1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme court strikes down strict Texas abortion law aimed at closing clinics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No need, just offer poor people like 100 bucks per kid they kill and the problem will take care of itself. After enough abortions they'll be sterile. The benefit to society will greatly outweigh the cost.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I wonder how many women would get their tubes tied if the government offered say $5,000 to do it before they have any kids (at the state level, no federal power to do this)? Sterilization could also be imposed as a condition of probation and as a condition of receiving welfare benefits. It is hard to imagine the country being worse off if the criminal and indigent are not having children.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

There's no coming back from those types of comments by him.

And people have the nerves to say "All lives matter".

Since when?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not even opposed to having a limit of children for everyone rich or poor.

Say 4 healthy kids?

5. Major

Major Member

Sounds like something North Korea would do. I guess it all depends on if you believe having a horribly misguided government makes the country worse off.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, "no coming back" from comments like that? Why would I need to "come back" from them? There's nothing wrong with what I said, in fact it shouldn't be controversial at all.

Also, for the record, I've never said "all lives matter", I've always said "no lives matter" because that's the truth.

I know some don't like the truth, but there's nothing I can do about that.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Your posts exude that of someone who is tactless, inconsiderate, insensitive, and lacking empathy. In short, you are a jackass.

You being wrong all the time isn't the only reason you don't have any respect around here.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I always laugh at the fact these Pro-lifers will fight, kill to defend fetuses. However, After they are born.......they don't give a **** about them. They don't want to use "their" money to help support these poor fetuses once they are out of the womb.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just a realist. I say things the way they are and I don't really care if a simpleton like you has a problem with it....btw, what are you doing here, don't you have some Kanye West videos to be watching?

1 person likes this.
  10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Nope, simultaneously the conservatives DO support:
    1. Death penalty
    2. War in Iraq/Afghanistan
    3. 2nd Amendment to shoot/kill people with little recourse in the name of "self defense"
    4. Police (who shoot/kill suspects with little to no cause)
    etc, etc. etc.

The Republican party supports death in many forms.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And we have the comic relief....

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is simply outstanding news. The current Texas state government, under the grip of far-right extremists, made a blatant attempt to circumvent the law and the Supreme Court slapped them down. I've been on a high all day. Bravo!

13. cml750

cml750 Member

They have no right to do so. They need to review the 10th amendment of the Constitution as they apparently have no clue what it means. In no way does the Constitution grant authority to the federal government to make such decisions so the right goes to the state to make the decision.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Supreme Court is totally within the framework of the constitution to defend rights. States were violating the constitution as abortion has been ruled to be a constitutional right.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, for the record, you are against any move by the government restricting constitutional rights, or restricting access to constitutionally protected activities?

I'll remember this when you discuss the 2nd amendment later.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Please point to the amendment granting that right???? Liberals like you are such hypocrites. You would try to limit an expressly stated right in the Constitution like the right to bear arms and then try to infer a right like abortion that is just not there. Texas was well within it's rights granted under the 10th amendment to make that law because abortion is not a right granted in the Constitution. Are you incapable of comprehension???

#76 cml750, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The argument made by the court in 1973 basically said that abortion was "liberty" that couldn't be deprived without due process. It doesn't actually state a constitutional right to abortion outright, they just ruled that killing children in the womb was covered under the broad umbrella of "liberty".

It was a really garbage decision, but I'm a fan of the results.

18. mclawson

mclawson Member

Tell the truth - have you actually read the opinion in its entirety? Not just the dissents, but the entire thing?

(Side note, please understand that "its" is a possessive pronoun and as such needs no apostrophe. You wouldn't type "hi's" instead of "his" would you? "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and has a completely different meaning. Hope that helps. Being married to an English teacher/prof makes you acutely aware of such things.)

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Article VI of the Constitution.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It is not up to the Texas Congressman to decide what is and what is not a constitutional right. Abortion is a right as determined by the supreme court based on the 14th Constitutional Amendment. The constitution is not a very long document and the purpose of the supreme court is to interpret how issues relate to the tenants in the constitution and their amendments. That is their job. There are millions of things that are legal that are not listed in the constitution.

The current regulations on guns comes nowhere close to the level of regulation and massive exceptions that regularly apply to the 1st amendment right to free speech. There is at least a reasonable amount of regulations and limitations that are needed for public safety that the founders had no way of knowing would become an issue.

How do you think he would be able to answer that question if he was?

#80 Brando2101, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016