1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 19, 2014.

?

Seahawks or Broncos?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2014.
  1. Seahawks

47.9%
  2. Broncos

52.1%
  1. lean

lean Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gk-Q9GVvTc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you have to find a way to acknowledge Wilson and Kaepernick's rushing statistics.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;Not embarrassing at all. I would never use that word. The word embarrassing is an insulting word, to tell you the truth.&quot; - Peyton Manning</p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/statuses/430190457763557376">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I acknowledge them by calling them game managers with wheels. That acknowledges their plus scrambling ability while still calling them what they are.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It seems that you scream "CHERRY PICKER" vey time someone uses facts to refute what you're saying. It's possible you're just wrong. Wilson is a good qb who is only in his 2nd year.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Since folks are talking about Wilson being the 2nd black QB to win a SB, Tavaris Jackson won a ring tonight too.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's good when he's being babied, there's no way of knowing how he'd react if they took the training wheels off. As long as he is only asked to throw the ball about 20 times per game, you can't honestly call him a good QB. Almost any QB would look good under those conditions. They ask the big boys to toss the ball literally twice that often and I think his numbers would take a dive if given the workload expected of an above average QB in the NFL.

9. Mr. Space City

wilson does what is necessary and makes plays when he can.

is he 4500+ passing yards 40+ td elite? no. he's more of alex smith with better running ability.

but i like how he effectively helps move the ball down the field either with his arm or his feet.

he plays like how a true dual threat qb should play.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You have to do better than that. Quantify their entire contribution to their teams and compare that to other quarterbacks. I don't know where they'd fall, but just by watching them I know they contribute more than obvious game managers like Trent Dilfer.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

What? Ben Roethlisberger.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they aren't like Trent Dilfer, but they are just game managers and they wouldn't work for most teams. You put Kap or Wilson on a team with an average or poor defense and their teams don't sniff the playoffs.

They are much more talented than Dilfer, but they are riding amazing defenses just the same.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Big Ben.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I never realized Kaepernick was known as a game manger. And Smith's 7.01 Y/A is right where league average would be. Just look at the distribution of QBs by Y/A and you'll see why that stat is important. Very few players can get it above 8 consistently, he's done it in his first two seaons.

I agree Russell doesn't throw for a ton of yards, which is something Seattle is not asking him to do. That said, game mangers don't consistently make the 2nd and long and third down throws that he makes. He doesn't take the easy dump offs, and the stats back that up.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's not much strength in that statement though. You won't hear Jackson touting that particular stat, just like you won't hear Milicic say he played any part in the Pistons beating the Lakers in the Finals, and becoming an NBA champ.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you take the fewest passing attempts in the league just a few long completions completely skew your numbers. I'd love to see what RW's numbers would look like if he actually had to throw the ball as often as above average QB's in the NFL are expected to. In fact, the top QB's in the NFL average more passes per game than Russell Wilson's highest total in any one game in his career.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So you're arguing that basically because they're not asked to throw a lot, you believe they are not able to throw a lot.

Until they get on a without a proper running game, we can't know if that is true or not, but I still think Russell (and Kap) is better than Flacco. Will not put him above Brees, P. Manning, Brady but I think they're in the second group of people like Big Ben, P. Rivers, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning.

Statistically they're doing as well or better than that second through two seasons of starting.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see no reason to think that they are capable of throwing the ball literally twice as often as they ever have before. You can't claim that you can ride a bike till the training wheels come off.

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Some of the throws Wilson did make tonight were outstanding. He has a strong arm. This kid is much much more than a game manager. He can make all the throws as the top tier QBs. I do agree with BobbytheGreat about Kapernick however, but not Wilson. Wilson is a stud who can do it all.

And Bruno Mars was great.