1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

As a fellow minority, I'm from Pakistan, I will support the Suns and fellow Latino community!

Down with this bogus law!

McCain oughta be ashamed of himself!

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What does John McCain have to do with anything?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

1) I think the Suns are going to win the series, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't
    2) I was watching nbaTV tonight and they showed Popovich being interviewed stating that he loves what Sarver and the Suns are doing and that he supports them 100%. He also stated that he's not a politician but that he thinks the law is overreacting bs (I'm paraphrasing). He went on to explain that many politicians have passed the buck and done nothing to address the immigration issue so that's a shame, but that his law is too far-reaching. He compared it to 9/11 and the Patriot Act. Security matters should have been addressed way before 9/11 happened, but the Patriot Act is overreacting bs with a political agenda (Pop didn't say this last sentence, but I'm inferring that this is what he means)
    3) Spurs owner said he supports what the Suns are doing 100% and would have loved to join in with the Los Spurs jersey's but the logistics didn't work out.

Anyhow, your statement that you're glad the Spurs are not doing anything is basically going against what the Spurs organization is saying. Not a big deal either way, but just pointing out that you're misinformed.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Nice anti-boycott move.

When you have drugs and human trafficking and brutal murders on your border, you'd feel to close it off. Some of the methods for sweeping up seem a bit impractical. Can you tell who's from Canada and who's from Wisconsin? But something has to be done. Not one person should be murdered from someone who's in the country unlawfully.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Damn this was already posted I just posted this in debate

6. Steve_Francis_rules

The law is overwhelmingly popular in Arizona. If anything, they are risking protests by coming out against a law that is very popular in their state.

7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

He's a senator in Arizona.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Never heard about the whole Spurs owner and Gregg Pop thing... I just don't see how bringing politics to the court will do anything. Sure it wont hurt, but why even go through the trouble of even adding criticism from anyone. Just play the series, who ever wins, wins. I'm against the new law, but I just don't see a point in bringing it on the court.

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He has nothing to do with this, but don't let that stop people from being uneducated.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

.................please go take a high school government class.
    This is a state law. McCain has nothing to do with whatever laws Arizona passes, as he is a federal senator. Jesus.

As for the Suns doing what they did, I guess it's allright, and while I think the law is a good idea that might go a little too far, it is interesting to see an organization protest like this. The only concern would be that they might get tangled in more controversial issues, which would be bad for business and basketball, but we can worry about that when it happens.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's the LEADER OF ARIZONA! Duh.

12. adoo

adoo Member

this is the USA, land of opportuniity, a nation founder by immigrants.

13. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

What's the source? I'd like to post this on my facebook lol

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good point. There is slippery slope potential.

Then again, i'm sure the suns have a vested interest in keeping the law off illegals back...i'm sure they have quite a few on the payroll around the stadium.

15. conquistador#11

Ol 'mavrick' has everything to do with it. He's come out in public and defended this law, when he could have easily stood up against it or just pretended he had no recognition of such law and that his was saddened by it.

Mccain is also a sports fan. Who can forget how he named linemen of the steelers to the enemy while being tortured, only to escape and kill an entire enemy division with his bare hands and a shoe lace. So if any politicians in Arizona enjoy watching the suns, this will be like giving them the finger.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there's a business angle, but I don't think it is a concern about boycotts. Their games won't get boycotted in Phoenix if they say nothing. Their away games might get boycotted (though I doubt it), but the home team is the one who makes the money there anyway. I think they actually take a financial risk by denouncing a law that is popular in Arizona because their home games could get less attendence (though it's the playoffs, so probably not).

I think it does have HR implications (which, in a way, makes it sincere). The team is mostly made up of minorities and foreigners who are sensitive to issues of racial profiling. Moreover, in the offseason, they will be courting free agents who will be sensitive to racial profiling. As the free agents weigh the options of what team to sign with, they might have reservations about moving to a state that embraces institutionalized racism. So, it behooves the Suns to come out and tell their own players and these free agents that they object to this law and that they don't agree with the racism of the state government to offset the chilling effect.

17. Day

Day Member

yep, founded on legal immigrants not Illegal immigrants.
    you need to attach the illegal part when referring to this law

18. SunsRocketsfan

im a suns fan but i think it's lame they are getting into politics.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Do you comprehend the difference between and ILLEGAL and a LEGAL immigrant?

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what does being illegal or legal have to do with the "immigrants" who founded this country? I didnt realize passports where needed when the indians walked over here and the europeans/asians sailed over here. How did Amerigo vespucci And columbus do on their citizenship exam?

History goes a lot further than George Washington.

1 person likes this.