1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court Appointment Watch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Feb 24, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Didn't feel like continuing to talk about this in the "Justice Scalia is dead" thread. Felt morbid.

Anyway, the Senate has vowed no action no matter what. Saw this story on my homepage for microsoft edge, which I loathe by the way.

Nevada governor (R) under consideration for SC Nomination

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Where am I

3. TheresTheDagger

Astute political move by Obama.

If the Republicans don't allow a vote, they bolster the narrative they are "the party of no" and "obstructionism" once again. If they do allow a vote...and he gets approved, they once again appear to be bowing before Obama and play into the narrative of being weak...thereby putting Republican Senators up for re-election into a very precarious position in an election year.

Your move Senate leadership.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He didn't go to an Ivy league school. There is no non ivy leaguer on the bench. A diversity appointment?

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Live Sri or die.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure the right nomination would garner at least a hearing despite what has been said. Let's face it, they said what they did in order to tell Obama he'll have to go right with the nomination or not bother wasting his time. Maybe that'll happen. We'll see.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The idea of Trump actually being the nom has to be on the minds of the GOP.

They believe Trump will lose to Hillary. Will they take this bone Obama s giving them?

8. TheresTheDagger

I'm gonna put part of a post I made in another thread here. Don't assume they think Trump will lose.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10331635&postcount=904

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No. A "pro" abortion SCJ? They get killed. If they didn't already drawn such a hard line, sure. Now, other than someone that is to the right of RINO, I'm doubtful they will back down.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't see any possibility of Obama nominating Sandoval. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shift the court truly to the left on key issues that shape the Democratic world view. The party would go nuts if Obama were to give that up. Better to roll the dice on 2017 than to ensure a right-leaning court for the foreseeable future.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sure he will at least bluff the GOP. What's he got to lose? It only reinforces the notion that the Right are more unwilling to work with the President.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obama compromising before negotiations even begin? Again? He would deprive President Clinton of the opportunity to flip the court with a liberal nominee.

Or maybe it's just the opposite -- that Republicans anticipated Obama will nominate a centrist, a best-you-could-hope-for-from-a-Democrat nominee that would make them look bad to reject. So, they said no in principle from the outset so that they will later be able to say, "Sandoval is a great governor and all, but we must not hold hearings because to do so would be a great tyranny, persecution and scourge upon the will of the American people. If President Rubio [lol] wants to nominate Mr. Sandoval, of course we will consider him."

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I feel like this is just a coordinated leak to gauge a Republican response. I highly doubt that he will actually nominate Sandoval.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one really does.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Is there even a human being alive under the illusion Obama is at fault for Congressional inaction/obstruction?

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes and you are crazy if you don't believe that they exist.

The entire backlash against the "establishment" in the GOP right now is because they think the GOP has caved and given Obama "everything he wants" while Obama refuses to compromise on one single issue. If you watch Fox News as your primary source you do not get the interpretation that the right has been obstructionist, rather that Obama has been an insane power grabbing quasi dictator and that when the right has had opportunities to oppose him they've just caved out of cowardice. (debt ceiling, defunding obamacare, etc.)

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would really tarnish his legacy, which IMO he cares about a lot.

I think he'll just wait it out.

If Rubio and Hillary become clear favorites though, he might just have to. Rubio would likely defeat Clinton based on current numbers.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but unless it becomes a 2 man race between Rubio and Trump, then Trump is going to be the nominee and none of the Republicans seem to care about actually winning.

20. Major

Major Member

If I'm the GOP and I have Trump as my party's nominee and worry that I might not just lose the Presidency but also the Senate, I jump on the chance to put Sandoval on the court. It would guarantee another generation of a right-leaning court and show that my party can actually govern and isn't obstructionist.

The whole point of their obstruction is to prevent a left-leaning judge. If you give them a judge they like, it's a win-win for the GOP to approve him.