1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AntiSonic, Oct 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

Seems like its almost the exact same game to me, but I've played it pretty little. Doesn't seem like they improved or changed it much (which isn't exactly a bad thing) other then online play. But then again I've only played about 2 games.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

If I had a Wii, I would probably buy this game. However, it's not a game that I would buy a Wii just to get, because it seems the online game mode(friend codes??? come on) seems pretty bad and hodgepodge. So playing alone by myself(online) won't be very enjoyable.

Since it's a multiplayer party game, and I have friends that have this game, there is no reason to get a Wii unless you need to have people at your house for some reason.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

so true. who wants to have people over and social interaction... ?;)

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Anyone play the 'solo' Subspace Emissary side-game yet? Holy cow, that's all I've been doing today. It is so well done and so much fun. If you haven't played it yet, you're missing out.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

I found that the official Smash Bros site has some good basic tips:

Link

6. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I am very, very impressed with the story mode. The amount of bosses and cutscenes that they cram in is incredible. I played through with a few friends for a while and I'm about halfway through.

7. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Went to Walmart yesterday, but I didn't find it. Apparently I was too dense to see their display in front of the electronics register when I went in again today. So that was a day I missed out on Brawl!

So far, the game's fun. I dunno about the solo campaign...it seems boring to me, but maybe I haven't played enough. I just want Sonic and Snake dammit!

8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

You have to unlock Sonic and Snake?! Weak!!! Everyone is dying to play as those two. It's not like it's a secret...

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Relax and don't start punching your TV. ;) It's typical Nintendo fare- there are always unlockable characters. If they were scrubs, what would be the motivation?

10. professorjay

professorjay Member

I happened to stumble across this:

PC World: SSB Doesn't Work On All Wii Consoles

11. LFE171

LFE171 Member

How to get snake and sonic:

Snake is easy. Just play shadow moses level 15 times. put it on one life stock and duke it out with one person. You'll get him in 20 minutes.

As for sonic...grr....still working on him. You get him after you beat the subspace emissiary.

**sorry if my spoiler tag doesnt work. I never use these! :eek: **

12. LFE171

LFE171 Member

dude. my buddy called his sam's club and they said they havent had any since it came out. which sams club are you talking about?

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Damn there's a lot to unlock. I am playing the hell out of it every chance I get to get everything. I still have to test out the stage builder.

Friend codes aren't great, and no voice chat; those are the negatives to me. Other than that, it's not as bad as you think. You can still do random matches and there are a lot of modes. Pretty simple and works well.

EDIT: I should add though, that their servers are getting hammered I think. Hopefully Nintendo will see how many people they have that want to play online and make improvements.

#93 Coach AI, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

SSE seems a tad on the overinflated side, but the cut scenes are awesome.

Bowser being backed over the cliff and then pulling a Marty McFly with his flying clown car from Super Mario World was priceless... and Pikachu John Wayning it on Ridley was badass. Pikachu and badass in the same sentence. :eek:

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My son has been playing it nonstop since it came out, except for sleep breaks. It must be pretty good!

16. wink2moochie07

off of 610 and Fannin, right next to Reliant Park.

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Almost done with the Subspace Emmisary game (according to %). The music and full-motion videos in this thing are top notch. My favorite so far:

The Subspace Entrance scene with the giant city/battleship. Freaking awesome battle. Wish it would have been longer.

18. ClutchCityReturns

I got the game last night and fired it up for a couple of hours. So far I've been underwhelmed.

I always loved the N64 version of the game because the controls felt so intuitive to me. It was like a direct connection from my mind to the actions on the screen. It was a big reason why I was an extremely good player. I mean, I had/have some pretty hardcore gaming friends who are highly competitive, consistently whoop(ed) my ass on all other games, but couldn't hang with me when it came to Smash.

Once Melee debuted for Gamecube, I suddenly became an average player. I felt they changed the controls slightly enough that it just didn't feel right to me anymore. I was never a fan of the actual GC controller either, so that didn't help. It also felt like the game became more and more about items and interactive stages than actual fighting skill. It didn't feel as pure. Sort of like the difference between regular basketball and Rock N' Jock basketball.

I knew that Brawl was moving even further in that direction, but I had hopes that, at least, the control might feel tighter. With so many controller options (GC, Wiimote, Wiimote/Nunchuck, Classic) I figured there had to be one that I'd fall in love with. Well, I've tried all but the classic controller and so far I feel even less in tune with the on screen action than I did in Melee, which is obviously disappointing. I guess I just miss the simplicity of the original.

Then there's the matter of the online service sucking terribly. I tried 4 or 5 times, for a total of about 30 minutes, to connect to an online match last night and never saw even one other person. This isn't just a problem for myself, as many players have posted similar complaints across the internet.

How could Nintendo drop the ball on this one? It's the first massively popular multiplayer game on their system and they've had plenty of time, even without the multiple delays, to prepare for it.

Blah.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

I finally got it last night as well and put a couple of hours on it. Needless to say i was rusty and it did take a while to get a feel for the controls...i'm still adjusting. Im not totally in love with it but i'm sure after i get more familiar with the controls (at least until it becomes second nature) and I start to know everyones moves then I will like it a lot more.

The missions are fun though and it does have some great cut scenes.

I always liked starfox and nothing has changed...i just need to stop darting off the ledges when I do the forward special :(

Pikachu was also a favorite but im a bit disappointed that they changed his lighting strike saying from "PII-Kaaaaa--CHUUUUUUU" :(

20. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats funny cause to me it felt the opposite. The original smash bros game was better using the items like poke balls, home run bats etc.... Melee was more about actual fighting skills. Most people I know who play it turn off the items and just go at it and the best one usually wins.