1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Sure buddy. Pursue sexual gratification at any cost. Take a look around society and how much suffering the irresponsible use of the sexual faculties has caused.

Sex is fun, but it is serious and should be entered into with thoughtful consideration and care.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HTM said from the get-go that he knew his position wasn't popular and he was right. But full respect for stating it and sticking around to discuss it.

I don't support irresponsible casual sex for anyone. Responsible casual sex with birth control is a personal decision between consenting adults.

Nook, AkeemTheDreem86 and HTM like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Birth control probably is the single best things for reducing abortion. Free birth control even better.

Abortion rates plummet with free birth control - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis (wustl.edu)

Providing birth control to women at no cost substantially reduced unplanned pregnancies and cut abortion rates by a range of 62-78 percent compared to the national rate, a new study shows.

The research, by investigators at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, appears online Oct. 4 in Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Among a range of birth control methods offered in the study, most women chose long-acting methods like intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants, which have lower failure rates than commonly used birth control pills. In the United States, IUDs and implants have high up-front costs that sometimes aren’t covered by health insurance, making these methods unaffordable for many women.

“This study shows that by removing barriers to highly-effective contraceptive methods such as IUDs and implants, we can reduce unintended pregnancies and the need for abortions,” says lead author Jeff Peipert, MD, PhD, the Robert J. Terry Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Unplanned pregnancies are a major problem in the United States. According to a 2012 Brookings Institution report, more than 90 percent of abortions occur due to an unintended pregnancy.

Each year, about 50 percent of all U.S. pregnancies are not planned, far higher than in other developed countries. About half of these pregnancies result from women not using contraception and half from incorrect or irregular use.

From 2008 to 2010, annual abortion rates among study participants ranged from 4.4 to 7.5 per 1,000 women. This is a substantial drop (ranging from 62-78 percent) compared to the national rate of 19.6 abortions per 1,000 women in 2008, the latest year for which figures are available.

The lower abortion rates among CHOICE participants also is considerably less than the rates in St. Louis city and county, which ranged from 13.4 to 17 per 1,000 women, for the same years.

Among girls ages 15-19 who had access to free birth control provided in the study, the annual birth rate was 6.3 per 1,000, far below the U.S. rate of 34.3 per 1,000 for girls the same age.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're blaming women like my Ex and Sweet Lou's mom for being irresponsible yet we know that women are frequently decieved, pressured or outrightly forced into sex. As in the case of my ex she was decieved by her partner at the time. How are women then in those situations irresponsible if they are relying upon, tricked into or forced into sex and a subsequent pregnancy by a partner who doesn't behave irresponsibly?

VooDooPope, Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Amanda Jean Stevenson, Author at Colorado Newsline

Amanda Jean Stevenson is a sociologist trained in demographic and computer science methods. She studies the impacts of and responses to abortion and family planning policy. She is an assistant professor of sociology at the University of Colorado Boulder. In her current research, she uses demographic methods to study the impacts of reproductive health policies, and computational methods to study social responses to these policies.​

Study shows an abortion ban may lead to a 21% increase in pregnancy-related deaths

As a researcher who measures the effects of contraception and abortion policy on people’s lives, I usually have to wait years for the data to roll in. But sometimes anticipating a policy’s effects before they happen can suggest ways to avoid its worst consequences.

In my forthcoming peer-reviewed paper, currently available as a preprint, I found that if the U.S. ends all abortions nationwide, pregnancy-related deaths will increase substantially because carrying a pregnancy to term can be deadlier than having an abortion.

Pregnancy is riskier than abortion
    Banning abortion does not stop people from trying to end their pregnancies. But it won’t result in a return to the kinds of unsafe abortion that killed hundreds of women per year before the Supreme Court’s ruling Roe v. Wade legalized abortion in the U.S.

Recent advances in medication abortion, which relies on prescription drugs rather than a procedure, have made safer abortions outside of clinics possible. They set the stage for organizations like Plan C to help pregnant people safely manage their own abortions with pills if they want or need to.

Staying pregnant, on the other hand, carries a greater risk of death for the pregnant person than having an abortion. Abortion is incredibly safe for pregnant people in the U.S., with 0.44 deaths per 100,000 procedures from 2013 to 2017. In contrast, 20.1 deaths per 100,000 live births occurred in 2019. In the U.S., pregnancy-related deaths occur for many reasons, including cardiovascular conditions, infections and hemorrhage caused or worsened by being pregnant or giving birth.

To do this, I used published U.S. pregnancy and abortion death rates to project how many deaths would occur if all pregnancies that currently end in abortion were instead continued to miscarriage or term. My conservative estimate found that the annual number of pregnancy-related deaths would increase by 21% overall, or 140 additional deaths, by the second year after a ban.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree that casual unprotected sex is irresponsible and strongly agree with personal responsibility. Again though as a man I can't get pregnant. The problem that I see with the attitude towards women that have abortions is "well they should be more responsible" is that they are the ones who bear the overwhelming responsibility. While men should behave responsibly only one party will be stuck with the pregnancy if the the man decides to leave the relationship.

That is why this attitude sounds very judgemental towards women when it often isn't their sole responsibility and even if they believe they are responsible (think they are in a committed and supportive relationship) they are stuck with the consequences if the other party doesn't act responsibly.

#666 rocketsjudoka, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No, you didn’t. There were no replies to my post from you until now.

8. leroy

I think what he’s saying is that he’s quite clearly still a virgin.

jiggyfly, VooDooPope and Andre0087 like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

1. I haven’t exclusively blamed women. It’s irresponsible for both partners. I’ve spent many posts here chastising some male posters attitudes towards casual sex. I recognize that men are a driving force in these tragedies. Happy to blame Sweet Lous dad and your Ex’s partner plenty.
    2. It’s irresponsible to engage in sexual activities at a young age. For people like your ex, there would be no positive scenario were she to great pregnant, young, probably poor and either 1. Looking at an abortion which is traumatic and a horrible thing to go through or 2. Be a single mom at 21 or so. Those are the potential fruits of the irresponsible use of someone’s sexual faculties.

No one can guarantee that everything works out if you’re 25 and in a solid marriage but that’s about as good a guarantee as the world can provide.

Whether anyone believes in God or not, I imagine most people would love to see their child exercise their sexual faculties in that context. Not because they are a prude, but because that’s what’s best for humans.

10. HTM

HTM Member

It's funny. People who give thoughtful consideration to their human sexuality and it's effect on others in this world are made fun of and people like Dwight Howard who have like 11 kids by 9 women are looked up too. How much suffering do you think that has caused to those women and to those kids? You don't care.

People like @leroy is why we see so much suffering around issues like human sexuality and families.

It's sad. I feel bad for you that you are that immature and assuredly quite a bit older then me.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a yes.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are applying your belief system to other people. That's your right, but you should also realize no one likes to be preached to and condescended to by someone of a religion they don't belong or practice.

You are not the victim here.

13. HTM

HTM Member

What belief system? I haven’t mentioned religion once.

You don’t have to be religious to apply ethics to sexuality.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The only people who put forward the point of view you are sharing are religious people.

15. AkeemTheDreem86

Seems disingenuous and convenient.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Left killed the pro-choice coalition
    Feminists are increasingly demonising pregnancy

https://unherd.com/2022/06/the-left-killed-the-pro-choice-coalition/

excerpt:

In 1992, while the ascendant evangelical Right was pushing to roll back abortion rights as part of its “family values” platform, the Democratic party stumbled on a pro-choice message that would not only win the presidency but also define the party’s position for years to come. It consisted of three words, first spoken by then-presidential nominee Bill Clinton, and ultimately heard so often that they started to take on the air of catechism: an incantation whose mere utterance rendered a politician rhetorically bulletproof.

Safe. Legal. Rare.

For those whose interest in the American Left only goes back as far as the Obama administration, it’s hard to explain what a triumph this was. Not only did the phrase create a big tent under which even people who felt morally ambivalent about abortion could comfortably gather, it also forced Republicans into insane, reactionary counter-positions. As well as safe and legal abortions, the Democrats were promoting comprehensive sex education and contraceptive access, which would help prevent unwanted pregnancies from happening in the first place — and Republicans, rather than make common cause with their enemies, mostly opted to argue against these things.

And so, for a brief but magical moment, the Democrats could reasonably claim to be the party of fewer abortions and more shagging, while conservatives were left to take the deeply unpopular position that all non-procreative sex was bad, actually.

Caitlin Flanagan of The Atlantic has observed the remarkable staying power of “safe, legal, and rare”, which “translated into language the inchoate sentiments of millions of Americans so exactly that they had to hear it only once for it to become their firmly held position on abortion”. The message was so effective that Hillary Clinton even resurrected it in 2008 during her first (ultimately unsuccessful) play for the Democratic presidential nomination. Two years after that President Barack Obama explicitly identified the phrase as “the right formulation” when it came to discussing abortion.

And yet, in the past 10 years, “safe, legal and rare” has fallen out of favour, as arguments emerged in the more language-obsessed corners of the Left that the “rare” part was unduly stigmatising. “It posits that having an abortion is a bad decision and one that a pregnant person shouldn’t have to make”, one activist wrote last year, in an essay demanding the phrase be retired.
    more at the link

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You wrote "t's tragic people like your ex made irresponsible choices and had to go through that."
    And you're blaming women again. You're putting the onus on them while ignoring that there are two partners and one abandoned them.

Yes you do blame men and I actually agree with you there as a man that said you're ignoring that one partner can't get pregnant in this situation and if they lie, decieve and abandon the other partner that party is still stuck having to make a terrible decision.

This is why your post just sound like moralizing from on high without understanding. You're making a judgement and covering it by saying well I think both parties are irresponsible without considering the fundamental differences between the parties.
    True no one can guarantee anything works out at any age but even in a marriage there are plenty of marriages that fall apart. There are plenty of marriages where one pary walks out on the other party. To reiterate again, only one party can get pregnant.

Your argument amounts to that even if a woman is lied to and abandoned it's her fault for not being responsible.

jiggyfly, Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, it is very hard and it is why I think that the democratic party is going through reconstruction and the demographics of the party are going to change. The Republicans are and have been going through the same thing. Their voting block just embraced it quicker, because of Trump. It isn't an easy thing to do.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  20. leroy

You don't think people like Dwight Howard are made fun of for that? Or Shawn Kemp? Or even Calvin Murphy? No one looks up to them because of the amount of kids they have.

FYI...Howard has 5 kids. Not 11. Pretty big difference. He has no subs for his basketball team.

Thanks for your pity and all but I'm just as mature as I need to be. One joke at your expense doesn't change that. I, and many others like me, chose not to live the Puritan life.