1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

superstars can consistently create his own shots. kmart is a great offensive player in his own right, but nobody in their right mind would consider him a superstar, despite his great stats right now.

plus he has zero all-around game.

melo can rebound, and plays defense when calls upon.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really like Martin and I think he is a star player. He is in the tier that is below the tier of an AI (which is below the tier or someone like a Dwade)

I would like to see him try to be more assertive in pulling up for 10-12 footers to get his own shot. He has a few moves to generate a basket but is not on the level of Carmelo.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There needs to be some clarification here because people are mixing up the language. Let me help.

There are two models. Usually a person is one of each.

Caliber of Player:
    1.) Bench Warmer - guy who rarely sees the floor, practice player, etc.
    2.) Player - run of the mill average NBA player. Usually a role player.
    3.) Star - players who exceed at thier role on team and provide a ton of production at the position. All star or all star caliber.
    4.) Superstar - a player at the top of his position. Can provide something very few others can.

Purpose on the team:
    1.) Role Player - a person who fills a certain role on the team that suppliments the overall team concept or franchise player.
    2.) Franchise Player - usually a sole, sometimes duo, whose unique skill sets out the blueprint for how the team functions.

Chris Bosh (Tor) - Star franchise player
    Chris Bosh (Mia) - Star role player
    Kevin Martin - Star roleplayer
    Jason Kidd (NJ) - Superstar franchise player
    Jason Kidd (Dallas) - Star roleplayer
    Steve Nash - Superstar franchise player
    Chuck Hayes - Role player
    Tracy McGrady (Hou) - Superstar franchise player
    Tracy McGrady (Det) - role player

Players role on the team can change when they switch teams and thier caliber can as well as they get older and thier skills decline.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Isn't Martin's off the ball movement and shot making ability critical to the success of the Rockets' offense? There are only a handful of players in the league who can do what he does in that respect. And if you factor in his ability to draw fouls, there's no other player like him.

By your definitions, if you consider Martin to be a role player, then you must also consider Reggie Miller to be one as well. Is this true?

5. YaoMingsSoulja

Kevin martin fools gold kevin martin superstar man you guys forget easily

6. t_mac1

reggie miller was not considered a superstar in his time. he was an all-star though (albeit a very clutch one). his clutchness earned him an extra 2-3 levels of respect.

kevin martin is an all-star (his offense speaks for himself) but his lack of clutchness hurts him. if you're not an all-around player, you better be great at what you do and in the clutch if you want respect.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I was responding to the notion that Kevin Martin is merely a "role player".

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Nah you're just smarter than the average NBA fan who has no idea how to win games and actually thinks that points in the last few minutes are literally more important than points in the very first possession of the game.

It's a good thing none of these guys are coaches or anything, their teams would be awful lol. "Guys, we can relax until the final 2 minutes of the game, and then give the ball to our 'closer'."

9. ashishduh

By the way, there's no point in defining role player or franchise player.

Detroit Pistons.

10. t_mac1

he's not technically, so you're right about that. but it's understandable for fans to categorized him as a "glorified" role player.

on a great team, he's at best a 3rd option or even 4th. the reason we aren't winning with him as our 1st or 2nd best player right now is b/c he doesn't contribute ANYTHING outside of scoring the ball. NOTHING. for a guy his size, he should rebound more (despite his frail frame). how do you average 3 rebounds at 6'7? that's ridiculous.

and he should play better defense for a guy his size and quickness. the only problem he should have is when guys post him up.

11. ashishduh

So was Rip Hamilton at best a 3rd or 4th option on a "great" team?

12. t_mac1

there was no option on that pistons' team. there was really no pecking order really if you watched them. although billups was widely considered their best player, any day either billups, rip, prince, or wallace can get plays run for them.

so yes, on a great team with a pecking order, rip hamilton would be at best a 3rd or 4th option.

also, rip hamilton plays defense mind you. much better defense than kmart.

again, i don't want to nitpick stats here. kmart doesn't even average a steal for a guy who not only doesn't play "decent" man defense. you would assume he plays the passing lanes instead. but he doesn't even do that.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I don't see your logic. His frail frame is what precludes him from getting more rebounds. Height is useless without strength. For instance, Manute Bol was 7'6 and he had a few seasons where he averaged between 3-4 rpg while playing between 15-16 mpg.

Btw, Reggie Miller averaged 3 rpg.

14. t_mac1

like i said, that's why reggie miller wasn't considered a superstar in his era despite all that clutchness. if he wasn't clutch, his reputation would have been like kmart most likely (if not less b/c martin is a more efficient offensive player).

but reggie was so ridiculously clutch that the respect level increases 10fold. i think you missed that point that i brought up earlier.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

You act like the people that are closers don't show up the rest of the game. Your comment makes no sense at all.

Give me a guy that shows up the 1st 3 and a half quarters of a game and shows up at the end.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I was responding to your point about rebounding.

17. t_mac1

tj ford averages 2.2 rebounds in 21 minutes. and he's a freakin' midget.
    tony parker averages 3.2 rebounds at 6'2 with the same size.
    rondo is 6'1, 171 lbs and he goes against the big boys all the time to rebound and he averages 5.

and i can go on.

not every rebound has to be fought against a big man.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You need to play to a player's strength. Martin is great at getting transition baskets. If you want him to stay back on defense and try to get more defensive rebounds, then the Rockets' transition offense will suffer.

19. t_mac1

and that's why we're losing despite scoring all those points.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Martin's rebounding deficiencies are not the reason we're losing games.

Are you stupid or something?