1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From personal experience I will say otherwise.

jiggyfly, ROCKSS and Deckard like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

B B Buuttt AOC iS a ThREat to aLL aMeRiCaN ThInGZZZZZZZZ

ROCKSS and TheJuice like this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He had a 17-year-old girlfriend in Florida where the age of consent is 17 and flew her to DC and the Bahamas. Let's not pretend he was engaged in some child prostitution ring. He isn't Jeff Epstein, he just took a job (Congressman) in a jurisdiction with a different age of consent. Of all the nothingburger stories, this is the nothingburgerest. The fact that the justice department is even investigating it is embarassing.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, even as you described it trying to minimize what Gaetz did, it is incredibly disturbing, predatory and gross.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wrong. Age of consent in Florida is 18. They do have the Romeo and Juliet exception, but Gaetz was way too old for that.

#1065 bobrek, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok I see you acknowledged that Gaetz is credibly accused of paying for sex with an underage girl.

Even if FL’s age of consent was 17 I still would say there is something very unseemly about a member of Congress in their 30’s dating a 17 year old.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Because of Texas abortion law, her wanted pregnancy became a medical nightmare

How Texas abortion law turned a pregnancy loss into a medical trauma : Shots - Health News : NPR

Elizabeth Weller never dreamed that her own hopes for a child would become ensnared in the web of Texas abortion law.

She and her husband began trying in late 2021. They had bought a house in Kingwood, a lakeside development in Houston. Elizabeth was in graduate school for political science, and James taught middle-school math.

The Wellers were pleasantly surprised when they got pregnant early in 2022.

"We skipped over the genetic testing offered in the first trimester," Elizabeth says. "I was born with a physical disability. If she had any physical ailments, I would never abort her for that issue."

Elizabeth thought of abortion rights in broad terms: "I have said throughout my life I believe that women should have the access to the right to an abortion. I personally would never get one."

It was May 10, 2022. Elizabeth was 18 weeks pregnant. She ate a healthy breakfast, went for a walk outside and came back home.

Elizabeth stood up to get some lunch. That's when she felt something "shift" in her uterus, down low, and then "this burst of water just falls out of my body. And I screamed because that's when I knew something wrong was happening."

James rushed home from work and drove Elizabeth to the nearby Woodlands Hospital, part of the Houston Methodist hospital system. An ultrasound confirmed that she had suffered premature rupture of membranes, which affects about 3% of pregnancies.

A doctor sat down and told her: "There's very little amniotic fluid left. That's not a good thing. All you can do now is just hope and pray that things go well."

"I can tell that she's been beat down, because she has been trying to fight for me all day, advocating on my behalf," Elizabeth says. "And she starts to cry and she tells me: 'They're not going to touch you.' And that 'you can either stay here and wait to get sick where we can monitor you, or we discharge you and you monitor yourself. Or you wait till your baby's heartbeat stops.'"

To Elizabeth, it seemed obvious that things were deteriorating. She had cramps, and was passing clots of blood. Her discharge was yellow and smelled weird. But the hospital staff told her that those weren't the right symptoms, yet, of a growing infection in her uterus.

They told her the signs of a more severe infection would include a fever of 100.4 degrees and chills. Her discharge had to be darker. And it had to smell foul, really bad. Enough to make her retch.

On Friday, when she woke up, she was still passing blood and discharge, still feeling sick, and feeling strange things in her uterus. She felt lost and confused. "I was just laying in bed, you know, wondering: Am I pregnant or am I not pregnant? And it's this stupid, like, distinction that you're just making in this grief. You're trying to understand exactly what's going on. Because at this point, I'm in survival mode. I'm trying to understand. I'm trying to mentally survive this."

As Friday dragged on, Elizabeth started wondering if maybe the heartbeat had stopped. She called her doctor and begged to get in. At the office, her ob-gyn turned down the ultrasound volume so they wouldn't have to hear.

"I said 'Well, is there a heartbeat still?' And she says 'Yes. And it's strong.'"

"It was devastating to hear that," Elizabeth says. "Not because I wanted my baby to die, but because I needed this hell to end. And I knew my baby was suffering, I knew I was suffering, I knew my husband was suffering."

Right there in the office, James pulled out his cell phone, and started looking for flights to states with less restrictive abortion laws. Maybe they could get the abortion in Denver or Albuquerque.

"He and I kept telling each other 'What is the whole point of the Hippocratic Oath to do no harm?'" Elizabeth says. "And yet we're being pulled through this."

Back at home, the Wellers got more serious about their travel plans and started booking tickets.

Then Elizabeth felt another sudden, forceful gush of fluid leave her body. The color was darker and the odor was foul. Enough to make her retch.

When they called the doctor's office back, they were told to go straight to the emergency room. And quickly. They now had some of the symptoms they needed to show the infection was getting worse.

"Because I didn't want anybody to tell me they did not believe me," she says. "And if they didn't believe me, I was going to show it to them and say "Look! You open it. You smell it yourself. You're not going to tell me that what I'm experiencing isn't real, again."

She never had to use that bag. Because once they reached Methodist, while they were still checking in at the emergency room, her doctor called.

The ethics panel had reached a decision, the doctor told them. Unnamed, unknown doctors somewhere had come to an agreement that Elizabeth could be induced that night.

As Elizabeth recalled hearing, it was one particular doctor who had argued her case: "They found a doctor from East Texas who spoke up and was so patient forward, so patient advocating, that he said 'This is ridiculous.'"

"We shouldn't have been celebrating," Elizabeth says. "And yet we were. Because the alternative was hell."

Elizabeth was induced late Friday night, and the labor became painful enough that she had to get an epidural. Midnight came and went in a blur. On Saturday, May 14, about 2 a.m., she gave birth. Their daughter, as expected, was stillborn.

"Later they laid down this beautiful baby girl in my arms. She was so tiny. And she rested on my chest ... I looked at her little hands and I just cried. And I told her 'I'm so sorry. I couldn't give you life. I'm so sorry."

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Indiana Senate GOP approves an amendment that removes exceptions for rape and incest. Got to carry it to term.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not a surprise.

States With Abortion Bans Are Among Least Supportive for Mothers and Children (yahoo.com)

According to a New York Times analysis, the 24 states that have banned abortion (or probably will) fare worse on a broad range of outcomes than states where abortion will probably remain legal — including child and maternal mortality, teenage birthrates and the share of women and children who are uninsured. The states deemed likely to ban abortion either have laws predating Roe that ban abortion; have recently passed stringent restrictions; or have legislatures that are actively considering new bans.

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

^^^ that's a bad look for the Court man, but it's par for the course.

15. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Alito claims that he's not a politician but he sure as hell acts like one.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think the fact he had a 17-year-old girlfriend as a grown man and a congressman is a nothing burger?

And you are using the word girlfriend very liberally she was at best a side chick.

He is being investigated because he most likely paid to play and maybe did the same with an underage female.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hang on to your hats, because the discrepancies are about to get a lot worse.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's a clever trick by the government. Trick people into disclosing that you're pregnant in order to make it easier to prosecute you down the road when there is no birth.