1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns exploring trade for Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 2, 2014.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Except when it is the Suns, then we do judge names and draft picks. Right?

2. DragonBlade

DragonBlade Member

Hey guys,... Suns fan here.

I usually like to lurk through the "enemy's" boards when the Suns play them, so thus I discovered this board which seems like a generally well informed one. I'd just like to point out a few mistakes that "Voice of Aus" and a few other posters keep reapeting.

Well I guess I am goin to address it. Ryan Mcdonough or as he's known in this parts, McStunna aka McMiracle in his first year as a GM in this league did the following,...

He got us Bledsoe for Dudley,
    Sent Scola to Pacers for Green, Plumlee and a first round pick, Plumlee by the way (huge snub for the Rising stars NOLA game),
    Sent Gortat (+ Marshall) to the Wizzards for Okafor's expiring contract which might get us Gasol
    He also git rid of Butler (part of the three way Bledsoe deal which secured Riddick for Clippers) for Ish and Kravtsov

Dude's a GM rock star for god sakes! GM of the year shoo in for sure.

Now it's true, we did have some terrible GM decisions made by the previous GM Blanks (I make three turns and spit every time I mention his name,... otherwise it means 3 years of bad luck). Dismantling our 2nd unit that made it to the 2010 conference finals, trading Goran away to you for Brooks and a first (maaaaaan), horrible public relations, getting in fights with the players (J. O'neal),... I could probably go on for a while.

But on the other hand we did get the Dragon back while he was still in office (though the owner was actually the one pushing for Goran). So I would like to sincerely thank your brilliant GM for not giving Goran his 4th year option. Currently he's arguably on the best contract in the league, his All star snub is resonating through the NBA (just like Lance's and Lowry's in the East. The Dragon is currently at the 9th spot in the MVP rankings,

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/

...and is 1st in PER amongst SGs, 3rd amongst PGs and 14th overall!

Oh yeah,... and did I mention,... the only player, besides KD and LeBron, that is averaging 20 pts and shooting over 50%. Oh, and if you add assists to that stat,.... KD drops out!

So thank you again mr Morey,... from all the Suns fans,... sincerely thank you.

I would also like to thank Morey for sending Mook over to us to reunite him with his brother. He's currently a vital piece of the "Bench mob" 2nd unit averaging 10.1, 4.2 and 1.1 with his brother Keef who was allready awarded "player of the week" honors once this year and is averaging 16.2, .484FG% with 6.2 2 ass and 1.2 blocks in the past week.

Morey's been a fantastic GM as far as the Suns fans are concerned,... wouldn't dare to judge if the same applies to you guys as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. gaspar

gaspar Member

The Suns hired a new GM last summer - Ryan McDonough. His only picks were Len (who already makes an impact on the defensive end and is only 20 years old) and Goodwin (2nd youngest player in the league, was great in the summer league). And it's not like last year's draft was loaded with can't miss prospects.

Trades the Suns new GM made last summer:
    Dudley and TOR 2nd round pick for Bledsoe and Butler
    Butler for Ish Smith and Kravtsov
    Scola for Plumlee, Green and 1st round pick
    Gortat, Brown, Marshall and Lee for Okafor and 1st round pick

All favorable for the Suns. Oh and he hired COTY candidate Hornacek.

Also, when McDonough was Ainge's assistant in Boston he was pushing hard to draft Rondo and Avery Bradley.

1 person likes this.
  4. DragonBlade

DragonBlade Member

Just a correction of my previous post in the,

That's of course if you count the 5 assists average as well, if you go with 6,... it's just LeBron and Goran.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

I can give other teams credit when its due. I dont hate teams that are not rockets. Im a big NBA fan but rockets fan first. I liek what the suns are doing over there and playoffs will be interesting

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Good points, I completey forgot that they picked up the new gm.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not mind you giving credit to other teams. But it is a bit strange that you will not give Morey credit for what he has done so far because you want to see how they perform in the play offs. But you will give credit to the Suns without watching what they do in the play offs (if they make the play offs) even though they are clearly a lesser team, and they have clearly a less bright future.

That being said, I do agree that the Suns have made some good moves in the last year. So they are a team I will watch (altough I would not be surprised if they miss the play offs).

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Main reason Lakers + Suns haven't agreed on Gasol trade: Lakers want better draft pick than Suns' current position (17th overall).</p>&mdash; Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/statuses/430459115337293824">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh. The Suns have better options at that price than half season rental of old and often injured Gasol.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Oh the Lakers

want to dump a 19 million dollar expiring contract and receive huge monetary savings and a lotto first round pick in one of the deeper drafts in a while.

If they are going to stand pat on that stance Gasol will continue to be a Laker after this month.

If anything I would think the Lakers would have to be the one giving up a draft pick to dump that large contract of Gasol. After the whole Bynum deal I think getting Okafor's primarily paid for contract is going to be the best they probably will get. The fact that the Suns are already willing to give up the 17th pick is IMO a bit too much on the Suns end.

I am sure other teams would be willing to give a non-lotto first round pick for Okafor's contract in next years draft or the year after to get under the cap.

Or maybe they give back the Lakers one of the picks from the Nash deal. But not in this year's draft.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The thing about this though is that the Lakers have been rewarded continuously for taking this stance. Think about the circumstances under which they ACQUIRED Pau Gasol in the first place. History has been on their side in regards to striking deals that seem overwhelmingly in their favor.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Well that deal was super one sided of course - but the Grizzlies GM was Jerry West the mastermind behind the Lakers first 3peat and Mr. Laker there was more than enough motivation from the Grizzlies end to take a worse deal from LA but it still achieved their end goal from trading Pau.

Since then though? I cant really recall the Lakers getting rewarded for that stance - sure they got Howard but that was for Bynum and a first -- maybe not many teams could take a top 5 center and turn it into the best center for the cost of a first round pick but in the end they were left with nothing after 1 season.

Of course there was the infamous trade that was block but I still think that giving up Gasol and Odom for Paul would have not helped the Lakers. After what happened with Bynum you're left with Kobe and Paul in the backcourt - two guys that need the ball in their hands the majority of the time. I dont know how well that would have worked out for the Lakers.

Even with the Nash signing I didnt think the Lakers got a crazy good deal since it was a super old nash and they mortgaged their future for it in giving 2 first round picks. Sure they were in 'win now' mode but they are paying for it now.

The problem is that the Lakers believe they can get away with it still - but the rest of the owners I would imagine are enjoying that the Lakers are sucking right now - I would be shocked if LA gets a deal better than what they have received so far from teams.

lets not forget that Jim Buss also has a totally different and warped way of running basketball operations - as much as Mitch tries if Jim doesnt sign off of on it the way Dr. Buss did then no deal happens. From everything I heard from LA radio during the Dwight free agency and all Jim Buss wants to make all the decisions himself with little input from a 'basketball brain trust' the way Dr. Buss had West, Mitch, Magic etc.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>League source not w/ Lakers or Phoenix skeptical Suns trade 1st round pick for Gasol, esp. w/ no assurances he would return next year</p>&mdash; Mark Medina (@MarkG_Medina) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/statuses/430485649070620672">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I feel like Pau would love it there and sign immediately.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If they had CP3, surely Dwight would stay..

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gasol out two weeks. {Might complicate any deal.}

17. Play07

Play07 Member

suns May can pull off the okfar for gasol straight up without a 1st round pick. Or only a 2nd round pick included now

18. Remii

Remii Member

That would be a good move for the Suns.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Delusional Lakers.