1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl watched in second-most homes behind final episode of `M-A-S-H'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Damn, there must be a lot of Steelers fans.... :eek:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...B?slug=ap-superbowl-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
    February 6, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' victory over the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl was watched in an average of 45.85 million homes, the second-highest total in television history behind the final episode of `M-A-S-H' in 1983.

Pittsburgh's 21-10 victory Sunday got a 41.6 preliminary national rating, Nielsen Media Service said Monday, up slightly from the 41.1 rating last year. The share remained the same at 62.

The game was watched by an estimated 141.4 million people in the United States, ABC said, the second-highest total to view a program behind the 144.4 million who tuned to New England's victory over Carolina in the 2004 Super Bowl. That number estimates the total amount of people to watch the game at any point.

The estimated average of 90.7 million people -- or the estimated number of viewers throughout -- was the largest Super Bowl audience since the Steelers last played in the title game in 1996, a loss to Dallas that attracted an average of 94.1 million people watching. This year's audience was 5 percent bigger than the 86.1 million people who watched the Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles last year.

In 1983, the final episode of `M-A-S-H' was watched in an average of 50.15 million homes.

Super Bowl viewers feasted on another halftime show controversy, when the NFL briefly shut off Mick Jagger's microphone to avoid sexually-suggestive lyrics in two Rolling Stones songs. ABC also scored solid ratings for an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" following the game.

While the Steelers won by 11 points, the game wasn't really decided until the final five minutes or so, which kept the audience attracted, said Larry Hyams, ABC research executive.

"The Super Bowl obviously is a national event and people are going to tune in regardless of whether the teams have national appeal," Hyams said. "It's up to the game to hold the audience."

The Super Bowl is traditionally the biggest television event of the year. The Academy Awards, jokingly called the Super Bowl for women, often comes in second; last year, 41.5 million people saw the Oscars.

Pittsburgh had the largest Super Bowl rating (percentage of all sets, whether on or off) of any media market, with a 57.1, Nielsen said. Seattle followed directly behind with a 55.

The "Grey's Anatomy" episode after the game was seen by 38.1 million people, Nielsen said. That's 15 million more than has ever watched a single episode of the medical soap. It was the most-watched entertainment program of the season so far -- even beating "American Idol."

Since 1991, only two post-Super Bowl programs have drawn a bigger audience: "Survivor" in 2001 and "Friends" in 1996. It was solid exposure for a series that has already been growing in appeal during its second season.

At halftime, Jagger was silenced during portions of the songs "Start Me Up" and "Rough Justice." An NFL spokesman said the band knew ahead of time that the league -- still skittish over Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction from two years ago -- wouldn't accept the particular lyrics.

"It wasn't that big of an issue for us," said Frank Supovitz, the NFL's senior vice president, who said the league wanted to make the halftime show family entertainment.

2. mateo

mateo Member

That was the first and last time I ever watch Greys Anatomy.

Freaking Allie McER In the City. BLEAH.

3. Mr. Brightside

Hehe, you got conned into watching Greys Anatomy. Sneaky ABC, starting that show 10 minutes after the SuperBowl ends. I did find it odd there were no locker room interviews or anything, but I guess they wanted to plug their show, while people were still sitting down.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Makes sense, hell, I watched it though...Horrible game, even more horrible commercials...

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I think they also wanted to pimp the fact that ESPN is taking over Monday Night football and want you to get used to it by tuning into post-game coverage on ESPN.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

maybe the refs got stage fright

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

It's pretty amazing that the M*A*S*H record has stood for so many years now.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

That show was/is the bomb... (no pun intended). I thought I read that this year's viewing of ther Superbowl was down from last year's on Fox, guess that was just projections.

9. Fatty FatBastard

No it isn't. MASH was before cable, and this is market-share; not total # of viewers.

MASH's market share record will probably never be broken. Their are simply too many choices.

10. oomp

oomp Member

Every time I see this thread I keep thinking... "It was a baby and not a chicken!"

11. m_cable

m_cable Member

Not really. That was back in the days of three tv networks and that's it. Nowadays with so many other entertainment options like five networks, cable TV, internet, and video games, it's so much harder to attract such a massive audience. For example, every single huge "Finale" in the past decade (Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends) has gotten progressively smaller ratings.

That MASH record will stand for a long time, until the population of the United States increases enough to offset the diversity of entertainment options.