1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Suns getting ready to blow it up!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nolocke, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Phoenix Front Office is trash.

Every year for the last 5 drafts they have traded away their pick for cash or future consideration.

Among the picks traded are Luol Deng, Rajon Rondo, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez and Nate Robinson.

Put those guys around Nash and you have a pretty deep bench but Suns are cheap so once again they will giveaway a quality pick to another team for a few bucks.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Blowing it up was inevitable the moment they traded Marion for Shaq.

3. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Rudy Fernandez, Rajon Rondo, Nate Robinson, Luol Deng are all first round picks that the suns have traded away for the last 4 drafts. The first rounders that they have kept are Robin Lopez and Alando Tucker. Its like the suns are cursed in the draft or something. Watch this year's pick that they traded be someone that suns fans are going to regret giving away like those other guys. While the 28th pick will probably be someone that is a 13th man on the team. Oh yeah and I think OKC has like two or three 1st round picks next year so it wont matter if they dont make the playoffs, they can trade the later one.

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Obviously Phoenix was the hardest place hit by recession. Suns HAVE to cut some salary

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not the front office's fault. You think Steve Kerr wakes up in the morning, rubs his hand in glee and says "Damn, I wonder how much my first round pick will fetch in the market today?"

Sarver is the dude to blame. He's the one who basically orders Kerr to sell away all their assets the past few years. He really shouldn't have bought the franchise if he wasn't committed to putting quality product on the floor.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

8. worzel gummidge

If the Suns trade Shaq for only Wallace & Pavloviv. The Suns would save $2M of LT this season and cut around $5M from their team salary for next season.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

What is everyone elses take on the Phoenix situation? As mentioned Shaq is about to be moved, but do you think theyre going to move any more pieces? I dont think they would, but Im not fully aware on their financial situation. I know its bad and their close to the LT, but how close? Do you think an Amare deal would still be on the table for us, assuming there was/is one?

10. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Even if they move Shaq they will still be a bit over the LT last I checked, unless they buy those new guys out. I really believe that the Suns won't be done trading their old guys away. I also heard that Grant Hill won't be back for them this coming season. When they can't sign a guy that only makes 1.9 mil a year to an extension you know they are hurting.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

SUPPOSEDLY Chris Broussard reports that it's 50/50 that Shaq goes to Cleveland tonight or tomorrow.

I say supposedly because I don't have a link, but It's been highlighted by the mods on a Cavs board which means Broussard probably reported it. I'm assuming this might be in the ESPN Insider chat going on right now.

12. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

Amare and Nash for McGrady, Landry and Brooks. Morey will figure out the rest!

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Five years ago it was almost certain Phoenix was going to at least reach the NBA Finals once if not win it all a few times. Look at them now. No Finals appearances and not even a playoff team last season. Add to that an outlook of being in the NBA lottery for the next few years if things keep progressing as rumored.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

With the latest rumors saying that the Cavs and Suns currently have six possible three-way deals tentatively set up (presumably, depending on how the draft unfolds), would you jump in as the third team to the following Shaq deal?:

Cavs get: Shaquille O'neal

Suns get: Ben Wallace, Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey

Rockets get: Sasha Pavlovic, #14 overall pick

The Suns would buy out Big Ben to save money and would have a quality young big man to show for it in Carl Landry (an asset they wouldn't have had under the current two-team iteration of the Shaq trade). Dorsey is just another young player for a rebuilding roster.

The Rockets would waive Pavlovic (whose $4.9M salary for next year is only guaranteed for $1.5M) and select Earl Clark at #14.

I think this trade would get the Suns to follow through with the Shaq deal, and it would fulfill those on this BBS who think that Landry is worth giving up in order to get Earl Clark (think of a young Lamar Odom).

Just a thought.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't know about that. They are like the Florida Marlins (without the titles of course) in the sense that while they tear it down a lot, they always rebuild it back up very quickly and do not suffer long droughts of mediocrity.

16. Cam_Bron_James

I don't mind this trade actually. Pav + 14 may be ok!

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The other good thing about such a trade would be that it would allow the Rockets to trim their payroll by about $1M or so after they waive Pavlovic.

I think you will probably see a Shaq deal occur at some point late tomorrow night in order to account for the status of Phoenix's #14 pick. If that pick is involved in any three-team trade, the third team would not agree to complete a deal unless its targeted player is actually available at #14.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The Cavs' main beat writer says the Shaq deal is extremely close now.

Most Cavs fans were hesitant (like any other fans) to jump the gun, but I think we're all buying this as legitimate now. Fans seem to be split 50/50 though on actually wanting to get Shaq.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope the Former-bench-warmer-turn-GM era ends soon.

Steve Kerr
    Danny Ferry
    John Paxson

God, these guys are horrible as GMs.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

If we didnt have Yao Id take Shaq. Lets just see if he is as good or can keep it up the way he played in Phoenix. We know Phoenix medical staff works magic.