1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns express interest in KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 18, 2022.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The price for KJ really has gone up the past month. Whereas before I think the idea of getting a first-round pick for him was stretching it a bit, now a late first doesn't seem like enough.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets would be a bit foolish to trade him at this point. Does he have superstar potential... probably not, but I definitely think he's a starter, and a really popular player for fans in the near future. His defense, and 3 point shooting has just really improved this year making him able to fit on nearly any team. If he was 2 inches taller I think he'd be getting 20 million a year from some team in free agency that desperately needs that 3/4 versatile 3 and D guy.

I like JaSean Tate, but it makes no sense to me when he comes back to give him KJ or Eason's minutes. That's the future IMO. Jabari is a potential future star so they have to still have to treat him as such, but right now the team would be dumb to not ride the wave, and start KJM and Eason as the primary 3/4 combo. I would look to trade JaSean and EG. Not trade KJM who looks like the future you want to build.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I would move him, but I would not give him away. They need to be trying to move Tate at this point. He is older and has less upside.

amaru, Qan, raining threes and 18 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Good role player. He's shown that for quite some time. Never tries to do too much and plays within himself. A winning team should by no surprise want him on their roster as a rotational player

6. monster

monster Member

I'm a big KMJ fan.....hope they keep him

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Weren't the Suns also rumored to be in on EGo? What would those two fetch together?

If there's a way you can trade KJ and use the trade to stock the cupboards for a trade up for Victor or Scoot, you do it. I just don't think any team will trade out of 1 or 2, so I think it's a no for me.

ramotadab and Y2JT like this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

2 1sts.. They don't need em..

9. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

KMJ has become one of my favorite Rockets this season

His dunks and blocks are absolutely electric, and while his team defense may need some work, I think he has the potential to be a solid contributor in the NBA

I really, really hope they find a way to keep him. He was a steal for where we drafted him, and I think he has shown that he deserves the minutes he's been getting.

If we are going to trade somebody, trade Ego and free up more time for the youngsters to play

#9 slothy420, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  10. Good Times

Good Times Member

He’s the perfect 3 and D role player. Plays hard but doesn’t try to be the star and wants to make the right plays. From the looks of it he just wants mins. Gordon and Tate try to be the 2nd or 3rd guy, that just doesn’t work when we have Green, Sengun, Porter and eventually Smith looking to all be go-to players. I think it would be a big mistake to trade guys like KMJ, Easton and Garuba who look to complement others and hustle their butts off even when they don’t get touches.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

any chance we could do a KMJ+Gordon for Bridges swap? i'm not sure how Suns value Bridges at the moment but he would be a god-send for us and a fantastic fit next to Green.

Y2JT likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Gonna sound weird but...not sure I'd trade KJ at all. Alpie/Green/KJ/Garuba all have good synergy. Jabari will come along eventually as will Tari. We don't need any more draft picks. I'd rather shop Gordon and Tate for a real PG or a real rim runner.

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'm not trading KJ at this point but they can have one of our many shooting guards.

persian hoopa and crimsonghost like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, even I have started looking at KJ differently, he has added more to his game than I thought capable.

I would still trade him because of the logjam, and he will not look that great at 18 million per.

Kinda gives me more hope with Smith, but Smith has none of the athleticism of KJ.

ramotadab, Bo6 and dobro1229 like this.
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They need to move Tate

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL this coming on the heels of news that KMJ actually WANTS to stay in H-Town now.

17. xaos

xaos Member

KMJ is the kind of player who has a positive impact on the game, but you're not exactly sure what his upside is due to some of his current limitations. He'd benefit a ton from players like Luka, Harden, CP3, Lamelo, etc.

persian hoopa and ramotadab like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The math doesn't t probably work but I would sincerely consider trading KMJ for CP3 just so we have a on the court coach. CP3 would instantly be the best head coach on this team as soon as he got traded here.

I mean ya I get it. You are potentially trading away a potential core starting forward for the next half decade for a over the hill pg but it's CP3 man.

#18 fchowd0311, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He’s not but he has the height and length to be maybe even more effective when he fills out and gets that very extensive offseason training that many nba veterans get between their rookie and veteran offseasons.

KJ Martin senior knows that out of the gate his athleticism is what’ll make him most effective in his early seasons vs what he’ll be after 5 or 6 seasons which is why I think he tried to push him to get traded to a contender now. He doesn’t have the length and height that someone like Jabari has so he needs to be playing meaningful basketball now. In a few years he might be more Jae Crowder like if he suffers some injuries that ground him more. But he can only benefit from being known as a reliable Jae Crowder type
    of player to the nba if he’s getting PT now and not treated like a project.

So yeah.. the Rockets need to play him now because his athleticism is his value at the moment. Ride the wave and realize the moment. That’s one great thing about Morey is he really did a great job of maximizing young players and that value they showed earlier than later was used to rebuild the team with the big swings that matter later on.

ramotadab and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL you can't be serious.

Can you?