1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SuperBowl 'World Champions'?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jan 28, 2003.

1. dimsie

dimsie Member

Lomu is officially a badass in anyone's language. Don't dismiss him so quickly. I've seen him keep running with the ball with five huge guys hanging off him, and he's incredibly fast.

Besides, he's from New Zealand, so he must rock. :)

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

OK I saw this topic and saw rugby get drawn in and I knew there'd be a "(X) is better than (Y)!" sooner or later.

In college, I played both rugby and football in Virginia (Division III). Both were very competitive, with both sports very well represented in the region. Although neither had the super genetic athletes seen on Saturdays and Sunday, we had our fair share of people who could play.

In my mind, both sports require different athletic abilities. Rugby is more of a conditioning sport, involving constant movement. Although that in and of itself is not QUITE true, since there are breaks (short, but breaks) involved with setup for penalties, scrums, and lineouts. Football is more of a strength game, with contact being more of an overriding factor. But again, this isn't quite true since you see DB's going up against WR's that involve running up and down the field all day. But, you're talking to a 6'1", 275 pound Def. lineman, so I always had more physicality than endurance. So, for guys who think rugby players are toughter, try putting on the pads and get pounded on by an offensive lineman or run over by a linebacker going full speed and see what it feels like. For football guys, put on the shorts and shirt and try running for 80 minutes. Myself, I had fun playing both and still play semipro football.

BTW- for SRJ and dimsie, Jevon Kearse is about 6'4" 270 lbs and run the 40 in 4.5. I'm not saying he's tougher than Lomu, but you might want to reconsider him being able to "dominate" the NFL. As for the Aussie who said it wasn't too tough in the NFL, I'd like to point out he was a punter. Not exactly a contact position.

As to the original topic, I personally feel American football can be regarded as a worldwide sport. Leagues are springing up around the globe, and people are playing in greater and greater numbers. If one of those teams feel like they can take the Bucs, Raiders, or even Bengals have them call the NFL I'm sure an international exhibition would be fun and good publicity for the league.

3. Timing

Timing Member

You sound silly dude. Tampa Bay isn't the "world champion" because there are "tougher, faster, more skillful" players out there who don't even play the same sport. Errr... yeah. American athletes are the best in the world so just thank your lucky stars that soccer and rugby aren't the primary sports in America.

4. ScreamingRocketJet

The point is mate...why call themselves world champions.

We don't.

No one else in the world does.

It's beyond arrogant.

And if you read the thread, guys said "hey we can, because even if other countries played...we'd still be the best".

No you wouldn't.

For the guys curious about Lomu...compare this to Jerry Rice or Terrel Owens.

No defender in the NFL would have stopped this guy. It would have taken a minimun of four at a time.

Imagine the space that would have freed up for the other recievers.

No helmets or pads here Jerry

[​IMG] :D

5. ScreamingRocketJet

Excellent post:)

6. ScreamingRocketJet

I am Australian...and even I agree!

That's how good Lomu is :eek:

I thought this was a cool pic...even though it slams us.

Can't imagine too many NFL guys doing this without their pads and helmets and a note from their Mum saying it's okay to get dirty

:D

http://www.nzallblacks.net/downloads-image.asp?image=abruck3a

7. ScreamingRocketJet

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Ok, this thread is getting silly.

First, SRJ - you have exactly no place to call anyone arrogant on this subject, that's ridiculous when you consider your statements on Rugby vs Football, in this very thread.

As for "World Champions" - they are. There are no better football teams in the world.

Yeah, we would. The best salary for football players is in the NFL. If another league formed up, they would simply act as a farm system for the US, the way the European leagues act now for basketball, because we can offer the best salary and competition.

Frankly, I think y'all are just pissed you didn't think of this method of self-aggrandizement first.

9. ScreamingRocketJet

LOL

Nice response :)

Possibly it's that simple. It's definitely an American thing though.

10. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

First, thank SRJ, always nice to get an "excellent" from another poster. Second, I love seeing Lomu in action. Dude is a hoss on the rugby field. I tried to watch rugby whenever it was on FSSW and watching NZ, Australia, or South Africa was always entertaining, especially the hakka :D . Again, however, Lomu is big, yes, but not terribly bigger or faster than many tight ends, linebackers, or even some fullbacks in the NFL. And this "pads" discussion is somewhat specious. Rugby doesn't allow for the padding that the NFL does, period. I'm sure that given the opportunity many ruggers would love to be surrounded in padding that would possibly help prevent serious injury and lengthen careers.

Now, the NFL is still the greatest American rules football league in the world. Ask any international (using the term as an American, of course) football player if all things being equal they'd like to play in the NFL, and I'd be willing to bet that almost 100% would jump at the chance. So, I'd be willing to term the NFL champion as the "World" champ until someone proves differently. Just IMHO, of course :p .

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

Your "no helmets and pads" argument is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The reason helmets and pads are worn in the NFL, and in American football, is because if they didn't, players would die or be paralyzed all the time. Why? Because the players are all super fast, and super strong, and super big, and are just plain mean.

The reason helmets and pads aren't worn in aussie football, is that the players aren't athletic enough to hurt each other in a fatal manner.

You are r****ded if you don't think Terrel Owens can't drag 5 australian or New Zealand guys around on his back for 300 yards. That's without helmets or pads SRJ.

And yes, the verdict is in. Warren Sapp could singlehandedly blow up your 5 biggest players on the line of scrimmage.

The best part, SRJ, is that you overlooked the major part of what I said about football. The complexity. It is an extremely complex and technical sport.

Unlike your football...

Also - Dimsie- If you don't like how we like to remember "that we exist", as you so eloquently put it, then you can deal with it! We are Americans, we are the best, and we're damn proud of it!!!!!!

You're ******* right we're arrogant.

12. ScreamingRocketJet

FUNNIEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Then again, he's an american jock...so I guess he's used to having five guys on his back :D

Mate...trust me...it wouldn't happen. He couldn't carry one front rower. He'd be smashed.

A guy who sooks when a plays not called for him...cries like a girl...carrying five aussies on his back...HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA:D :D :D

Son...would not, could not, will not happen.

13. dimsie

dimsie Member

What a f*cking stupid thing to say. From the responses in this thread it's obvious that none of you actually know *anything* about sports elsewhere, but somehow you think you know which country has a monopoly on the best athletes! Get informed before you start spouting this ****. It's fairly obvious that there are great athletes in lots of countries, many of whom don't need to be paid millions of dollars to excel. Actually (and I hate to say this, since they *are* our archrivals) if we're talking about per capita excellence, Australia has you lot knocked for six (cricket metaphor, look it up). 20 million people have managed to kick everyone's ass in cricket, rugby, league and a lot of Olympic sports besides; you have over ten times their population! Give them *some* credit, people!

(rocks_fan: I don't think Lomu would 'dominate' the NFL, by the way. I just think dismissing him out of hand is pretty silly - especially since *hardly any of you even know who he is*!!!)

Nomar: I really hope that someday you leave the USA. There's a big world full of durn furriners out there, and someone in it is going to kick your ass. And I will laugh when they do. :p

(Not that it should make a difference to how we evaluate the relative merits of the games, but rugby injuries are frequent and often serious. Check this link:
    http://www.allsands.com/Misc3/rugbyinjurysta_udd_gn.htm )

14. Timing

Timing Member

Are you drunk? AGAIN?

I'm pretty sure the US has won more medals in every Olympics since, I dunno, ever? Maybe you fellas should come up with some new Aussie/Kiwi games to pad your medal totals.

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

[​IMG]

CASE CLOSED

16. dimsie

dimsie Member

I said *per capita*. Learn to read, and then after that, learn to comprehend. Thus endeth the lesson.

17. Nomar

Nomar Member

Oh my christ you are conceited, and you have an inferiority complex when it comes to Americans.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

OK now not to knock other nations' choice of sports, but I can't imagine more than maybe 500 people for a cricket match in America. I exaggerate but Americans aren't the most patient of people. We don't have the patience (for the most part) to enjoy the "artistry" of sports like cricket and soccer, despite the latter's growing popularity in the US. Shoot, my dad used to hate watching baseball because he thought it was slow! Fast action and usually a lot of scoring are the order of the day for us.

I personally think rugby could be HUGE in America given the chance. However, the lack of pads that people tout as making it "tougher" guarantee that parents will not allow their kids to play it. By the time most people are exposed to it live, it's on the college club level. By then, it's too late to become a world class level rugger because it takes quite a while just to become accustomed to the speed and contact of the sport. Should we somehow establish a youth league (don't laugh, I'm sure someone could figure out how) and keep kids playing for the long haul, you wouldn't dismiss us so easily.

Of course should we someday win the rugby World Cup, how much moaning would we hear about Americans "taking over" the sport, like we started hearing during the last soccer World Cup? We show any success at a sport on the world stage, and we're regarded as the Johnny-come-latelys that don't deserve to be on the same field as the 'traditional' teams. Anyway, before I drift too far afield, I will end this ramble.

19. Timing

Timing Member

No, I said American athletes are the best in the world and you went into a vulgar blithering fool routine about cricket, rugby, and the Olympics. Um yeah, learn to read.

20. dimsie

dimsie Member

Conceited how? Because I corrected someone's misinterpretation of my words? Because I had the temerity to suggest that *many countries* have excellent athletes, not just one country?

And yeah, I have an 'inferiority complex'. That's why I married an American. That's why I've been a US citizen since birth. That's why I chose to live there for four years. That's why I'm getting a degree in *American history*. That's why... oh, never mind. This is like talking to MadMax. :)

rocks_fan is right (what a fine series of posts!). In some ways the USA wouldn't be able to win even if it *did* win. Which is a little sad, I think. As for the 'rough' aspect for kids - what about touch rugby? That might work...