1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

At the end of a game who would you rather have Melo or Martin?

2. Mr. Space City

Melo has led his team to the post season 7 times (1 time to the WCF) while averaging 25/7/3

K-Mart has only been to the playoffs 1 time and he was a role player

3. blunto

blunto Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

In addition to scoring the ball, I'd argue that his other major role is to put the other team in the penalty.

As far as "taking the last shot," that's what we have Brooks for. Are there better out there? Sure. But AB is quietly developing the skills for this "role." AB can create his own shot that has a good chance of going in regardless of if the refs choke on their whistles that night or not.

Biggest difference between Martin and Melo is not in Xs and Os. Though we can only see so much from outside of the organization looking in, KM doesn't strike me as a leader. I mean being an emotional leader on the floor, in practice, in the locker room, on the planes, etc. He doesn't define the team's identity. He doesn't exude killer instinct, and he's not that cool; don't see the swag. He doesn't have big enough of an ego, and that actually carries a lot of weight in pro sports.

Kevin Martin should never be burdened with being the face of the franchise. Let him carry the team's scoring when they are in a slump and build a lead before crunch time hits. His contract doesn't suggest he should be more than what he is, so people should just chill.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How was Melo at scoring the ball late the other night against the Spurs?

Manu says hello !

DD

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And Bonzi Wells carried them that series.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Way to bring up one play. Melo actually made the basket and the refs bailed out the Spurs with a charge call.

I guess if that was Martin instead of Melo both Martin and Ginobli would have tried to flop their way to a call.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

obviously that's melo. But who would you rather have quarter 1-3?

Kevin Martin is our best player. Maybe that says something about our team now but he is our best. Martin is a meat and potatoes kind player and gets the points that are needed and help keep a team in the game.

The problem issue is you can't really rely on him to have to score 3 or 4 poss in a row when it's tied late, like anthony can. It's a matter of point distribution and I would guess that Melo has good 4th quarter, end of game, 'game is close' scoring. Those kinds of things make melo the overall better. So the argument is safe that 'melo is the better player' but kevin martin is damn useful.

We have to keep Martin at all costs at this point and try to find someone in the post that can be relied on to take some double teams better than scola. A karl malone type .. (there's this tall asian guy that I heard about that would have solved this all) someone big hopefully bruising but still offensive threat. I keep going back to Marc Gasol only because he is a big dude and has some skill. I think Bogut is too face the basket and evem Dwight howard for that matter. I want more of a guy that's back to the basket. Yeah I know those kind of guys don't grow on trees. Just maybe a Dampier in his prime, on a good day, kind of big guy.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I'd rather have Melo. It doesn't matter 1-3 since basketball is a 4 qt game.

I will agree that trading Martin is not necessarily the answer. It really depends on the direction the team is planning to go as to whether we should keep him or not.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But Melo is a closer, of course closers know better than to charge, right?

Melo is overated...he is not a superstar.......and his closing is overated.

As I said in the summer you get roughly the same production out of Kmart for half the price.....

Doesn't mean we don't need better players, just means Melo is overated.

DD

10. Mr. Space City

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m7khzaiX8VM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m7khzaiX8VM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Refs made a bad call. Just because he charged on that one play doesn't mean he's not a closer. The refs bailed out Ginobli. That is why I hate the charge call. There was nothing Melo could do in that situation.

Melo getting called for a charge is no different than LeBron or Kobe missing a game winning shot to close the game. 1 failed play doesn't mean Melo is not a closer.

12. conquistador#11

At the beginning of the season, I said that if Kmart had a wife with bigger boobs and a twitter account, he would get more praise around here. With the offensive system that is used here, the man with the open shot becomes your go to guy. In the games we've been outmatched.. it has been because chuck hayes was guarding a bogut. No rebounds.
    If lowry makes a freebie against chicago, would people be saying that the bulls need a closer?

It's too bad that lowry and brooks haven't been healthy at the same time this season. The record would be 8 games over .500

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i'm also excited about a lowry brooks duo. The problem is that we have martin who is a great scoring threat as well. How tall were ' run tmc' ?

Dont you like a lowry brooks combo better than a mobley franchise(at prime) combo? Who would you take?? It's not an easy choice so that means we are set at that position right since mobley and franchise were pretty decent right?

I guess it's not that easy because there is this pesky thing called defense.. and only lowry plays any defense out of the 3 -martin brooks lowry.

So we have to play lowry with each one and sit one while the other is playing? almost making martin a sub for brooks back and forth .. tid bits of the 3? Cause we cant have lee playing pf! It's just a weird team and doesn't make a lot of defensive sense. That's why unfortunately one of the 2 has to go.. martin or brooks? spin the wheel face the deal

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

pshht, you change your own tune, Ive been a supporter of Martin since the day we traded for him.. theres room a lil more room on the bandwagon though

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

ummm... i thought it was pretty obvious what he said unless english isn't your 1st language :confused:

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

the guy with the higher field goal percentage...

17. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

martin is all star, not a superstar.

cant close games, his game relies on the refs and refs tend to swallow the whistle in crunch time.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

very well said agree 100%

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

well martin did close out this game.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVeS0kVXxtc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVeS0kVXxtc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

too bad it was not for our team. :mad:

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Bingo! Martin would play the Ray Allen role on this squad with a big three. The same Ray Allen that averaged 26ppg (i think) before he was traded. To be championship material Martin must be your 3rd best player period. If he's your best player your in the lottery.