1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mrjuandiego1988

role players dont put up his numbers. no matter how u want to see it! he is special!!!

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nope not a super star. He's pretty scorer that can draw fouls but that's about it. He's too skinny to defend and rebound, but if he bulks up he will be too slow to be good on offence.

he fits playing with a big man that can draw doubles so he can slash and hit open jumpers and cherry pick for easy layups

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kobe's FG% looks low because he takes a lot of 3 pointers, while Melo's FG% looks better because he shoots a lot from the paint and doesn't take as much 3 pointers, boosting his FG% by dunks and layups. However since a 3 pt is 30% better than a dunk or layup, even if they shoot the same % Kobe Bryant is actually helping his team more. When you start taking 3 pts (and freethrows, which Kobe makes at a higher clip than Melo), you see this stat:

Kobe's career TS%: 0.557% (career high of 0.580%)
    Melo's career TS%: 0.543% (career high of 0.568%)

That 1.3% seems really small but the truth is a player 1.3% better than you will pwn your ass 100% of the time 1 on 1. Since Kobe and Melo both make the same money Denver (or whoever signs Melo) will always be at a disadvantage and will have to have better role players than what Kobe has to keep up. Keep in my mind this doesn't even take into account intangibles like leadership and defense, both of which I suspect Kobe has a lot more than Melo.

OTH take a look at Martin's efficiency: 0.601% (career 0.631% ironically this season yowza!!!!).

Does this mean KM is a superstar? Not really, however it also shows KM is an unholy scorer, so much so that it doesn't matter if his D, passing and rebounding is subpar. He's only making half of what Melo does, you can use that savings you get from him and put it on other guys.

Remember, statistics are recordings of what actually happened, they aren't made up. If a guy scores 0.631% of the time all the time, is he really a choke artist? :confused:

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's because it is small, essentially what you are saying is this.

If you had a dice with 101.3 sides, and I have a dice with 100 sides, every time we roll, you will win every single time (yes this really is what you are saying that he will win "100% of the time"....)

then of course after making a song and a dance about the team quality surrounding them...whereas kobe has spent 3/4 of his career with a better cast than melo has ever had.

As for defending carmelo, pack the paint....yeah that's the thing, martin's greatest strength is scoring when the defense isnt on him, can you imagine what he could do with someone whose opposition tactic is "pack the paint", other than the celtics, i can't think of a team that can adequately pack the paint and guard the perimeter.

5. Happii

Happii Member

Do you even know what "role player" means?

6. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

melo is def the better closer, although now that martin is starting to play some D, ive become more content with him. Having brooks back should help us close out the 4th.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

DING DING DING

We have a winner.

8. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Kevin Martin isn't a role player no more than Reggie Millie or Ray Allen where. He is far too talented a scorer to be considered a "role player." Players like Courntey Lee, Chase Budinger, and Shane are role players. Kevin, AB, Scola, and now Lowry are a bit above that grade.

9. Prince

Prince Member

Martin has been playing pretty impressive no doubt about it.

But Melo is not playing motivated this season.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because of this alone, he is at best a third option on a ring contender.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's a one trick pony. Did people consider Rip Hamilton a superstar during Detroit's championships season? No, but he had a great point guard and amazing defensive team around him.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, there seems to be a lot of Shaq/Duncan haters here. I wouldn't mind having either in their prime as the Rockets "best player" personally. Even though neither's touching the ball during clutch time.

But then again, I believe that ~45-48 minutes of "non-clutch time" each game is more important than an occasional games where the last 2-3 minutes actually matter.

I know this idea seems crazy and all that. But I guess I'm a bit of a crazy guy. :)

13. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Kmart is no superstar, but he's well above a role player. His only problem besides the fact that he plays little defense is that we need a superstar. We as fans expect him to be something hes not and then act like its his fault.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah that's great when you're playing a bad team. If he was doing that every night you would have a point.

15. gah

gah Member

That is exactly what we need him to be in our team, I think he'll be fine in the playoffs, he hasn't been tested there, but I think you can expect him to produce in the same manner he does in the regular season. Just don't count on him to wear the "it's on me" badge.

Duncan is a clutch player; in his days you could count Shaq as well, just don’t give him the ball when they tried hack a Shaq, even then he happened to make some critical free throws throughout his career.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think that's a decent comparison. Considering Martin is a far superior scorer but Rip is better at creating, rebounding, and much better defensively. I don't think anyone would make a big deal about Martin being awful at everything other than scoring if he were making 6.5M like Rip did the year they won their championship.

17. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I agree with most of your assessment, but the only way to really know this is to see him perform in a 7 game series. Matchups play themselves out over the course of a series, and by the end of it, you can tell who can be stopped by "adjustments" and who has the ability to play their game against the best.

This is why we need to stop talking about trading Brooks. Right now, he is the guy that can score on the best teams in the league in the last 2 minutes of game 7. He proved this in the Lakers series a few years ago.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

As I said in the summer, Melo is NOT a superstar.......

Neither is Kevin Martin, they are a tier below...

DD

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They shouldn't make a big deal out of what he's doing at 10 mil. He's well worth it.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Exactly. All this clamor over Melo and he is not the superstar he is blown up to be. Calling a chucker a closer is really reaching.