1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Jul 12, 2023.

?

Who has the best chance of becoming a Superstar?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2023.
  1. Jabari

85 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Tari

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Green

112 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. KPJ

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Sengun

83 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Amen

135 vote(s)
    41.9%
  7. Whitmore

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No one. This young core sux.

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jokic and Embiid are the most boring superstars I have seen. Embiid scores 70 and I am napping.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Before my time, but Moses was one back in the day

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, just reiterating those I happen to witness.

OremLK likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I go by the ability to contribute heavily on both ends. The block that Amen had in the game against Utah stands out, plays like that tend to catch eyes.

If a player can play like that CONSISTENTLY it puts you in Superstar status.

In order;

1) Jabari - has offense and defense
    2) Amen - has Wow ability, needs experience
    3A) Green - need to figure it out
    3B) Sengun - needs a mid range and a 3pt shot

vince and Losmi_34 like this.
  5. MystikArkitect

In his first NBA start as a rookie Amen had a 15/14/5 stat line. That is bonkers and by far the most impressive debut for any of our young guys in their first NBA start. The Amen/Sengun two man game is our future. It can't be understated how problematic Amen is on both sides of the ball for opposing defenses. If he ever develops a shot he will be a Top 5 player in the league and basically better Luka. It's just so damn busted lol.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It was impressive and his shot needs WORK but I don't know how effective a two man game will be between Amen and Sengun, because both are facilitators, one has to be a shooter/score, correct?

I can see Amen and Jabari but I could be wrong.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Amen had multiple feeds to Alpe diving through the lane. Several set ups for Alpe to get that shot put off, which is a pretty money shot for him. One Alpe fed it back to him for a dunk/and 1. It'll work because they're both smart and unselfish. When Amen gets comfortable and starts knocking down the middy too that 2 man game will be ruthlessly effective.

burlesk likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would bet on Alpi developing a passable wide-open 3P shot and his "flamingo" into an efficient (>50%) midrange shot. He clearly has a greenlight and so far doesn't seem afraid of taking them. They'll get there eventually. So that helps.

It's harder to say with Amen--he's got such a long way to go and it's so early yet. But as a point guard, he will obviously need to develop something. Even if it's just a pull-up midrange shot. If he doesn't figure out his shooting, he probably remains as a defense-first bench player. If he does, he could become a superstar.

burlesk and Strawberry Gum like this.
  9. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Good points on what guys/have need, and the list is realistic, except Sengun, because IMO he should be at the top of it.

Sengun is #1 right now. What good does potential do, if you don't have the mentality to fulfill it?
    Yes, other guys can potentially become superstars, but he's the only one who has shown he can be the #1 guy on a team. He's our most reliable scorer and closer. He's solid on D and contributes in all other areas. He's a fan favourite and obviously has an international following. He's a fun player to watch and root for. And those are pretty big factors for ascending to superstardom.

The rest of the rank is spot on. Jabari, as he gains more experience and muscle, will become our defensive anchor. Amen is already showing insane potential, but I'm not sure how his shot is going to progress.

When this thread started I voted for Jalen. Boy was I wrong...Aside from that first Lakers game, he looks totally lost. I'm losing faith in him turning it around. Right now I would put even Tari ahead of him.

tagedieb and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My ONLY issue with that is you're playing 80's style ball, you're playing for 2's and not 3's. I look at a team like Indy, they play for 3's and it shows.

Thats why I say Sengun needs a Mid range and a 3pt shot. Imagine if the court was spread, the lanes were open for Amen? Wow! Passing the ball down crowds the lane.

I think thats what is affecting Jalen. There are fewer lanes for him to drive than before. He could get into a flow/ a rhythm. His first two yrs he looked promising, now he looks like a different player.

#290 hlmbasketball, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen, Alperen, and Cam all have superstar POTENTIAL (we'll see what happens). Jabari has a very high floor. I'm guessing he makes several All Star games (putting up 23 & 11) while leading our D...

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. I also include Jabari. People b****ing about this rebuild are being impatient.

Plowman likes this.