1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Jul 12, 2023.

?

Who has the best chance of becoming a Superstar?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2023.
  1. Jabari

85 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Tari

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Green

112 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. KPJ

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Sengun

83 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Amen

135 vote(s)
    41.9%
  7. Whitmore

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No one. This young core sux.

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Literally the 2 I posted per 36 rookie seasons comparisons with in the 2 posts before that one, it was a back and forth exchange...

2. marinara

marinara Member

Lavine's 3rd season he had a decent jump same for Jalen?

BaselineFade and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green doesn't have to be a "one dimensional player".
    This is where actual basketball analysis comes in and not just box score watching. What is Green really good at that makes him able to score so much for his age? His ability to break down perimeter defenses and collapse them. Green's play style and gifts actually creates a lot of open teammates because he beats perimeter defenses and help defense comes which collapses said defense leaving wide open teammates. Green as of now has issues of wanting to do the spectacular tripple clutch lay up when he beats the initial defense leading him to have some bad decisions but that is something that more reps and more maturity over time will alleviate. He already elevates teammates. For example Sengun has a massive drop off in scoring efficiency when Green is not on the court with him. His efg% drops by a entire 7% which is massive just based off one player being on the court or not with him.

There are players today who are considered borderline superstars like Jalen Brown who literally had more turnovers than assists at Green's age.

If Green is getting you around 4apg now with his pack of experience and often bad reads, why can't he be a 6-7 APG guy when he matures and develops more especially given his ability to actually create open teammates because he collapses defenses so often?

4. fchowd0311

Kobe as a young player had a negative DBPM and positive OBPM. So he was more given it on offense than defense really in his early career.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen is off to a nice start, he may or may not get to Superstar the odds are against any of our players getting there TBH.

Jalen's poor handles, his absent left hand and his inability to change speeds and change directions need to be cleaned up first.

ATM - he has a chance, let's just enjoy the ride for all of them.

DD

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

That was one game. If someone shot that poorly for the course of a season or two they'd be out of the league.

Harden was an insanely efficient scorer during his peak years and debatably the best the NBA had ever seen. His FT rate was just mind boggling. Those years in Houston were special.

Again, I'm not saying Jalen Green will be Jordan, Harden or any other historically great offensive player. I'm just saying not just anyone could average high PPG #s for seasons at a time just by shooting more.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sure the odds are way against any player on any team reaching superstar level. I would say Amen has the best chance. I think he and Scoot will both get there, but superstardom is really hard to achieve.

BaselineFade and DaDakota like this.
  8. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

There you go. Turn those 2-3 awful triple clutches a game into assists and play defense and that is how Jalen becomes all NBA. I would love to see that. But, as I tell my wife, "Don't ask me how that dress make's your a$$ look" if you don't want the straight, 150 proof answer. The problem with Jalen is that he has developed such poor basketball habits over his first two years that it is tough to see that all NBA upside without seeing the improvement on the court for at least 15-20 games. I expect all the players will look better this year than the last two and better than the player projections that 538 publishes each year.

9. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

You are correct. Whenever I look at Kobe's advanced stats, I always wonder how he cropped into the GOAT discussion. All-NBA for a number of years for sure, but comparing him to Jordan, Lebron, Magic, or Kareem is ludicrous. I wouldn't mind seeing Jalen rise to Kobe's level on offense and defense though... that is above what I expect now.

Edited to add.... but he never had a negative WAR or VORP season - even at age 18.

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Voted for Amen but Jalen's a close second.
    Jalen's game will explode even further if can improve his handle but I'm not sure if anyone's ever told him to prioritize it in the offfseason/practice or not so I'm not sure if it will happen anytime soon.

Funniest thing is looking at the poll though.

Amen ahead with 46.3% (68 votes)
    Jalen 2nd with 36.7% (54 votes)
    Jabari 3rd with 27.9% (41 votes) and
    Alpe 4th with 23.1% (34 votes)

That's 134% on just the top 4 choices alone!

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

GSW methodology:
    Bari : Bench player
    Tari: Bench player
    Sengun: starter/bench based on match-up
    Green: waived
    KPG: 6th man occasional role
    Amen: major role
    others, TBD

BaselineFade and HardenReturns like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

c’mon not every second banana on a ‘ship team is a superstar. If that was the criterion, then Middleton is a Superstar, too. Kyle Lowry?
    Also funny you have issue with my comment on Kyrie, but no issue with Murray?

kspires999 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Kyrie definitely was a lot more important to his championship run than Middleton and Lowry.

You didn't watch the finals did you? Kyrie was often tasked to be the primary scorer especially in tight game situations.

Kyrie definitely had years where you could label him a superstar. He is a superstar level talent easily.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on what you're talking about, could most NBA players score 20+ efficiently if you let them shoot as much as they want? No.

Could just about any NBA player score 20+ if you let them shoot as much as they want with no regard to efficiency at all? Yes, most could... but being a Jerry Stackhouse or Jalen Green on offense is going to kill your team that's why most coaches won't allow it.

invocux, fattz and kspires999 like this.
  15. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

None of the above. The correct answer of coarse is Fred VanVleet

NewAge and BaselineFade like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Curry is clearly a Superstar, he is just not the Superstar people imagine, the so called Do Everything type, does not have the best stats other than 3 pointer and overall shooting percentages.

Also not physically imposing or very gifted athletically.

Dobbizzle and BaselineFade like this.
  17. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Stop! You're speaking actual basketball knowledge and some people here are allergic to it.

18. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I am excited about the Rockets team and how Ime will mesh all the talent together on both ends of the court. Amen’s summer league debut was tantilizing and Tari & Baris growth from year one to year two was evident. I am rooting for all the players and looking forward to good, efficient basketball that is fun to watch.

Rustyrig, Dobbizzle and BaselineFade like this.
  19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

As a #1 Guntarian I voted for Sengun and Tari, no surprise.

JGreen,Bari and Amen will be superstar also. Rockets will create a new description: Big-5

20. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Those who voted for Amen:
    How can you tell after just a couple of summer league games?

Dobbizzle likes this.