1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

That's wrong. A coach's job is to get the best out of his players and to put them in the best position to succeed. That's roughly a negative 1 correlation with what he did by engaging in this behavior with the most important positional player on the field. Not everyone responds to the same motivation. He had 6 months to figure that out with Brock. Your bias is heavily skewed toward BoB that you couldn't even answer direct questions earlier in the thread such as, "..what other coaches have been in nationally publicized confrontations with this players..". I get it, You feel a certain way. That's fine. Masquerading about and attempting to put things forth as though they are objective and factually based vs wholly subjective is where I have a problem. Not cool.

That's wrong. The reporting and sources - which at this point are all we have - indicate he just threw it back in BoB's face that he's coming to Brock b/c he needs Brock - not because he wants Brock or views him as starter/qb/championship material. If I was benched, and then the coach came right back to me only because I knew, he knew, and the world knew, he needed me I'd take his ass-kissing suggestions with a grain of salt just like Brock.

You just crushed any hope of clinging to objectivity with the quote above. Again, that's cool We are all entitled to our opinions. Just admit it.

You've said this with every iteration of information. Did I miss where this was a 12 round sanctioned WBC title fight or a 5 rd UFC headliner? You're straw-manning the whole "made out to be..." aspect because that's been your go-to, independent of the actual information flow.

See, that's funny because I can't imagine a coach egotistical or maniacal enough that he can't stand the fact that a guy threw his kiss-ass right back in his face. I can't imagine a coach would think turning the thing into a physical confrontation gives his team the best shot to go out and win the game. I can't imagine a coach so detached from reality that he can't take his own medicine.

I guess there's a whole lot that's difficult to imagine about this eh?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So who do you pick, Marshall and Decker or Nuk and Dre? Most people pick Nuk and Dre. He also had Arian Foster for most of that season in Houston.....so yeah, the Jets were significantly worse offensively and it shouldn't really be much of a debate.

So yeah, I'm saying that basically every QB did worse under BOB than elsewhere.....again, shouldn't be much of a debate there either.

I didn't "flip" the conversation, that was the whole point, BOB is an offensive coach and the offense has gotten worse every season under him while the defense has carried. The point of the conversation is to determine what exactly BOB does well and it sure isn't call plays or get the most out of his players.

Nook likes this.
  3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

bbc?

[​IMG]

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL typos are fun.

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Yaosthirdleg and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. rugg31

rugg31 Member

You realize this team you consider significantly better than another team went 2-14 the previous season, had the #1 pick in the draft, and a rookie NFL head coach? Not sure how a team with those traits can ever be considered better, much less significantly better, than another team.

Hell yes I'd of pick that version Decker and Marshall over a 2nd year Nuk and washed up Dre. So would most people.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh wow, you are really going out of your way to defend BOB here, that's....well that's a thing I guess. Anyway, the 2 win season was due to the team giving up on Kubiak, not due to a talent deficiency as evidenced by being between a 12 win season and a 9 win season. The Jets on the other hand were a one year outlier partly due to Fitz's good play in between 4 and 5 win seasons....it's pretty obvious the Texans had the better talent and the offense continues to get worse and worse ever since they brought in an offense minded head coach....which clearly shows how awesome he is at his job.....somehow.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He was also leaking rumors about leaving right in the middle of our playoff run.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

1. I wasn't attempting to pass anything as facts based. I was attempting to take the report in generalities, as these things should, rather than factually.
    2. Of course he's coming to Brock because he needs him. That's exactly what happens when someone gets hurt. Ever hear of " next man up?!" Brock should expect, as a backup, that he'd be called on, should the starter get hurt. In fact, he said as much once he was benched. He said he'd be ready and help the team as best he could. Whining and pouting about it doesn't help the team...

Also, who said O'Brien went to him ass-kissing. The article said Obrien informed him he'd be starting the second half, and he got pissed. That's not professional.

3. I AM offering my opinion, and it's not necessarily objective.

4. The actual information flow says that there was a "physical confrontation". I'm saying it doesn't sound like there was pushing or shoving. I'm saying "physical confrontation" is a vague term. In fact, someone used it in the Izzo and Brady situations, which were both on film, and showed no physicality.

While we're at it, I'm not answering the "where has this happened before?" Question because I don't remember it happening. As I indicated before, I follow the Texans. I don't follow other teams closely. I guaranteed you if I polled my non-Texan fan NFL friends, none of them would remember the Brady or Izzo incident.

5. Once again, where did it ever come up that O'Brien was trying to be a kiss ass and Osweiler threw it in his face? The fact of the matter is that the story infers that Osweiler is mentally weak, seeing as how he repeated, multiple times, that he was being held hostage by the team. In reality, his play was not good enough for him to start.

Maybe O'Brien shouldn't have confronted him, but you expect your backup quarterback to display professionalism and accept his assignment. I'm sure most quarterbacks in the league would have reacted differently than Osweiler in the same situation.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Had no idea why that picture was posted till I saw this .gif:D

11. Two Sandwiches

I'm wondering if it was all tied together and if this thing ran deep enough that O'Brien told ownership that it was him or Brock...

That said, there was no excuse for that.

12. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Not really defending BOB. The offense was terrible this year. It's his offense so he is to blame. Osweiler and o-line were garbage.

I was commenting in the beginning more on your analysis that every qb is so much better away from BOB. Besides five meaningless Hoyer starts there's nothing to back that up, hence change of subjects twice by you.

You're the one telling me a two win team is better purely on your own speculation and analysis. If a team wins two games, then that means they're not a good team. They had some big names in talent, but top to bottom there were plenty of holes in that roster.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....so besides Fitz throwing for a career high in TDs the season after he left and interception machine Hoyer not throwing a pick in 5 starts the season after he left, and Osweiler playing considerably better the season before he was here, and Mallett only having off the field issues here and not with the Pats or Ravens....nothing to suggest that QB's do better away from BOB as a head coach. Just ignore all of that, and you can cling to the delusion that BOB is doing something positive for the offense and team as a whole.

Also, I never changed the subject....so yeah, don't know where you are going there.

When it comes to the Texans' 2 win season, the exact same team won 12 the season before and nearly the same team won 9 the very next season.....so yeah, I'm chalking that up as the team giving up on the head coach instead of thinking that the entire team just lost their talent for a season.

14. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I don't see any way that BOB wanted to bring in Brock. Doesn't seem like his type of guy whatsoever. Pure speculation on that, but not surprised with the season full of drama from the tweets right after we signed him to reports BOB might leave after the playoffs. Considering he'll get at least a say in this year's decision it's time for the offense to show better this season.

TheFreak and Two Sandwiches like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

19 touchdowns and 7 interceptions for Hoyer under Obrien is an interception machine?

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of that was either garbage time or against the few weakest defenses in the NFL. 10 of those 19 touchdowns were in garbage time against Atlanta who was playing backups by the time he got in and in games against New Orleans, Tennessee, and Jacksonville who were 3 of the worst defenses in the NFL. Against good teams, he was an interception machine.....or did you forget that he was the Chiefs MVP?

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One thing is for sure though, BOB has REALLY good PR people.

macho GRANDE, Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Oh Pancakes:

Mr. Clutch likes this.