1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Who Wins Super Bowl LVIII?

1. Chiefs

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 49ers

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uhh well technically if you elect to kick off and the other team scores a TD, you still control your own destiny by going for 2 if you make it to the endzone. I think the team that scores first would be idiotic to go for 2, so they would take the 7 points.

So to weigh the chances of making a 2 point try which is around 50:50 vs giving the ball back to mahomes needing just a FG which lets be honest is more like 80% chance Mahomes gets there, going for 2 is the smart decision, so SF would have controlled their own destiny even if they deferred to start OT

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[unpopular opinion]
    I don’t like the OT rules. Defense should be as important as offense and if your defense can’t stop the other team from scoring maybe you deserve to lose.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Great point on Twitter. How demoralizing for other teams to see the Chiefs win? The Chiefs were not dominant, but got the job done when it counted. Underdogs on the road. Mahomes Magic.

Another great point. For teams who build like SF. Great defense. Offensive weapons. Cheap QB. Does it work? It didn’t against KC.

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

WRs yes, not TEs, that should’ve been a last draft thing. None of the TEs (outside of Bowers) are worth a pick better than 4th, the second best TE prospect went back to school and there’s not a ton of depth.

If Bowers does (and that’s a very long shot) fall to 12-15, I would not at all hesitate to trade up for him. It was be Stroud’s playmaking, safety valve - similar to Kelce.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wanted the Chiefs to win. I want the Texans to be the young and upcoming team to take them out.

Mahomes is obviously a really good player, but I don't see how you could watch that game last night and even remotely put him in the goat conversation.

He didn't show until OT he could even drive the length of the field. Getting gifted a TD by the 49'ers changed the game.

On to next season.

Sooty likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't work for a team with a not cheap QB like Josh Allen as QB either. They were out coached by Reid.

solid and ROCKSS like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I see no issues with the way they built their team. They were one play away from winning a championship. That’s pretty good. In the end their “great defense” couldn’t get a stop and their kicker missed an extra point that came back to haunt them.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'd be fine with this as long as we get rid of the coin toss in OT and just continue play exactly as things were when the 4th quarter ends.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Man...........what a great game, the 49`ers were so dominate in the first half I thought they would run away with it but as Corso says........not so fast my friend, you cant bet against Mahomes, the kid is phenomenal. So many ebbs and flows with major mistakes and injuries thrown in to make it a crazy game. Tswift magic is real I tell ya :D

I am the old man get off my lawn dude, but I am sorry, Usher sucked.........are you a dancer or singer? You lipped synch through everything and pretty much gave up on the last song and didn't even try.....give him props for dancing and sweating his butt off but I want someone who actually sings his songs. A Keys was the best part

10. Major

Major Member

Defense IS at important. KC won because their defense held SF to a FG instead of a TD. SF lost because their defense couldn't prevent KC from scoring a TD.

11. Major

Major Member

Brady had his share of ugly superbowls. Is there any NFL QB that was great 100% of the time of 100% of their games?

A_3PO, ROCKSS and Rocket River like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And they fumbled a punt that gifted the Chiefs 7 points. The Niners were absolutely good enough to win that game last night...and they clearly were good enough to get there.

Newlin, ROCKSS and solid like this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Turnovers turn games. Same for Ravens two weeks ago.

MadMax likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

That punt was just sheer bad luck. Doinked off a dude's ankle. Return man should've fallen on it, but he did good to even get near the ball given the awful bounce it took.

The 49ers absolutely let this one get away. They had so many opportunities and never capitalized. Coaches and players both. Shanahan is getting absolutely dragged across the NFL right now for his big game chokes.

Mahomes is basically GOAT-in-waiting but the Chiefs absolutely do not go all the way this year without their defense. They were tremendous in these playoffs and kept the Chiefs in the hunt during the year when the offense was struggling.

A_3PO and MadMax like this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I guessed the right result, but I wouldn't say it was because Reid outcoached the 49ers and Mahomes finished well but struggled a lot too. Gotta be frustrating as a 49ers fan that some of the biggest influences on your loss was that punt (still not sure who's fault it was that it ended up hitting the blocking player's foot) and a bizarre, completely random injury to one of your better players who would have been tasked with trying to stop one of the other team's best players (Kelce).

I'm not sure I really get the Purdy hate. He looked pretty good to me and certainly held his poise despite some pretty intense pressure for much of the game. If I was a Niners fan I would be very encouraged by his performance. He showed out pretty well on the biggest stage.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Funny that this is your take. It was very clear Usher was not lip syncing. You could hear how out of breath he was several times.

Huge props to him for that. His routine was very involved and he didn't take the easy way out.

Also, generally speaking, the music choice was all good. Mid 2000s~ hip-hop and R&B. Big hitters all the way through.

The only thing that was missing was Andre 3000 showing up and busting out into either Hey Ya or Bombs over Baghdad.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The only part I watched was when the Chefs kicked a field goal to force it to OT. I knew once it went to OT that the Chefs would win...BLECH!!

The only thing I am going to say is I love how Kelce blew up at Fatso Andy Reid on the sidelines, screaming and cussing at him and even bumping him. Does Reid do the right thing and recapture his manhood and tell Mr. Swift to hit the showers and not come back?? Hell no - because he is a gutless clown who got completely emasculated on national TV. This **** would have never happened to Lombardi, Landry, Shula, or even Belichick or really any coach with self-respect about themselves. Obvious the players run that team instead of the coaches....

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Andy Reid is better than Bill Bellichick. He's had Success on multiple teams with different quarterbacks.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's not act like the 49ers didn't get the benefit of Detroit self destructing.
    2 dropped passes could have had Detroit in the Superbowl

no matter how good or bad a team is . . . . Any Given Sunday . . . .

Rocket River

ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Meh. I have nothing against Purdy
    but I can say . . . . the hype he was getting was nearing Swift/Kelce level of annoyance.
    (not there but getting there)
    Seeing Memes about he should have been MVP this year . . . yadda yadda yadda

He played a damn decent game

I said several weeks ago . . . . .. . 3 types of QBS
    1. Wins you games
    2. Loses you games
    3. Game Managers that doesn't win it or lose it for you. - That was Purdy last night

There were some plays he could have made that were Game Winning Plays
    but IMO he did not make any GAME LOSING Plays either
    (some misses are just misses. Some times the defense is just good . . . nothing a QB can do about that)

When it was nut cutting time. .. Mahommes made the play to win . . . Purdy didn't
    I was listening to Shannon and he said something meaningful
    While Mahommes made that game winning play . . . it was simply great play design

SHANNON: The 49ers Coaches just needed to tell that DB that "Sorry man, I put you in a bad position"

I could have thrown that touchdown pass . . . . .he was so open

Rocket River