1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Support] 50 million pound challenge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Classic

Classic Member

Good luck to all those involved. I'm a personal trainer and have helped a lot of people lose weight. I have a mother and daughter who lost 107 and 85lbs respectfully and it was one of the most gratifying experiences I've ever been a part of. I applaud those willing to take up eating healthier and exercising as a regular part of their lifestyle. If anyone has any basic questions, I'd be more than willing to help out my fellow clutchfaners! Good luck. :)

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

So to kick things off I ran to the gym during lunch (about half a mile to a mile away) and did 30 minutes on the bike and then ran back to work.

Next stop... improving diet.

:D

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Nice DH, nothing like the competitive spirit to get you to do something you wouldn't normally. :)

Also, Thanks for the offer Classic!

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I went to yoga today.

Classic, what is a good arm-toning exercise? If I use dumbbells how heavy should they be? I've heard that you should do many reps on lighter dumbbells for weight loss/toning, but I don't know what is considered light. I'm not a very strong person and my arms are spent when I try to do many reps with my 10 pounders.

5. no_answer

no_answer Member

I went to the zoo today. Glad to do my part. ;)

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

il pass.

i brought up this **** last year when that dude was in town.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

good luck Hayesfan.

I need to lose a bit o weight myself

8. Hayesfan

Thanks VDP. We have 9 people signed up. Hopefully the competition will be motivation on the days I just cringe at going to the gym.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'll take the over. :eek: j/k! j/k!

But seriously, for the nationwide project, what if a massive amount of weight is gained. That is possible.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

it's hard to take weight off.

the most i ever lost was 7 lbs in one week.

i wasnt eating for a week. or it felt like.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Played a couple hours of ball tonight. Will get on my stationary bike while watching the tube I guess. :eek:

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'll go on record saying it isn't THAT hard to lose weight for most. It just takes discipline and time.

But it is harder for most women imo.

13. Classic

Classic Member

I take it you're a female. In my experience when it comes to weight training with women, a lot of times women don't actually push themselves hard enough with weights to actually get any benefit. By that, I mean, women pick a much lighter weight and do a bunch of reps. To really tone and build muscle, you need to find a weight that you actually 'burn out' on reps 12-15. It is one thing to get tired, another to 'burn out.' Without seeing you I have no idea if 10lbs and what you're doing with it would constitute that.

Some exercises that work well for tricep toning though:

rope/straight bar cable pull down
    dumbbell kickbacks
    assisted dips
    skull crushers
    overhead tricep extensions

I was telling my wife one time that a lot of women don't use enough weight to really get results. We were on vacation and she picked up a Shape magazine because of what the front cover said along the lines of 'tone up this summer' and that was basically what the article was saying. It is kind of hard to teach this kind of stuff without being in person though. I'm sure if you googled the above exercises you could find illustrations or pick up a book at the book store. There are a lot of really good weight training books for women out there. Also, my wife reads Shape and it's not too bad...

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

It is painful waking up at 6:20, but did it so that the gf and I could go walking for 30minutes this morning.

Hopefully, I can convince her to go swimming this evening.

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Did the same thing today... my "weigh-in" was a little startling, though. Yesterday when I finished the bike the scale said 199 and today it said 192.

I'm assuming its water weight but that's still a pretty big number.

But anyway... feel good so far. :)

Should we set up an alternative place to discuss this?

16. Hayesfan

I don't think anyone minds one thread. We can talk here. I didn't weigh today. I normally do it once a week on Saturday mornings.

I have a softball game tonight so hopefully that will help me out. cause its hot out there!

#36 Hayesfan, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  17. xcharged

xcharged Member

do i get credit for weight i already lost?
    212 ---> 179

now trying to put on muscle

stuck at 189

:(

18. Hayesfan

I don't see why not. The challenge started more than a year ago ;)

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Overall I've done a good job eating the 'right' foods and I've greatly increased my exercise. (0 to most days doing something)

Yesterday was a bad day though for dinner :/ pizza. But, oh well... it'll happen.

20. Hayesfan

I have struggled with the "right foods" since I am on the move from 6 am to 9:30 pm. But I have been doing some sort of exercise every day too. :)

Don't forget to post your weight for the week! I think there are four or five people who have posted updates already.