenthood if all they did were baby abortions? And they spun off their "other services group" that provides health care to the poor to a separate entity?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Absolutely. Vital service that everyone should have access to, without fear of retribution, ridicule, or persecution, should they need it.

http://goodmenproject.com/confronting-life.html

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you not say that others should be able to make that separation? I mean why can't anti-abortionists recognize that preventing breast cancer screenings saves lives and is something they should support? I could understand if sgk was funding abortions but they are not.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That policy was specifically adopted to target PP

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Maybe they just want govt out of their lives.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. I'll gladly drive over and and walk my check to them giving the protesters outside a fat grin.

18. bigtexxx

See that's what I thought -- it's more about "winning" some silly grudge battle versus your political "opponent" as opposed to really *thinking* about what you're doing. It seems many get so caught up in this grudge battle that they lose sight of what they're actually doing. THINK people, think.

19. ChievousFTFace

[​IMG]

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's not about winning. It's about what is right. It's not political because I own guns and I feel the same way about those as I do the right for a women to control a decision that could change her entire life. I support the rights of individuals.