1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Jul 12, 2023.

?

Who has the best chance of becoming a Superstar?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2023.
  1. Jabari

85 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Tari

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Green

112 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. KPJ

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Sengun

83 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Amen

135 vote(s)
    41.9%
  7. Whitmore

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No one. This young core sux.

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Jalen is too skinny and they shoulda tried to play him at point against smaller guards but Silas is an idiot.

2. grednotto

grednotto Member

I disagree. Your definition is what the general public thinks and how the NBA markets superstars but it is not how I would define them.

Three possibly even four of the five guys you listed are guys I would not want to build a team around as a lead guy.

For me superstars are guys who actually have a legitimate shot a winning a championship year after year as the lead guy on a team. Not a guy who's just a perennial playoff contender with his so called scoring gravity. None of these guys have ever won championships. Of course the league would have you think otherwise so that fans of guys like Harden actually tune in to watch.

ramotadab and kspires999 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You not wanting these guys as lead guys and having a different philosophy on how to build a team doesn't negate them being superstars. James Harden was a superstar in his prime. When you are making first rwm NBA every year for like 8 years you are a superstar.

To me, first team players are the superstars. If you.make a first team all-nba, you are a superstar for at least that season.

ramotadab and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

Green is more Michael Jackson than Michael Jordan

Y2JT, Bobbythegreat and solid like this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

His athleticism is off the charts. It's his humpism that we can do without.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I laughed

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

You can select up to two choices

Ankara1923 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Amen can't shoot but neither can Green.
    Honestly I don't care how many guys he humps, I just wish he was a better player.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Might as well say.....Here is my opinion....what is yours? Let's argue about it.

DD

Ancient Moabite and coachbadlee like this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

When it comes to "Superstars", I really only measure them by their archetypes and applying the best case secnario.

What is the 95th percentile of Jalen Green? Devon Booker? Bradley Beal? Damian Lillard (???) All good players, but nobody that can lead a team out of the first round without another all star, let alone win a title as the best player. 2nd Fiddles on Title teams IMO.

Alperen Sengun? If the 6'11" rumors are true, then his 95th %-ile looks like either a super Domantas Sabonis or Nikola Jokic 0.8 or 0.9, though I don't see the natural vision of Jokic with Sengun, if only because it's very hard to be compared to the best to do it at your position. You can win a title with 90% of Nikola Jokic as your top guy, though you'll need a better supporting cast than last year's nuggets. I have very high expectations for Sengun, and ol' boy better show off that three pointer sooner rather than later.

Jabari Smith has to become the Black Dirk Nowitzki to be a top dog, given his questionable handles.

I simply don't have all-star expectations for Tari Eason, but a box-score all star and 3rd best player on a title winner isn't out of the question.

Amen is the most obvious pick to become the team's Superstar if there's only one. Of all the problems everyone else runs into, Jalen's playmaking and defense, Jabari's handle and frame, Sengun's athleticism and jumper, Amen only has to fix the jumper and he's on the path to glory. Still a monumental task, but by far the easiest flaw to address of any of the young core.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think we are all hoping you get that Jock "Itch"

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t think you can lump all 3 of those categories into one group. Not all scorers are playmakers and not all shooters are scorers etc. Murray isn’t necessarily a great scorer or playmaker. Not sure why he is on the list unless you put him in a separate category. Same goes for Haliburton who is a great playmaker but isn’t a great scorer. Tatum isn’t a great playmaker and more of straight scorer etc. If you’re talking about 3 tool players then these 3 need to be omitted. Lamelo would probably be on this list if that’s the criteria. Just my opinion

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not many players can get past their man into the paint with ease or go north south as quickly with the ball than Green. No question he is special. It takes time to hone a player’s skills for the NBA game and it took most of the stars you see today several years to get there. Let’s appreciate our guy more.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amen and Bari are the ones with superstar upside imo.

And Sengun if he really is 6'11 now without shoes as he claimed.

Amen is 6'7 point guard with top 5% athleticism. That's basically as high an upside as you can get, if he played in college he'd probably be called the next Lebron James alongside Wemby. I remember all the hype Lonzo and Zion had Amen would prob be the same if he was dunking on college players instead of 16-18 yr olds.

Jabari, we,'ve seen a glimpse of his ceiling in SL. If he can play like that in the NBA I think he can be a superstar.

Offensively, Sengun is already a star playing with brick brigade he still put up good stats. His hole is on defense if he really is 6'11 now then he has more length which will help his D.

Y2JT and ramotadab like this.
  15. fchowd0311

Strong disagree. Being taller isn't some automatic magic power that makes someone better. Green had better games against NBA starters even in his rookie year.

A superstar has to be an elite self creator. And the talent gap between Green and Jabari in that regard is too large where merely being taller doesn't compensate. Just look at their rookie seasons.
    Jabari
    13 ppg on 51% ts but only 26% of his fgs made self created. 1 apg to 1 tpg also

Green rookie year.

17 ppg on 55% ts but on 50% of his fgs made self created. 3 apg 2 tpg

That's just a lot better efficiency on a lot more volume on a lot more difficult attempts. Green is a lot more efficient while taking a lot more difficult shots.

Jabari is going to be more of a taller Harrison Barnes with a better shot which is a all-star player. A much better defensive Michael Porter Jr also is a good comp.

Just doesn't have the high level self creation talent to be a superstar. A star though definitely.

#175 fchowd0311, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    ramotadab likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Also I want to say Stone did a great job getting guys like FVV, Landale and Brooks cuz these guys will push the young guys to show out or sit on the bench.

Landale is a good example, he is a decent player but nothing spectacular. So Sengun has to beat him if wants to start meaning he will have to beat an average center in the NBA and if he can't do that then he's not ready to be a star.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I disagree with you being taller IS a magic power that helps you become better. Who is better 6'1 Michael Jordan or 6'8 Michael Jordan?

There's no hard and fast requirement to be a superstar, it's an amalgamation of your overall impact in the game. Shaq has career 62% ast shots are you saying he is a less star than Jalen Green?

Yeah ok I get you Jabari's rookie year was a lot worse but it doesn't mean Jabari's efficiency will always be bad. In terms of upside Jabari is higher cuz he can be a 2 way force unlike Jalen. Jabari can guard guys 2-5 including the other team's franchise player what about Jalen? Jalen can only guard people 1-2 because his frame is too small. Even if he tries his best I don't see him containing Jalen Brown whereas Jabari can guard either Jalen or Tatum with his size, length and speed. If you're talking about best players you are talking about 2 way players except in extreme outliers like Steph Curry or James Harden .

All Jabari needs to do is clean up his 3 pt shot and try harder on defense and the boards and he is already one of the best young prospects in the league. Jalen Oth needs to work on all aspects of his game cuz although his Ppg is high, his efficiency was mediocre and his defense was among the league's worst.

I love Jalen but being a scorer is the most common commodity in the NBA. Hell Cam Whitmore I think you can Def argue is already a better prospect than rookie Jalen Green.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

You didn't address a single aspect of my post. You didn't address the fact that Jabari has worse efficiency on mostly spoon fed makes, many of which created by Green's scoring gravity.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I already said Jabari had a bad rookie year, it doesn't mean it will always stay that way. If his efficiency is high it doesn't matter if his shots were assisted or not. Anybody can pass you the ball it's still up to you to make that shot.

You also didn't address how Shaq is a superstar despite having higher ast shots than Jalen Green. If self creation is all that matters why is Shaq called the MDP?

20. fchowd0311

First, cam Whitmore is the type of player now if he played against NBA starters would average more turnovers than assists. His ball skill level is significantly lower than Green's ball skills entering the league. Also outside of strength Green is more athletically gifted especially in lateral agility and acceleration.

Also you don't really address anything I typed. You didn't address how Jabari for his career is significantly less efficient while taking significantly easier shots than Green. Also Jabari was horrible also in defense his rookie year and he had nowhere near the offense load as Green. Everyone was bad on defense.

Green has a lot of "stuff you can't teach" traits than Jabari like elite dribble seperation ability