1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He doesn't have to finish, he scores 30 pts in the first half and the game's on cruise control for the rest of the night. That's what efficiency is all about.

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Right on! Except he averages about 23.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually think that will go up to about 26-27 ppg. before the seasons over. Will that qualify him? Maybe it's just as easy as resting him more in the 1st half of games, allowing him to have the energy to last throughout out the 2nd?

4. ashishduh

Yeah he gets tired from all the scoring he does early in the game. It's hard being one of the best scorers in the league for all four quarters, you have to be fresh in the 4th to be able to do that.

It's easier to be a worse scorer for most of the game and then hit a few shots in the 4th quarter and be called a hero, even though you contributed less than a good scorer would have.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

No that still won't make him a superstar, lets forget that he is normally non-existent on the defensive end, K-Mart plays off the ball, doesn't look comfortable or score consistently during crunch time and you cannot give him the ball and tell him to score the ball. Guys like Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo etc are all capable of doing those things, they are the superstars. (And this is just on the offensive end)

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Come on, do you really believe what you are typing? One of the main reasons we always lose games is because we have no one (healthy) who can close out games and the other team always goes on a scoring run.

Guys who can score down the stretch are crucial, watching the Chicago game today, even though they lost, they were down by double digits until Derrick Rose sank jumper after jumper and finished a 3 point play during crunch time and they were back in the game.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Absolutely you can. He'll just get fouled in the process. :grin:

8. ashishduh

You are correct that this is "just on the offensive end" because Anthony is notoriously terrible on defense.

And anyway, like I said, Martin doesn't put his team in spots that you're referring to as often as Anthony does. He likes to put the games away early.

9. Spankie

Spankie Member

Bro, Martin is actually a decent off ball defender. Its just when he plays 1 on 1 defence and gets muscled past that he fails.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You skip 3 HUGE factors

1) Melo plays 4 quarters a game, Martin only plays 3

2) Melo plays defense (in fact great defense at times), Martin does not

3) Most importantly......WINS vs. LOSSES

11. Raven

Raven Member

Correct, superstars impose their will on the game. They dominate.

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Hence why Martin is always on losing teams right?

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Adelmans Kings?? :confused:

14. ashishduh

Look, I'm not talking about Rose or James or Paul or Kobe here. I'm talking about Anthony. The guy who shot 14% from 3 and 40% from the field during crunch time last year. I don't really care that he can jack up more shots down the stretch than Martin and have some of them fall and decide games, those numbers don't indicate clutch performer to me.

And the main reason we lose games is because we have no big man who can defend the paint, everyone knows this.

15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

So the only time Kevin was on a winning team was when he was the 9/10th player off the bench, that doesn't add any strength to your argument.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still, he was on the team. ;) Besides, just think about when Brooks comes back off the bench. This team will be a "winning" team.

17. ashishduh

Anthony's teams:
    04 - Lost 4-1 in first round
    05 - Lost 4-1 in first round
    06 - Lost 4-1 in first round (to Clippers, OUCH)
    07 - Lost 4-1 in first round
    08 - Lost 4-0 in first round
    09 - Made it to Conf finals, lost 4-2
    10 - Lost 4-2 in first round

Yeah, he's quite the winner. Quite clutch come playoff time too, might I add.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Look I don't feel like continuing this, I wish K-Mart was a superstar, I wish he was better than Anthony, I wish he can lead us to the playoffs and the championship.

Too bad he is not a superstar nor is he better than Anthony, any unbiased person could see that.

19. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

No, just no.

Kevin Martin is one of the worst defending, worst rebounding, worst at creating for himself and others, starting SGs in the league. In other words, he's completely and utterly deficient at every single aspect of the game other than scoring.

Melo is a second tier superstar now but he's still a cut above Martin because he rebounds, can create and hit contested shots, and can defend a bit if he's in the mood. He's not good enough to carry a team anymore and needs to be put with a couple of other pretty good players.

The plan was never to get Melo and build around him, it was to make a lineup along the lines of Lowry/Martin/Melo/Scola/Yao. A team built around Martin would be a complete joke. Nobody talks about "building around" Scola, yet he's a better overall player than Martin.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yeah compare that to Martin, 1 playoff series (loss) in his career when he came off the bench.