1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Jul 12, 2023.

?

Who has the best chance of becoming a Superstar?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2023.
  1. Jabari

85 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Tari

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Green

112 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. KPJ

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Sengun

83 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Amen

135 vote(s)
    41.9%
  7. Whitmore

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No one. This young core sux.

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All I said is that I don't think it's likely and I spelled out what each of them would have to overcome.

Will Amen learn to shoot? No clue.

Will Sengun learn to shoot the 3 and overcome his physical shortcomings? Don't know.

Will Jalen eventually learn how to shoot, fix his handle, learn to efficiently create for himself and others, and learn how to play even a little defense? Maybe?

Will KPJ improve his defense and get over some of the maturity issues?

None of these things are a given and just because there's a lot of them doesn't mean any of them will.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm not saying Green is anywhere near LeBron's level, that would be ridiculous. What I'm saying is that your statement that "all of these guys looked amazing right out of the gate as rookies" doesn't hold up when Green really isn't far off some HOFers in terms of their rookie performance. Green's obviously not as far one as some of those guys where, partially through lesser talent, partially through stunted development, but to flat out proclaim he doesn't have the raw attributes that can one day become a top 10 player is almost as ridiculous as saying he's the next LeBron.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So Kyrie contributed nothing to the championship he won? Because he is a champion. I get that you dont like him but you gotta give props when they are due.

Ancient Moabite and BaselineFade like this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Current rankings fir me as far as most likely to emerge as top 10 player.

1. Jabari
    2. Amen
    3. Green
    4. Sengun
    5. Porter
    6. Cam

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Which HOF's EXACTLY?

DD

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

your fandom is magnificent

giphy.gif

Salvy likes this.
  7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

The point I want to emphasize is this... Basketball is more than scoring the ball... it is a big part of the equation, but not even half of the total. You compare Jalen to the all time great's first seasons as a scorer, but ignore the play making, rebounding, and defense. It is a rhetorical slight of hand to ignore my arguments about defense or playmaking and just keep banging on the "Those guys were also inefficient scorers their first year or two, so Jalen's upside is just like theirs' (LeBron's/Kobe's, Luka's)." Jalen has looked like a scorer and that's it. I expect he will be a valuable player, but the whole point of this thread is to argue if we have any first team all-NBA upside players on the roster. I like the discussion because it helps frame what may be an even more difficult decision for the organization - who out of the 7 players do we keep when they all want the max or near max over the next 1-3 years.

charlieaustin and BaselineFade like this.
  8. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

The point I want to emphasize is this... Basketball is more than scoring the ball... it is a big part of the equation, but not even half of the total. You compare Jalen to the all time great's first seasons as a scorer, but ignore the play making, rebounding, and defense. It is a rhetorical slight of hand to ignore my arguments about defense or playmaking and just keep banging on the "Those guys were also inefficient scorers their first year or two, so Jalen's upside is just like theirs' (LeBron's/Kobe's, Luka's)." Jalen has looked like a scorer and that's it. I expect he will be a valuable player, but the whole point of this thread is to argue if we have any first team all-NBA upside players on the roster. I like the discussion because it helps frame what may be an even more difficult decision for the organization - who out of the 7 players do we keep when they all want the max or near max over the next 1-3 years.
    Jordan, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe, Jokic, Lebron, Durant

HardenReturns likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm just saying what everybody is thinking...

HardenReturns and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you have an uncanny understanding of the zeitgeist

11. marinara

marinara Member

Jalen still got the edge, the athleticism is something you can't teach.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

You think we have seen Sengun at full power? I'm thinking 60% max of what he is capable of...

fattz, Ankara1923 and HardenReturns like this.
  13. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

I figured out you don't believe it, so I tried to make up an example of inefficient shooting.
    Players sometimes average high ppg thanks to ft's, our very own James Harden being one of them.

14. marinara

marinara Member

Kevin Martin would have been a better example but he was very efficient from 3

TheJet and HardenReturns like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

All of them had WAY better Rookie stats than Jalen Green he isn't even close to their production, especially if you count WINNING in there as a statistic

Kobe would be the only comparison in your list.

DD......

16. TheJet

TheJet Member

I wasn't intending to compare Green directly to Jordan. Iverson and Kobe were also common targets for the volume shooter vs chucker debates.

It was more to debunk the "anyone can do it" cliche I've been hearing for 35 years.

Ancient Moabite and DaDakota like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I can't even imagine him at that level

Salvy likes this.
  18. Qan

Qan Member

Right right...what was Durant's team records his first 2 years?

majicdonjuan and Ancient Moabite like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That would be a talent. Players who can't break down defenses don't get to the line a lot. Harden can break down defenses a lot in his prime. Green can break down defenses also.

HardenReturns likes this.
  20. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

And I did already admit in a reply that Kobe was the GOAT of inefficient chuckers! But, Kobe always brought the D, so his advanced stats always looked good.

HardenReturns and DaDakota like this.